jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Do Paranormal Phenomena Exist?

1. Obscure_Treasures profile image60
    Obscure_Treasuresposted 5 years ago

Do Paranormal Phenomena Exist or it just assumptions....

1. 0
      zampanoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is somewhat attractive to assume they exist.
      No need choosing to place these "phenomenae" in a mathaphysical field of course.

2. Obscure_Treasures profile image60
      Obscure_Treasuresposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I dont knw exactly bt i really beleive in spirits......

1. 0

Yes, it can bring some spice to an otherwise dull reality.
        I think we all seek for what's beyond our state of "reality". As if we were looking to be freed from a present oppressing condition.
        French call it "fuite en avant" and I'd translate it as "flight ahead".
        Like not wishing to consider what surrounds us, but trying to step to something else. Maybe that's why metaphysics has such universal success...

3. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Absolutely, while at Graceland, I saw the ghost of Michael Jackson whipping Elvis into a frenzy... literally.

2. 0
    Sherlock221bposted 5 years ago

The paranormal is ususally the result of a misunderstanding.  Coincidences happen all of the time, far more than people might expect, but the human mind interprets coincidence as having a meaning.  For instance you may think of someone, and the phone goes, and it is the person you were thinking of.  This has happened to most people.  However, we think of people a lot of the time, and for the most part the phone doesn't ring.  It is only when it does that we remember that we were thinking of them and put the experience down to the paranormal.

Most people know someone, who knows someone who has seen a ghost.  I once was convinced that I had seen a ghost.  The experience was very real.  Yet, having read about hypnopompic experiences, I now realise that this is what I had.  I was actually in that state between sleep and wakefulness and my ghost was only a dream.  Other people who have similar experiences remain convinced that they have seen a ghost.  Having listened to the stories of a few people, who claim to have seen a ghost, the experiences are very similar.  They have all been in bed, and say how they awoke to see a ghost at the bottom of the bed. 

As to psychic phenomena, as claimed by psychics.  I have read books, which teach the practice of "cold reading."  These are used to train mediums in the art of using vague language, which can be interpreted by someone in any way they like.  For instance, 'I have the name John.  Does anyone know a John?'  Now John could be the person sitting in the room, or it could be their husband who is still alive, or it could be someone who has died.  The person then interprets it, and says something like 'Yes John was my husband, who has passed over.'  The medium then says, 'Yes that's right love, he's telling me he was your husband, and he still loves you.'  Having once been a Spiritualist, and having read the books that mediums use to learn such tricks, I now know that there is no such thing as a medium.

All so-called paranormal experiences have a perfectly natural explanation.  Whether it be a misunderstanding, coincidence or the tricks of people claiming to be psychic.  But seeing meaningful patterns in the meaningless and random, seems to be hard-wired into the human mind.  Even out-of-body and near death experiences have been explained and have even been reproduced scientifically, providing evidence of where in the brain such experiences take place.

1. Rock_nj profile image90
      Rock_njposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I believe that Paranormal Phenomena Exist, but that is just my personal opinion from my life experiences.  For example, how could a psychic tell me about a very specific event that occurred over two months of my life 30 years ago?  The detail provided and the fact that she even brought it up, suggested that it was not a wild guess or cold reading. 

I'm not sure how skeptics can be so confident in their opinions?  How do they know that some people are not more sensitive to the world around them than they are and can perceive things that they can't?

3. Bard of Ely profile image86
    Bard of Elyposted 5 years ago

Yes, definitely! Although they are really just things people don't understand!

4. 0
    Deborah Sextonposted 5 years ago

I've experienced the paranormal many times.

1. 0

Hummmm. I love she priests.

5. KristenGrace profile image60
    KristenGraceposted 5 years ago

Absolutely! I'm another believer. Why not.