jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Education or Work after the recession aftermath

1. mr-burns profile image60
    mr-burnsposted 5 years ago via iphone

With aftermath of the recession we have seen unemployment rates go up as money tightens. For those leaving education the question of whether to further their education or to go into work may be a strong thought. What is the right answer?

1. jeroenjonkman profile image61
      jeroenjonkmanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There will always be a need to skilled individuals. Education is the way forward even if the economic tide is against us at this point.

If tuition fees are steep you can always try getting a scholarship.
      Try this site..it gives an overview of scholarships and study options.

2. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

I feel a recent graduate should work if possible before incurring any more education debt.
    Work experience,even in another field, provides valuable skills for future work.

1. Seeker7 profile image96
      Seeker7posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with Stacie. Certainly companies are looking for good education in their prospective employees, but if you also have some kind of work experience behind you as well, I think this would improve your chances of working.

3. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

It is better to be in education than unemployed if you can afford it.  A long gap in employment can be hard to overcome.

4. 61
    normanbolposted 5 years ago

If work is not coming your way easily, it may not be a bad idea to continue your education provided you can afford it. True that experience is extremely important, but is it worth slogging in a low-paying, meaningless job just so you could highlight that on your CV? Unless you need the cash, I’d say go for advanced graduate degree programs and ride out the recession. It will be a much more fruitful experience than having a job that’s completely unrelated to your education. By the time you get out of school, the economy would have hopefully recovered and you would have a much stronger CV in your hands.