jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

The British Weather Has Had A Freaky!!

1. Seeker7 profile image94
    Seeker7posted 5 years ago

I've finished reading a great hub by Movie Master who was talking about how her garden flowers that normally bloom in sping and summer are having a second bloom due to the weird weather Britain has had this year.

We had a mini heat wave in spring, a crappy, dull, cold summer - in some places it was the coldest on record for quite a number of years. I would have  mentioned the rain, but that's the norm for Britain anyway! Last week a heatwave struck. Where Movie Master is, it reached about 29.9, I'm on the East coast of Scotland and we had a 22. Now this may not seem like much to people in hot climates, but for the UK this is bizarre!

Has anyone any ideas why the weather and the seasons seem to be upside down in the UK right now? In Scotland at least, we seem to be back to normal - high winds and rain, with snow on the hills forecast for the weekend.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image84
      CASE1WORKERposted 5 years ago in reply to this

They reckon it will all change tomorrow! Snow for the wekend?

Seeker7posted 5 years ago in reply to this

HI,

That's right - well for Scotland at least. Yesterday and today has been windy with rain and quite chilly. But the temps in the North are to drop a bit further for the weekend. There was a long-term forecast that says Britain might even get snow in October!!??

2. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

I do n't know why the weather has been so good but picking strawberries in October is fantastic.

The flowers and the animals seem to be enjoying the burst of summer. It was so weird to see people at the beach in their swimming gear just as October was upon us! LOL!

3. profile image0
    RookerySpoonerposted 5 years ago

There was a report on the local West Midlands news, which showed trees that have both autumnal leaves and spring flowering blossom at the same time.  Summer has arrived within the past week, only for reports of the coming snow in the next week.  It is hardly surprising the trees are confused.

For sure and the poor trees are not the only ones - me to! LOL! But it's interesting you mention about the autumn leaves. Last week when it was really hot, I've never seen anything so odd in my life - beautiful autumn colours and a hot sun - it's all a bit weird. And odd person that I am, I like the seasons to be normal.

4. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

I think it may be my fault roll the summer disappeared when I got the sun parasol out for the garden and the weather improved when I stored it away.

OOPPPSSS!  You do realise that all the sun worshipers will be after your blood! LOL!! lol

5. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago

In the North West today it does feel like a pretty normal day in October, temperature wise that is. It has been really odd though. I've not known what to wear from one day to the next.

I know what you mean and it's so irritating. I've left early in the morning to go to work and it's been fairly chilly so I have the coat on. By the time I've started for home the temperatures have shot up to god knows where! Then of course you get all the weird looks from people because you're carrying a coat on a beautiful sunny day.

working