jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Merit Pay For Teachers?

1. mom101 profile image60
    mom101posted 4 years ago

I have been reading an older post about merit pay for teachers.

In the post some were giving examples of a classroom filled with smart kids with parents who were actively involved compared to a classroom filled with kids who were absent alot and whose parents didn't spend much time at home teaching.

Folks, this is WHY we send our children to school. Is it not? Or have I missed something?

If a person CHOOSES teaching as their line of work, they should TEACH. Don't send the work home with the student for the parents to teach, most often the parents didn't choose teaching as their profession.

Most families require both parents to work in order to provide for their families. Don't you think that they might actually like time with their kids too. You know, relaxing together.

Do you think it is possible for someone to choose teaching because in the back of their mind it is an easy job? Not much physical work, hours that are just right, long vacations in the summer, lots of paid holidays, don't gotta worry about being sick, or having a toothache.

You might say, but they that chose teaching pay a lot of money to become a teacher. My point is this, THEY CHOSE THEIR FIELD.

It is plain to see the academic shape our schools are in. Somewhere between maybe a high d to failing. This would be on an average of course. There is no way you can tell me it is all the kids fault. Sorry,not buying it.

Something has got to change. More money? Folks, we already tried that, and tried it again. I think it is time for hey, show results, or NEXT. More money is NOT the answer. I mean, look at it this way, take the actual hours that are spent teaching and the amount of wages, benefits, and see what that comes to an hour. Somewhere between 150 to 200 a day. Rough estimate.

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have always been actively involved with my children's education and I think all parents should be.  After all, you are the parent and it's your responsibility to educate your children. If you can't teach them yourself then you should get involved with the schools and teachers to make sure they are doing their job. Both my girls have ADHD and my youngest also has learning disabilities.  The schools like to just tossed them into the same "special" ed classes along with the other "trouble" makers so that an over-stressed teacher can babysit them till the end of the school day, and then pass them along at the end of the year. I feel it's my job as a parent to make sure the teachers are doing their job and actually teaching something and that the kids understand it's their repsonsibility to learn something, not just to sit around and waste everybody's time.  I don't know that merit pay would be fair as far as teaching goes, after all teachers can only teach someone willing to learn and some students are just not willing to join the party, no matter how hard the teacher is working. On the other hand, if a student wants to learn, they will actively pursue learning even from an uninspiring teacher, so how does one measure "merit" for teaching?

mom101posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Disturbia,  I agree with you. One will actively pursue learning.

I don't know it merit pay  was the correct term to use, I just know the system is broken and it needs fixing.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image69
    Ralph Deedsposted 4 years ago

In my opinion, merit pay is over-rated for several reasons:  merit is hard to measure accurately;  merit pay adds administrative costs; merit pay tends to discourage teamwork; merit pay tends to create dissatisfaction on the part of teachers who feel they are rated and compensated unfairly; and the best organizational behavior research indicates that other motivational factors are more effective, such as providing an environment with the classrooms, books, equipment, teaching materials needed by teachers to do an effective job. Here's an article by Alfie Kohn on merit pay:

ralph, I've been at school for the past 12 years the first day of school.

You would not believe how many cases of tissue paper, crayons, paper, printing paper, glue, books, hand cleaner, bathroom cleaner, paper towels line the classrooms as a result of parents being asked to help the school.

Teachers here do not lack teaching tools, they have items that are never even taken out of the boxes.

I pick my son up from school. Have since he started. It amazes me to see several cars on the first day so full of tissue, towels, etc.

The system is broken. How do you suggest to fix it.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Teaching is also the parent's job, they chose it when they had kids.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Very true.

2. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

YES!! Mom, I'm a retired teacher. When I was teaching, I didn't expect the parents to teach my subject to their kids. What I expected was for the parents to get the kids to school on a regular basis, to encourage their kids to be succesful, and to help with discipline problems should the need arise. It also helped a lot if the kids had been taught some personal responsibility and respect for themselves and others. By the time I got them, the students were 17, 18, or 19, so they should have learned by that age the basic concept of responsibility.

And...if you think teaching is an easy job, go sub for a day or two.

habee, our county needs teachers like you.

It may appear I come across as not respecting/liking teachers. That is not the case. I am a person who loves learning and PRAY that every second of every day is a learning experience of some kind.

I am just so very disturbed by this county's school system. My son, now a senior, THANK GOD, has gone pure hell in the past 12 years.  He is overweight, soft hearted, well behaved, smart, well mannered (most of the time).

