jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Why people believe weird things...

1. superwags profile image82
    superwagsposted 5 years ago

Inspired by the director of the America Skeptics Michael Shermer's talk on TED: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T_jwq9ph8k

Why do so many people choose to believe ridiculous things when there's so much evidence against them?!

On these forums I have discussed vampires, creationism, homeopathy and religions of all types. Why do people still believe in this stuff?!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4889296_f248.jpg

1. Beelzedad profile image61
      Beelzedadposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You'll often find that those who believe in the supernatural and other forms of nonsense were indoctrinated into a religion. They have accepted without and critical thought the doctrines of their religions, which include the supernatural and all that entails.

They never developed critical thinking skills and happily continued on in their lives believing such things, despite the evidence. smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image89
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good One! smile

3. Jeff Berndt profile image91
      Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That video was mighty! Incidentally, I just brought home a copy of his book. Lots of fun.

4. earnestshub profile image88
      earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A great video, he is a very entertaining speaker too. smile

2. tritrain profile image73
    tritrainposted 5 years ago

I think you will find that many "fringe" people are attracted to internet places because they can find some level of acceptance. Plus these same people may appear ultra normal in society, but here they can share their real thoughts. 

As a gorilla on HubPages, I would think you would understand weird stuff.

Now, if you were to say that you think you're a vampire gorilla then I would think you're really weird!

3. superwags profile image82
    superwagsposted 5 years ago

Give an infinite number of chimpanzees an infinte number of typewriters and they will write the complete works of Shakespeare. yada yada yada...

It's a Sulawesi macaque incidentally, not that I'm pedantic or anything...

No you're right, it's amazing what a bit of anonymoity can do for peope I guess.

4. 0
    Digsposted 5 years ago

I guess I would ask why you seemingly believe in a single dimensional universe wherein reality is based solely upon the empirical.  I cannot account for the vampire aspect of your question or bizarre religious cults, but homeopathy is a proven science, at least to some extent.  There are also certain quarters within the field of physics that support intelligent design.

I would ask your question, of you.  I am not being critical, just curious why you believe what you do?

5. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

"I would ask your question, of you.  I am not being critical, just curious why you believe what you do?" Maybe it's fun.

1. 0
      Digsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not much one can say to your response.  Doesn't really merit a serious answer.  If you believe what you believe because it's fun, then I am happy for you.  Enjoy life my friend.

6. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 5 years ago

There are plenty of real weird things in the world that are true without believing all the invented weird stuff like religion. smile

7. 0
    jomineposted 5 years ago

But you believe in "creationism", don't you?

8. CMHypno profile image90
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

Ultimately, one of the great things about this world is that we are all free to believe what we want to believe. I don't understand why people are so threatened by other peoples beliefs (and this is what leads to the violence), however wacky and different it may seem to them. Live and let live and vive la difference! Who wants to live in a bland, vanilla-flavoured world.

1. recommend1 profile image70
      recommend1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I totally agree with this - everyone should be free to believe what they like and be taught reasoning and critical skills before they are taught to speak!

working