jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

1. ceciliabeltran profile image84
    ceciliabeltranposted 5 years ago

I just want to talk about FRACTALs and the applications that are now emerging.

1. Cellphone antennas. Before fractals, cellphones have big antennas. Now by applying a fractal shape, we are able to have better signals without a protruding antennae.

2. coastal lines and its measurement. because fractal geometry can compute roughness, we can now more accurately measure the coastlines.

3. computer graphics. thanks to fractals we can now watch fire engulf an actor while being sure that this actor is unharmed and we'll see him again in another movie.

3. fractals is now predicting patterns in the anatomy that lead to disease.

4. fractals can measure the oxygen produced by a forest.

Does anyone have cool facts about fractals, to educate the trolls? Everybody seems to know about it except the trolls in the religion forums.

2. skyfire profile image74
    skyfireposted 5 years ago

My favorite fractal menger sponge.

3. melpor profile image89
    melporposted 5 years ago

I am familiar with the subject of fractals. The branching of trees and the shapes of clouds are fractals just to name a few natural applications of fractals. It is amazing what you can do with math once you understand the beauty of it and fractals is a clear example of it.

4. ceciliabeltran profile image84

My favorite discovery is the one about the heart. the more balanced the veins are, the healthier the heart. cool right?

5. melpor profile image89
    melporposted 5 years ago

You are right, I read that in one of the articles about fractals a while back.

6. superwags profile image81
    superwagsposted 5 years ago

Fractals can be used to understand tumor growth, so are likely to hve implications in medicine.

7. ceciliabeltran profile image84

"Mandelbrot's "studies of irregular patterns," Gleick indicates, "and his exploration of infinitely complex shapes had an intellectual intersection: a quality of self-similarity. Above all, fractal meant self-similar."

"Self-similarity is symmetry across scale. It implies recursion, pattern inside of pattern. Mandelbrot's price charts and river charts displayed self-similarity, because not only did they produce detail at finer and finer scales, they also produced detail with certain constant measurements....""

this explains it in detail. I forgot the term self-similar. It is inspiring that we repeat an essence to form complexities in our anatomies.  it is the only way we can replicate from a single cell to this complexity that is the human body.