jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

studying abroad, a great oppurtunity?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image83
    Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago

I'd love to do it too!

Here's my credit card number, and a photo id! OH! Almost forgot! here's my SSN!!

1. fundguru profile image61
      fundguruposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I went abroad for one year to the Netherlands to take part in an exchange programm and I was really impressed.

They mixed the class with international students from plenty countries and made us to do a lot of group work to learn from each other and to learn cross cultural competences.

Also the education system in the Netherlands is totally different. We had every 3 months exams and attendance in class was required, if people missed two hours without apology within one cycle they could not enter the exam. If people were more than 15 minutes late they had bad luck, the rooms were locked from inside.

In addition for nearly all classes every week there were tests, homeworks or presentations to deliver as part of the grades. So it was hardcore learning.

Well and with view to the costs I can only say it was very expensive. For the school I did not had to pay tuition fee, because I came from a partner university, but the living costs were very high.

Just for a room in student housing the rent was about $ 750 per months. And all the prices for food, beverages etc. were there incredible high.

I spend in that year about $ 20.000.

But I think it was worth it, because I leanred a lot in school and could create a large international social network with all the students.

In addition the Dutch culture is really an experience. In the US you will never have the freedom that Dutch people have.

1. 0
        ryankettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Although they are winding that back again, the smoking ban has affected those special 'cafes' that they have in some areas wink

2. prettydarkhorse profile image65
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

ISS in The Hague is a good school in The Netherlands for social sciences. Maybe I am biased but I really like England and US top unis. I presented a research paper in Leiden and yes the culture there is different specially in Amsterdam.
    Studying abroad is a great opportunity indeed because it widens your horizon.

3. Charlotte B Plum profile image89
    Charlotte B Plumposted 5 years ago

I too had an exchange, and it was the best time of my life. Coming from Asia, it was a real eye opener and I totally loved the people that I met.

Many students like to exchange in Singapore, as Singapore is in a really strategic location, so every weekend, these students can take trips to neighboring countries and islands. It's a great place.

I would totally recommend anyone to experience living in another culture!

4. simeonvisser profile image87
    simeonvisserposted 5 years ago

Of course you should come to the Netherlands, it's great over here! big_smile

I did my graduation project in Melbourne, Australia and I enjoyed it very much. Nice way to see more of the world and to learn more of the Australian and Asian culture. Asian, because there are many Asians in Australia and I visited Singapore and Malaysia as well on the way back smile

5. ocbill profile image75
    ocbillposted 5 years ago

studying abroad is a great adventure and experience. As you are careful in the states just apply the same rules there but follow and respect their customs.