Grading college students

1. Freeway Flyer profile image86
    Freeway Flyerposted 5 years ago

What do you think is the best system for assessing how well college students have learned anything? How, if at all, would you reform the grading system?

2. munirahmadmughal profile image63
    munirahmadmughalposted 5 years ago

"Grading College Students"
    1. Those who answer the questions correctly according to the syllabus should be graded "c".
    2. Those who apply the knowlege gained by way of examples should be graded "B".
    3. Those who apply the knowledge gained on the problems faced now in the society they live or suggest any other suitable manner to solve them should be graded "A".

3. wingedcentaur profile image88
    wingedcentaurposted 5 years ago

Good Day Freeway Flyer!

I just want to endorse munirahmadmughal's response. I believe he is on to something with the approach he suggests. That methodology begins to get at the issue of what the real purpose of education should be: to make the world a better place (as romantic as that sounds) as opposed to just getting a job.

On the other hand, this method might have the effect of only attracting students with certain specialties to certain classes. For example you, Freeway Flyer, being a history instructor might only get history/political science/sociology taking your classes; and this would have the other effect of providing a more "narrow" perspective or education to other students with other majors. Indeed, just because someone is majoring in communications, with perhaps the hope of becoming a news anchor this doesn't mean that he should take advanced history courses -- this might give him "perspective" which seems to be something our mainstream media has lost entirely. Even if one intends to be a fashion designer, this doesn't mean she shouldn't take advanced history courses.

Still on another hand, munirahmadmughal's approach might also have the beneficial effect of draining the inflation out of the system. It is my understanding that grade inflation/content deflation is running rampant on college campuses throughout the country. I do believe that college students should be able to take the courses they want to without mandatory requirements.