jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

The Human Genome Project

1. superwags profile image82
    superwagsposted 5 years ago

In your opinion, will the Human Genome Project prove to be one of the greatest scientific advances in human history?

The genome project has already proved invaluable to medicine and biology and promises a lot more in the future.

We have mapped hundreds of other animals too and answered previously unanswerable questions on evolution.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree … me-project

2. dingdondingdon profile image61
    dingdondingdonposted 5 years ago

Fascinating stuff. Not being a scientist I probably don't understand the significance as much as I should, but even what I read seems to promise the chance of more amazing gains for medicine.

1. superwags profile image82
      superwagsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm not a biologist, but I have medical friends (and a partner who's a neuropharmacologist - whatever that means) who are constantly raving about new lines of investigation nd remedy for common and nasty diseases. My missus works in cellular aging and reckons that this has pushed the field forward so massively that research can only just keep up!

If you're interested (and from the UK) then the author of that column is on iplayer with a documentary (part one of two, the next one is tonight on BBC4 - I think). Really fascinating stuff.

An interesting aside (if you can't watch said documentary) is him going to India where it's possible to accurately place his mothers' family roots by analysing his DNA.

3. recommend1 profile image69
    recommend1posted 5 years ago

This is indeed fascinating stuff and in its infancy, however, I can't wait for the first few admissions of mistakes etc - the whole field has been far too cocky for my liking big_smile

But then, I am still waiting for the first GM induced plague to hit smile