Consciousness

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Mentalist acer profile image60
    Mentalist acerposted 12 years ago

Does Consciousness have a quantum signature?
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5203607_f248.jpg

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mentalist:
      Expound on the "Quantum" aspect of the question pls.
      Qwark

Mentalist acerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can consciousness be determined as something researchers are trying to measure,if so,what methods are being used...or are we going to simply regard it as unquantifiable and leave it there.
        Reference:
        Two subjects with the ability to meditate are told to do so then separated with one measured while looking at a set of pictures while the other is later measured without seeing anything and have identical reactions.wink
        Are there any other methods being applied to measuring consciousness?
        http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5203601_f248.jpg

1. TMMason profile image61
          TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You mean like some of these studies and papers?

I have read through some of these before... they seem to touch on some of what you are asking... but I not sure. So sorry if they are not exactly what your asking about. Your introduction of mediums so to speak, and ESP, have me a lil confused as to whether you want Para-, or Physical-, Sciences and studies. I read them all, so...

I mean there is no single agreed upon definition of Consciousness, so I am grsping at what your specifically looking for...

This first link, neuro-wiki, defines and looks at what sciences and methods, equipment, etc, is being used today in that field.

http://hmb300neurowiki.intodit.com/page … easurement

http://www.ayurveda-florida.com/Meditat … search.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16602568

http://www.davidleffler.com/quantifying … ohnson.htm

http://www.suite101.com/content/scienti … gy-a260020

http://www.windbridge.org/sofcrp.htm

http://journals.lww.com/co-neurology/Ab … 99785.aspx

Some say that firing neurons are too simple to explain consciousness.wink

1. psycheskinner profile image82
              psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your question is whether consciousness has a quantum signature, not how to "explain" it.

I am still waiting for you to say what you meant by 'quantum signature'. So I can at least give an opinion as to whether I think consciousness has one.

2. qwark profile image59
          qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mentalist:

I haven't been as "aware" as I should have been in the last yr or 2 of current research.

We are sentient animals that respond to 5 senses (6th?).

Many other animals are organisms that respond to senses which have much greater abilities than ours and allows them to experience phenomena we must use technology to understand and respond to.

If there were someway to heighten our 5 senses through the processes of genetic engineering, nano and virtual technology, I'm sure that, if our species survives the next 100 yrs, we will make advances in "consciousness" that we can only dream of at this stage of our evolution

Their isn't the slightest doubt in my mind that there is no limit to "consciousness."

We have the potential to create a new species of man!

WE have the ability to create a human "singularity" that could alter the future of humanity eternally!

I'm sure that somewhere, there are those geniuses who are deeply involved in doing just that!

Qwark

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Quantum signature as defined by Star Trek, or...?

Is there or has there been any research being done to quantify or measure consciousness?

Yes, very extensively both in the disciplines of physics and psychology. The scientific study of consciousness would amount to many hundreds of thousands of experiments just in the last few decades. I personally have been involved in research into the degree to which non-human animals can demonstrate consciousness.

Consciousness is studied at the very basic level (e.g. can you recognize a mirror image is of you) to the very elevated (e.g. can you directly experience another persons consciousness).

Is the experience of consciousness measurable at the quantum level?  Possibly.  What quantum parameters would you posit looking for it in?

Does consciousness have a defined structure...I know no one knows,but is there research being done to see if it's more that synaptic activity?

3. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Some say it resides in the neuro-tubules in the brain and can be measured on the quantum level; The consciousness, spirit, soul, etc..

So I would say yes.

4. psycheskinner profile image82

I don't think a signature at the quantum level world reside in an anatomical structure per se. But a working definition would help here.

1. TMMason profile image61
      TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is sketchy at the moment and I do not think I could find such on the net either.

But I will say this... there are those who claim to have measured the ephemeral effect of human energy located within those neural-tubules leaving the body and trasferring into the eloctro magnetic fields around the deceased individual... from there, who knows?...

But it would seem that we are connected to the universe, God, or however you want to consider it, at the quantum level, and that spirit energy does release into the universe, which we know no informatiion is ever lost in the universe, just stored somewhere... and we know spooky action at a distance shows the unseen connection on the quantum level, or even further below on another level which of yet we do not understand... so?

As I said I don't know... it is not a well understood field of study at present. But mighty interesting in my opinion. I will try to look for some more research on it online and get back to you, Psyche.

I don't know if that helped or not... sorry.

5. psycheskinner profile image82

I am asking for a definition of: quantum signature.

Consciousness has been well defined and extensively studied.  It can be colloquially defined as "knowing that we know, and seeing that we see".  Consciousness is sentience combined with a explicit awareness of self. It can also be called meta-awareness.  This all amounts to the same thing, just expressed differently for different audiences.

So, having done that one for you: what do you mean by quantum signature because I am familiar with that phrase only in science fiction. I know of no current scientific definition of what this is and how exactly it would be measured.

It's conceptual that all things that demonstrate effect can be measured.
      First,does consciousness demonstrate an effect and can it be measured.
      Effect:Firing neurons demonstrate effect.
      What is the cause of this effect...it's said that simply the firing of neurons cannot verify consciousness.
      It's also said that firing neurons are all that is needed for consciousness???

Consciousness is an experience that arises from an appropriate brain in a state of awareness. 

Active neurons are a necessary but not sufficient cause of this experience.

But that is a little beside the point of how consciousness might extend into quantum parameters.

You have a hypothesis perhaps?

1. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, the scientific community has been operating on the hypothesis Julian Jaynes originally wrote about, back in the early 80's. wink

Will look this up...Thanks Casgil.wink

2. Mentalist acer profile image60

Gravity is understood as a fact of existence simply by its effect and it's even accepted that gravity has an atomic particle called a graviton that scientists believe will never be discovered,I was wondering if consciousness could be made up of an atomic particle...

Given that consciousness is seated in the brain it will fundamentally be made up of (but not limited to) atoms and their actions and some corollaries to those actions.

But you seem a little foggy on what a quantum is.  It is the smallest unit involved in a designated interaction. The quantum of consciousness is likely to be significantly smaller than an atom.

Quantum is used informally to refer to really small stuff, specifically subatomic stuff, like photons (the quantum of light) and electrons (the quantum of electricity) and on down from, there.

2. profile image0
            jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"it's even accepted that gravity has an atomic particle called a graviton that scientists believe will never be discovered"

Throwing particles will make anything attract? Try it with your fiance!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)