jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Helping Out

1. NateSean profile image84
    NateSeanposted 5 years ago

I don't know how else to word the subject. But basically, I used to help out at my middle school's chess club. It was great playing chess with the kids, helping out with parties and basically being the alumni that actually came back and "gave back" to the community.

Now I'm in a new town and it's not like I'm related to anyone here. Most schools are iffy about bringing in volunteers who aren't parents or otherwise connected to the school. And I know there are a million red flags on a single white male who wants to work with kids but doesn't mind doing it for free.

So I guess my biggest question is, what do you suggest?

2. smalika profile image60
    smalikaposted 5 years ago

What about obtaining a reference or a certificate from the previous school, or maybe ask the staff from the previous establishment where you volunteered to have a word with this school.. that should establish credibility and your integrity.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

Yes, I can see that people might be extra careful when we hear so many horror stories. All of the bad things that can happen make people extra careful, even cynical when someone offers to do something for no apparent personal gain. It's too bad, but it is true.

As a retired teacher, I found that I missed dealing with groups of kids, but I found a way to get that feeling back when I started volunteering at the local history museum. School groups visit there on a regular basis, and giving a history tour to fourth graders is almost like teaching a lesson with lots of great visual aids.

Maybe if you get involved with a local service organization, community group, church, museum or hospital, you will find a place.

1. NateSean profile image84
      NateSeanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Smalikia: I thought about that. Maybe if I present a resume with references, the same way I would if I were applying for a paid position I could include contact info. I know the teacher who ran the Chess Club is always happy to see me when I swing back there.

Rochelle: And believe me, I appreciate their caution. My sister is seven and I'm glad my parents decided to put her in a private school instead of the public school I had to go to. They hire anyone off the streets and there are people working in those schools who have records longer than my arm, but they're still there.

I'll keep an eye out for the opportunities you suggested. The hospital might be the best one for me.