jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

montessori in my point of view

1. 61
    A-khanposted 5 years ago

give your views about this topic
    thanks everybody

2. gypsumgirl profile image93
    gypsumgirlposted 5 years ago

In my opinion, the Montessori method is not for everyone.  From what I have observed, those who are self-starters and can function in little structure do well in the Montessori setting.  Those kiddos who need structure or lack self-management skills really struggle with the concept.  It's all about knowing the child and making the right decision for him/her. 

Some children thrive in the less structured environment, others struggle and behavior declines as time goes on.

1. lorlie6 profile image85
      lorlie6posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with gypsumgirl wholeheartedly.  I put my son into a Montessori setting 20 years ago, thinking it offered 'new' and 'improved' education.
      I did not do my homework, however, and it was a poor choice for my kid-who thrives on structure.

3. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

All three of my children went through Montessori, and my two daughters (now college grads) both plan on getting Montessori certified and opening their own school.

If done properly, Montessori is actually very structured. (I say that because there are four Montessori schools near me and two of them are really little more than daycares.) The whole gist of it to teach children how to learn and make them excited about learning. The Montessori system recognizes that not every child learns at the same pace or at the same time, so when a child shows an acute interest in, let's say, math, they're they to help that along instead of ignoring it because it's not in the curriculum at that particular moment.

I love the Montessori system and it worked out well for my kids.