jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Eggs? Bacon? A bomb?

1. Greek One profile image80
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

A Swedish man arrested on charges of unauthorized possession of nuclear material after trying to split atoms in his kitchen says he was only doing it as a hobby.

The man, Richard Handl, has told the Associated Press that he had the radioactive elements radium, americium and uranium in his apartment in southern Sweden when police showed up.

Handl said Wednesday he has always been interested in physics and chemistry and “just wanted to see if it was possible to split atoms at home.”

The raid took place in late July, but police have refused to comment. If convicted, Handl could face fines or up to two years in prison.

2. CMHypno profile image90
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

Can I have mine scrambled?

3. 0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

Some people so against progress! May be he was on a border of a very important discovery. Make your own energy at your kitchen table, free for all! That police, they just had to show up, meddlers!

4. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

I bet his landlord's pissed.
    The lease distinctly states: no pets, no loud music after 10pm, and no atom splitting!

5. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 5 years ago

And this years Darwin award goes to..........

6. 0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

7. NathanielZhu profile image85
    NathanielZhuposted 5 years ago

This arrest is so stupid. It's founded on a huge assumption. What if he was making nuclear weapons, but from the news report, there doesn't seem to be evidence at all of a weapon but merely a curious man.

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, of course!  Why else split an atom?

Power plants, medical radiation treatments and clocks notwithstanding, the only possible reason to split an atom is to blow someone up.  lol