jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Is there such a thing as a gene of self-destruction

1. 0
    Rafickposted 5 years ago

I remember reading, more than 10 years ago, about a gene of self-destruction which leads man to destroy everything he constructs. Looking at how humanity is actively engaged in self-destruction, it seems the gene does exist. What do you think? Do you have any information about the gene of self-destruction?

1. NateSean profile image85
      NateSeanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm open to the idea of it existing, but I'm not open to the idea of giving it complete and utter responsibility for my actions. I'm sure there are a lot of people in prison right now who would gladly blame their genes for their situations.

2. Pandoras Box profile image82
    Pandoras Boxposted 5 years ago

It is interesting, fascinating really, the way many americans want to take the country backwards, and erase all the progress of the last 50 years or so. Rights and freedoms so many have long since fought and died for, and which others in other countries are still fighting and dying for, a segment of our population is ready to throw them all away!

I find that utterly fascinating!

But maybe that's not what you had in mind.

I think self-destruction is mostly a learned thing, on the individual basis. It may be genetically influenced, but I think it's mostly a matter of not seeing -- not knowing -- any other way out. People have not been properly taught how to live.

Of course, I'm always an environment over genetics kind of figurer when it comes to human behavior. Genetics influences, but environment and education trumps it all, imho.

3. 0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

I think genetically we have to preserve life by all costs. When we start destroying it - that means that something is wrong, self-destruction is a work of polluted brain, never mind what caused that pollution. Look at nature things. Just a small example. A captured bird (parrot) starts plucking out all his feathers. A hurt cat goes and poops on his owner's bed. A devoted dog dies on his owner's grave from starvation.

4. superwags profile image82
    superwagsposted 5 years ago

No, there isn't.

5. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

I don't know if it's the same thing as a "self-destruction" gene but there is a "thrill seeker" gene.  The dopamine receptor D4 polymorphism, or DRD4 gene is responsible for alcohol and gambling addictions and people having a certain variant of this gene are more likely to have a history of one-night stands and acts of infidelity.

The gene can influence the brain's chemistry and subsequently, an individual's behavior. Thrill-seekers as a group are more prone to crime than their risk-avoiding peers.