jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Memory Improvement

1. emrldphx profile image61
    emrldphxposted 5 years ago

I'm curious about peoples' experience with memory improvement techniques and systems.

I started researching ways to improve my memory about 10 years ago. I've tried just about everything:

First-Letter mnemonics: Every Good Boy Does Fine(sheet-music notes)
    Rhyming mnemonics: In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue.
    Peg System: Objects connected to lists. 1 = Gun, 2 = Shoe.
    Journey System: Imagining objects along a visualized journey.
    Dominic System: Encoding numbers into people and action (John Wayne playing piano)
    Major System: Encoding number into phonetics
    GMS: System focusing on mental training

and many, many more which I didn't like or didn't work or I don't even remember.

Personally, I'm very pleased with the possibilities that have opened up to me. I'm still looking for more improvement, but everything about self-improvement just seems so limitless to me.

What about you? Ever looked into improving your memory or actually tried it?

1. dui profile image60
      duiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I never tried any method of memorizing or for memory enhancement. One thing I have learned from a friend of my friend, writing those things that you want to remember will do. So, I tried it and it work. smile for me!

emrldphxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hey, whatever works, works!

2. Hollie Thomas profile image59
      Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have, but interestingly I was identified as dyslexic when I was at university. I didn't have problems with reading or writing. (but there had been other problems at school) Sequential memory was my weakness. I could recount things, but never in the correct sequence, and still can't.

Have you ever tried a visual memorization method? As in, can you move around your house in your mind and move around rooms in a clockwise order?

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

no...haven't tried it...i need some help tho, I think! lol  however, i tend to not remember some of the 'small stuff' - too much info to retain i figure...i think i process it and then somehow decide whether or not to keep it hangin' around - just the small stuff..

I took all these training courses and read all these books before I went into college... I distinctly remember my history class. The professor asked for someone to take notes for students who couldn't make it to class, and I volunteered.

I took my laptop and simply transcribed his lessons. I could get what he said down about 90% verbatim. Trying to keep up while typing, I didn't really have time to think about what he was saying, but I had all this practice thinking visually during the courses I took. Well, I had these images flying through my mind while I was typing the lessons, and didn't really even think about it til after. I decided to test myself, and didn't do any studying for his class. The only reason I didn't study was because he didn't require dates. Names, concepts, locations, but not dates.

The first test came around(he suggested 1.5 hours). I sat down, probably 90 multiple choice questions, 5 short essay, and I turned it in 10 minutes later. Every question, I just remember the images that came into my mind automatically while he was talking. I got one question wrong.

I highly recommend everyone look into it. In my opinion this stuff should be taught in grade school.