jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Local Control

1. sholland10 profile image91
    sholland10posted 5 years ago

Do you believe our school districts are losing local control?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No.  You cannot lose what you don't have.

1. sholland10 profile image91
        sholland10posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I believe it still exists, but it does seem like state and federal legislators who have never been in a classroom are passing too many laws that are stressful for our students. Instead of helping, they are creating problems.  I want to know how do we keep control of our own communities?

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No. 1 might be to turn down all federal $ - that removes at least some of their control.  The same might be said of state.

Unfortunately, even private schools must meet federal and state guidelines, which often have requirements that make sense only politically, not with any concern for education or children.

I really don't think local communities have hardly any control at all left.

2. Stump Parrish profile image59
    Stump Parrishposted 5 years ago

In some cases local control is a hinderance. Take Texas for example. Undereducated people have taken it upon themselves to re-write history. They base these decisions on their religious beliefs and ignore the facts that disagree with the bible. I personally feel that American students have the right to a decent education that wil prepare them for a productive life. Texas feels they have the right to an education that will make them better christians. This is nothing more than a continuation of the efforts by the church to control knowledge. Churches would not allow anyone to step up to a pulpit and explain evolution to the congregation and yet, they have no problem entering our schools and teaching their personal beliefs. Why do they fear teaching children to think for themselves? I had a conversation recently that explains what I am talking about. While discussing the age of the planet earth with a close friend, I asked him what he was basing his statement that the planet was a little over 6000 years old. His answer was that he believed in god and that was all the proof he needed. This is one of the primary reasons America has dropped in worldwide ranking in education. Our student cannot comepete with those of other industrial nations and the majority of our citizen and determined to increase our rate of decent. No child left behind is a prime example of what happens when the religious take control of education. They seem to be afraid that if a child is presented with all the facts, they might not buy into the religious mindset. That is a justifiable fear. If you teach children how to think for themselves, they might not be so inclined to believe a bunch of religious dogma.