jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Large Hadron Collider

1. elisabeth reid profile image78
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

Scientific progress or hype or playing with fire?  Is it a waste of time and money or is there something important to be discovered from it?

What do you think?

1. 0
      sandra rinckposted 8 years ago in reply to this

First thanks for the info. about kniting. 

Second, I think it is a great thing.  It could be a total waste of time but it is better than staying where we are at today. 

I am not worried that they are going to do any damage to us.  It seems unlikey that they could accidentally cause a big bang and destroy us because 1.  the particle accelerator can not accelerate the particles at the speed of light, they are very close to it, but not at it, and I would say logically, that to reproduce such a thing they would have to be at or faster than light, which cannot as of this far be done.  So there is nothing to worry about in that regards.

Third, my only concern would be, if they did happen to find the "God particle" or H particle, what would they do with it next.  Then I may question how much further they should go. 

Anyways, they could also discover new things, new ways of thinking and a better understand of our Universe, we never know what the furture will bring unless you try. 

I think it great! I am soooooooooooo exicited.  smile

2. backpackj profile image61
      backpackjposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I think its great and interesting!
      We actually need to move forward on this.
      in the 1970's most people thought we would be
      flying across the solar system by now. Looks like we've
      slown a bit. Any advance in scientific knowledge is always a welcome.

I hope they don't accidentally make a black hole or something though. hehee

3. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 8 years ago in reply to this

According to the Buddha the thought is condidered the smallest particle or building block of the universe.Dont think it can be captured by any instrument. smile

2. 0
    sandra rinckposted 8 years ago

too bad it was shut down for repairs only a day or maybe sooner after it was started.
    Oh well. 

I also heard about some people filing a civil complaint because the really believed they were going to destroy the world.  Silly people.  smile