jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

How much information is too much information?

1. kld0517 profile image61
    kld0517posted 5 years ago

I recently read in a forum on a website for the town that I live in that parents are outraged concerning the materials taught in sex education.  I only graduated 6 years ago.  I had sex education starting in the 6th grade when I was 12 years old.  I did not think the material was inappropiate.  I think it has drastically affected the pregnancy and STD rates among teenagers.  I would like to hear any other opinions on the topic.

1. Shahid Bukhari profile image61
      Shahid Bukhariposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A little "Disinformation" is too much Information ...

For lies are cumbersome ... weigh upon the Soul ...
      Whereas Truth, is Universal ... Yet light upon the Mind and Soul ... And there is never, a "Too Much" of Good.

2. SandyMcCollum profile image85
    SandyMcCollumposted 5 years ago

It really depends on what is being taught, and we don't know what it is. Some subjects on sex education don't need to be taught until  much later, but 12 is old enough. It's quite possible that teenage STDs and pregnancies are lower because of it.

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'll agree. smile

2. kld0517 profile image61
      kld0517posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you for the most part.  I haven't heard of any sex education classes starting before the 6th grade which would be 12 which would be the about the time that a child is reaching puberty.  I guess what I'm not getting is how can a parent decide when a child starts sex ed what is appropriate and what is not.  Just because they are given the information does not mean that they will or have to act upon it.  It is just information for the student to have to protect themselves.  I believe that a parent thinking the material is not appropriate is not really seeing the world outside of their house hold and the school environment.  I really believe that they are closing their eyes to what is happening around them.  Just because a person wants to believe that their well behaved, well educated child is not
      going to do the things talked about in sex ed doesn't mean they don't need to know it period.  I'm sorry to tell them they are sadly mistaken about that.  They can at least know that their child has all the information that they need to make the best possible decision.

3. Daniel Carter profile image90
    Daniel Carterposted 5 years ago

It seems many, many parents are cowards in educating their kids on this subject. When this is the case, then they have to accept whatever information is taught to their children about sex, whether it's in a classroom, the play ground or on the street. Further, part of parenting is helping kids understand the experiences and information they have to process. (They can't be protected from a lot of things in the world.) When they don't get this help from parents, it's pretty easy for kids to lose their grounding in values and principles and get pretty messed up.

So, if kids have to learn from other sources than their parents, those parents will have to accept that they may not be quite ready to do their job, in some cases.

1. kld0517 profile image61
      kld0517posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well put, I completely agree.