1. mathsciguy profile image61
    mathsciguyposted 5 years ago

Can somebody please tell me why channels like Discovery and The History Channel are airing so many pseudoscientific garbage shows?  Programming such as the infamous "A Haunting" first came to my attention a few years ago,  and infuriated me back then until I stopped watching the Discovery channels.  But recently, a student of mine mentioned that she had heard on some Discovery channel show or other that humans will be immortal by the year 2035.  And so began another phase of raging at the discovery channel shows.
    Other noteworthy examples include:
    "The Lost Tomb of Jesus"
    "Haunted History"
    "The Holy Grail"
    And many more...

Anybody else feeling me out there?  Remember when those channels actually had content worth watching?  I no longer learn anything from discovery or history channel, I just watch so that I can have fun laughing and criticizing.  Good times.
    There are a few interesting shows, still, just no more really educational ones.

1. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Those are American programming? How many Americans believe the Earth is 6000 years old? How many believe in Genesis? How many believe in gods? How many believe in visiting aliens, bigfoot, astrology, etc. etc. etc.

The list goes on and on. It should be easy to understand why pseudoscience is huge "garbage" for tv.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Ratings. The capitalist media has to sell advertising to stay in business. More people watch
    pseudo-science than not. Probably says something about the capitatlist educational system.