jump to last post 1-18 of 18 discussions (30 posts)

Are you using your college degree?

1. Sarah Griffith profile image80
    Sarah Griffithposted 5 years ago

Are you in a job now that uses the degree you earned in college?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image82
      Maddie Ruudposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I never got a traditional 4-year degree, so the short answer would be "no."

I do use my knowledge as a certified massage- and aromatherapist in my daily life, but I don't use it specifically in my job here at HubPages... unless you count diffusing essential oils  at home to help me cope with the stress. wink

Sarah Griffithposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Maddie I'd count that! :-)

2. sincerely25 profile image60
      sincerely25posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I'm using my degree.

3. 0
      Baileybearposted 5 years ago in reply to this

4. 0
      mtsi1098posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am using my comp sci degree as a self employed computer consulting company owner...

5. webguyonline profile image61
      webguyonlineposted 5 years ago in reply to this

yeah, i graduated with the course information technology and now i'm a freelance webmaster. ;-)

2. Richieb799 profile image65
    Richieb799posted 5 years ago

In a short answer no. I qualified in Graphic Design but now prefer SEO and Web Design which was a module I learned and this is what I want to do.

3. RudeFoodDude profile image60
    RudeFoodDudeposted 5 years ago

yes but my field of work is hospitality and im a chef and you will commonly stumble upon the argument of the relevance of a degree in that field. Many say you dont need one, I say you don't need one but you should have one because i have tasted the fruit of my labor at school and the juice was definetly worth the squeeze

4. Iontach profile image89
    Iontachposted 5 years ago

Nope! lol can't find a job at all let alone find one in the area of the college degree...sucks big time.

Lontach, did you graduate recently? How long have you been looking for a job?

1. Iontach profile image89
        Iontachposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well yes i graduated last september but finished college last may and I've been looking for a job ever since! lol, It's just due to the lack of jobs at the mo cos of the recession bulls*it. Like there are a lot of jobs in certain areas, but none in areas such as biomed, pharma, or nanotech and so on...sad
        If I had have done a computer sci or IT degree then I'd have a tonne of options right now...

Yea it's hard when you have a specialized degree, but hopefully that degree will set you apart from other candidates at some point.

5. 0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

Well, mine is from my old country, in Canada it is worth nothing. Double dog dare sucks!

6. leahlefler profile image98
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

Not currently. I used my degree (biochemistry/molecular biology) for approximately 8 years in a biotech company, then quit working to stay home with the kiddos.

Finger paint and preschool projects don't really require  knowledge of the Krebs cycle or coagulation pathways big_smile

I don't think there's any degree that you can prepare you for the work involved in the job of stay at home mom!

7. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 5 years ago

nowadays - the Historical Methods and Propaganda (including Poli/Religious Thought) studies seem particularly useful.

But, I created my own curriculum around my interests and now create my own income around my interests .. so maybe it is directly related.

8. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 5 years ago

Also indirectly - academic writing makes up a healthy proportion of my work. smile

9. workingmomwm profile image84
    workingmomwmposted 5 years ago

Nope. I have a Master's in psychology (research psychology), but I work as an audiobook editor.

Well, and now that I think about it, I kind of do - I concentrated on child development, and now I have two children, so that does come in kind of handy. :-)

10. Christene profile image80
    Christeneposted 5 years ago

No, to my father's disapproval.

I have a professional degree in architecture. Was on the path toward registration and then decided I'd rather be home with my daughter.

Loved my education though, and am glad I had it!

11. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago

For some parts of it, yes.

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hey Shadesbreath, you went to college? yikes

I would have never known by your writing. tongue

12. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

Well, I studied real estate band then bought a flat which I am renovating. So I guess the precedent has already been set with Maddie, and therefore yes I have used my degree smile

I just wanted a degree to be honest, wasn't fussed about the career. I'm a bit of a libertine, a mercenary, never wanted the 30 year long 9-5 career. I want to be a mover and shaker, 2 years there, 3 years there, some travel, a book, a bar, whatever comes.

13. Ivorwen profile image83
    Ivorwenposted 5 years ago

While I am utilizing many of the things I learned at college, I am not utilizing my degree.

14. lakeerieartists profile image78
    lakeerieartistsposted 5 years ago

Sort of.  I have an English degree and an accounting minor.

15. Beelzedad profile image60
    Beelzedadposted 5 years ago

Yes, I work at TRIUMF after I graduated UBC. smile

16. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Beelzedad: Have a question about temperature.
    Seems to me the most fundamental of properties is the cold of space and the heat of solar mass from which all else derives. Was wondering how much importance this is given in cosmological physics be there such a thing.

1. Beelzedad profile image60
      Beelzedadposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Usually, with cosmology, it is in terms of "Blackbody Temperature" as opposed to 'kinetic energy' oriented temperature, which we know as hot and cold. smile

17. shogan profile image87
    shoganposted 5 years ago

Yes, in that my degree directly relates to my job.
    No, in that the "real" world mostly requires what colleges can't offer.

18. CalRed profile image60
    CalRedposted 5 years ago

Yeah. Tank God, I am!