His kindergarten year, I TRIED become involved with his school. But when he asked me not to come and volunteer I asked him why. He said cause it makes the teacher fuss at me when you leave.....When he started kindergarten, he knew most of what was to be learned for most kids during kindergarten. What I failed to teach him was to jump a rope and to skip. His teacher herself told me he would have a hard time learning to read because of his inability to skip. BULLSKIP. ...Kindergarten children are tested when they start school to see where they are academically. He scored 2nd year 9th month.  The school had an honors program that he was invited to join. Tickled him pink. They met once a week for special whatevers. Ok. During class, his homeroom teacher would hand him his lesson, he would do it, correctly, ok, she would then hand him coloring pages to keep him occupied, he hated coloring, but he marked a few lines, and held his head down, wasn't disruptive, was quiet, but she refused to let him go to his honors class, every week, except when either my mother or myself would "show up".

This same teacher, I saw with my own eyes, take a little girl by the shoulder, shove her up against a wooden cubby stand, and when the little girl cried because her elbow was cracked, she was scolded for crying. Yes, I told the parents of the child.

I went once a week to eat lunch with my son during his 1st grade years,during one visit I watched this little boy who had just learned to tie his own shoe sit quietly tie and untie his shoe while he waited for time to go back to class. He was sitting where two tables joined and had tied his shoestring around the legs of the table. He didn't do it on purpose. The lunchroom monitor called time for his table to go back to class. He couldnt because he was trying to get his shoelace out of a knot. I went over and started to help and the PRINCIPAL  told me the kid needed to learn for himself and asked me not to help. Ok, I watched as this baby became scared he was getting left behind and fussed at by the principal, until he started crying and while trying to wipe the tears out of his eyes he knocks his glasses off. I went over picked up the boys glasses started to hand them to him and was told to lay them back down. I did not. I gave the boy his glasses, untied his shoestring and told him not to worry. Thank GOD for the what ifs that did not happen. A fire, a whatever. I didn't cause a scene. I went on about visiting with my son. When we got back to his class the principal called me aside and told me that I was no longer allowed to come and eat once a week with my son.

I was told by my sons 5th grade teacher he had a learning disability. I was scared to death. If one of his teachers knew how much that boy enjoyed learning new things they would have fallen over with a heart attack.  She insisted to have him tested. I agreed. I also, asked was he paying attention, was he disruptive, was he doing his work, her answer, he is one of the best behaved kids in this school, he does his work, or tries to....the day of the test, I didn't even tell him about it, he was tested, about a week later she calls to tell me the results are in. I had asked her if it would be possible to view the results together. So, I went in, she was pleasant,  half dressed, but pleasant, and she opened the test. Her chin flew to the floor. What is this? It can't be. He only scored 98 percent on the test. She explained, she had asked for him to be given the harder test and he aced it. The problem was, he wouldn't work out problems, just look at it and write the answer. He solved it in his head. But his work was counted wrong. He has never been a time waster. Get things over and done with. Done right or don't do them.

I could go on for each year that boy has been in school and give you an account of at least 500 instances that have happened. Mentally and physically.

As a teacher Habee, you are aware that what a child learns in his/her first 2 or 3 years of school will go with them a lifetime.

I loved school, begged them to fail me so I wouldn't have to graduate. I loved it. Teachers, kids, learning the whole thing. Dang, I wasn't as mildly behaved as my son, my teachers just shook their heads at me. One of my teachers also taught my son and he asked me, are you sure he is yours? he is so much quieter than you. bashful almost. Hey, I was bashful too.

Kids, can be cruel. This I admit. Teachers can be too.

I am NOT down on the teachers that acturally take pride in teaching.  Teachers that care. One of his teachers told him it wasn't her job for him to learn.

Yes, yes, yes, I  agree completely parents should be involved with their childrens education. But, the truth of the matter is, at least in this county, only certain parents are encouraged to help at school. Seems to be the ones with money. Truth is, and I was told this by his kindergarten teacher, mom, you need to back away and let us teach him. You have done a great job but he is way ahead and you need to slow down.  i got what I call my DA degree then, cause you know, I listened. What I should have done was insist that she push his mind beyond where he was then.

What's up with a teacher who divides the class in groups, and tells them, any questions, just raise your hand. Ok. one group raises their hand, they get maybe 2 minutes with the teacher, and another group raises their hand and gets 15 minutes with the teacher. Let me describe the group. Group A. 10 kids,  apparently lower incomed kids,  Group B  6 kids higher income kids cheerleaders and football players..  Who got the 15 minutes? Yep.

At this high school, seniors get to help in the office after lunch. I have noticed on every time I have been at that school, the upper income kids at the reception desk while the lower income kids were mopping and taking garbage out.

The system needs much improvement to say the least.  More money is not going to fix that. 

And, if anyone is thinking   Oh they must be low income. WRONG. Not millionaires.  Just not a socialite group of folk.

Habee, we need more teachers like you who actually care.

4. Charles James profile image85
    Charles Jamesposted 4 years ago

Habee is absolutely right.

As a parent it is frustrating when your child's school is incompetent. You will not improve the school by complaining so get your kid into a better school. I did and I am pleased with the results.

Wont improve the school by complaining.

True. Sad but true.

What is it going to take to fix it?