jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Almost 80% of graduates unemployed: why the student loan scheme?

1. MyCampusOnline.Ug profile image60
    MyCampusOnline.Ugposted 5 years ago

This topic is in response to the government of Uganda's recent suggestion to start offering loans to college/university students in Uganda. Much as this is a great idea(in fact which has helped many to achieve education),it is not likely to be as effective as it seems because; first of all in uganda  almost 80% of the graduates each year fail to secure formal employment.secondly  there is a very poor banking system where accountabilty is not that embraced or if embraced, not respected. then lastly  the universities can not secure part time jobs for their graduates.  That said,how do you expect an unemployed graduate to pay the debt.May be i need your suggestions if iam judging this move as a negative one.

1. 0
      ryankettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You need to tell me more about the loan structure in order to get an answer. In the UK the loans are low interest and paid back only when you begin earning a certain amount.

A student loan is this country is an entirely seperate entity to a standard bank loan. The quality of any reply to your question is going to depend on you providing further information.

1. 60
        derek summersposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Indeed you are absolutely right, in UK and elsewhere, the repayment of the loans for unemployedstudents starts after six months from getting a job or getting a degree whichever is earlier.

2. barryrutherford profile image38
    barryrutherfordposted 5 years ago

I know nothing about Uganda.  I guess they need skilled people to get the infrastructure in place.  Other than that you would need to ask the Government of Uganda of their intentions