jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Ronald Reagan Assassination Attempt 30 year Anniversary

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

It was 30 years ago today that John Hinkley tried to assassinate then president,Ronald Reagan.
    I can't believe it's been that long. I remember watching it live on tv.There was so much confusion. how did he get so close?
    I watched a program that stated he lost almost 50% of his body's blood...and he still made it..

1. Mikeydoes profile image80
      Mikeydoesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

They said it was pretty standard that people could be that close, if i remember correctly the guy said they had done it like that around 250 times. I can't recall exactly.

Of course if you check the records civilians are never allowed that close from that point on.

I really didn't know much about the whole attempt until yesterday. The guy who saved his life and the doctor were on some program that I saw last night, it was very interesting. I was not even alive when it happened.

Another thing they said was his approval rating was the lowest of any president in the first 90 days.

1. 60
        ShortStoryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wow, you are pretty young!

2. 69
        logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

His approval rating relates how, to the attempted assassination?

1. Mikeydoes profile image80
          Mikeydoesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm not exactly sure if I am answering your question correctly, because I'm not sure what you are asking. That assassination attempt happened something like the 70th day in his presidency, and the bullet missed his heart by 1 inch.

It was just a little fact that they threw in there. I'm sure the shooting didn't hurt his approval rating. Like I said I wasn't alive at that point, so I can't recall, but thats what they said on the program. I didn't know that about him, the only thing I knew about him was his approval rating was the highest of any president, or close to it. I found that tidbit interesting.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image64
          I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There is a direct correlation between Reagan surviving the assassination attempt and a sudden rise in his popularity.

Some little-known facts about the assassination:

All 6 of the shots fired missed hitting the president directly. His wound was caused by a bullet ricocheting off the side of the armored limo and into his chest.

Jerry Parr, the Secret Service agent who pushed Reagan into the limo and was the first to discover the president had been wounded, was inspired to join the Secret Service after watching a movie titled Code of the Secret Service as a boy. The star of that movie was Ronald Reagan, who played a Secret Service agent.

John Hinckley stalked Jimmy Carter, but was arrested at an airport for illegal gun possession before he had the chance to make an attempt on the president's life. He was under investigation by the Yale University police at the time of the assassination attempt, as he had been harassing actress Jodie Foster (a Yale student at the time).

2. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

My husband and I watched the CBS Sunday morning that detailed this - amazing - the hand of God was clearly with him.  The guard that pushed him to safety was not suppose to be working, he acted instinctively and he phoned for the trauma center immediately.  Adding to the miracles where the lack of trauma centers at the time - this was 30 years ago.

Yes, the report detailed that he lost that much blood.

So glad Reagan lived - wish Kennedy had lived.