jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Most intriguing cities?

1. livelonger profile image89
    livelongerposted 5 years ago

What have been the most dynamic, intriguing cities you've visited?

IMHO it seems to depend on the size of the city (most of all) but also the extent to which there's a fusion of cultures (i.e. Los Angeles is a lot more interesting than Phoenix). But some of the cities I'd add to this list, like Bangkok, are pretty monocultural.

What are your thoughts?

1. wavegirl22 profile image49
      wavegirl22posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ah what a fabulous question on a such  rainy dreary evening. For it brings me back to the time after college and before I became a mom. . I used to travel alot for work. Designing and importing  mens silk neckwear brought me to Italy  every 6-8 weeks.

Captivating Lake Como in the foothills of the north  . . the silk center of the world is the city I would like to add to this list.

There I have seen some of the most beautiful gardens and villas surrounding the lake. Less than an hour to the Swiss border Lago do Como has attracted some of the most artistic people in the fashion world.

History intrigues me and it is here that at the end of World War II, Mussolini was captured after passing through Como on his escape towards Switzerland, <he was then shot by partisans in Giulino di Mezzegra, a small town on the north shores of Lake Como>

1. livelonger profile image89
        livelongerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I was in Lake Como as a kid...then I was so bored by it, because it was so tranquil.

You definitely get to appreciate tranquility the older you get - would love to go back now! wink Did not know that it was an artistic center, too.

2. 0
    Valemanposted 5 years ago

I like Edinburgh.  I love the architecture and the narrow streets of the old town and the Georgian elegance of the new.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image94
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

San Francisco, California was so wild, so different, and so full of so many kinds of beauty. . . .that it's really fucking hard for me to believe that the moron that moderates my hubs works there. . . .

4. lorlie6 profile image85
    lorlie6posted 5 years ago

I must say Beijing was a true trip back in 1985 when I studied there, they weren't quite sure if Mao was still the s*it or modernization was, but apparently this is still a question.  Last I heard from the party line was that Mao was 70% right and 30% right.  Hmm, whatever that means...

5. CMHypno profile image89
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

Turin is a fascinating city, as the centre is so old and interesting and the suburbs are very modern and industrialized.  Rome is also a great place to explore.

Having lived in London for many years, it is so vast and diverse that there are parts of it I still have never been to, and the character of the place changes district by district.

And Sydney has to get a mention for its coastline and beaches!

6. Ben Evans profile image74
    Ben Evansposted 5 years ago

Monterrey Mexico is a very interesting city where the urban landscape meets the dry mountains. 

Bacolod City, Philippines is a city of woodcraft and the sugar industry.  It is a smaller thriving city with a very interesting history.