jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)

Does consciousness have an 'Ultimate Unit' like matter and energy do?

1. LewSethics profile image60
    LewSethicsposted 5 years ago

We have your 'Quanta' of energy and your 'Quarks' of matter, is there a 'Q' word for the ultimate unit of consciousness?  Does it permeate the Universe, or is it confined to 'complex' living things?  Or do only 'people' have 'consciousness'?

1. couturepopcafe profile image62
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes.  The word is Quietude.  In ultimate consciousness, the theory is that there is nothingness; awareness resolves into dormancy and pure consciousness is.

1. LewSethics profile image60
        LewSethicsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

nice

2. kess profile image62
      kessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Conciousness is of such that it must posess full understanding of itself...thus it is I.

Conciousness is of such that it must understand fully that it is or exist...thus it is Am.

Conciousness is again must fully understand that it can only be one, and to not be one means it doesnot exist neither knows exactly who or what it is.

So 'I Am' is  the single and only unit of conciousness and it embodies everything that pertains to itself.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

I call it essentia, interdimensional to all things.

3. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

We have units of measurement for stuff (matter) and action (energy) about which there can be objective agreement of observers.

Consciousness is the experience of being awake.  It does not have a unit of objective measurement anymore than happiness or itchiness. Also it is subjective and can only be observed by the being experiencing.

So... no.

Excellent clinical definition of consciousness with regard to the attributes of thought and cognition.  I disagree with it as applied to consciousness with regard to the substratum of nothingness.  This is akin to deep sleep where we are not aware of forms of cognition but instead reach a point of alert mental suspension where only subtle impressions remain.

4. knolyourself profile image60

Possibly units of knowledge.

5. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

To have a unit of measurement something does need to be clinically defined.  And I used the medical definition as the most widely agreed one.  In more detail it requires a sentient subject able to integrate experience at the level of the cortex (or equivalent structure for other species)--that is at the level of conscious/not conscious.

I didn't really follow what else you were trying to say.  I am sure consciousness has many degrees and types of state.  We are conscious more or less or many different domains of experience.  But what is does not have is a unit of measurement that is objective such as the units we use for force and spatial dimension.

Yes.

6. knolyourself profile image60

What you think is of consequence determines how aware you are. You don't notice what is not of consequence.

7. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

I put the odds at 50:50 that we are an electrical feedback loop affected by chemicals.

8. paradigmsearch profile image86

And just like with a burning candle, no oxygen means cessation of existence.

9. paradigmsearch profile image86

Could consciousness be a form of combustion?

1. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Only if you are talking about something other than what most people are when using the word consciousness, or you mean metaphorically.

1. paradigmsearch profile image86
        paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Actually, I mean it literally. As in odds are 50:50 we cease to exist upon death.

If you mean it literally, then not combustion.  Combustion is a fuel and an oxidant creating heat.

The odds that we exist after death are not calculable.

1. paradigmsearch profile image86
            paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oxygen is the oxidant. Oxygen goes in; carbon dioxide comes out. That is combustion. All we have to do is figure out what the fuel is.

Um, no.  We know exactly what life processes in our bodies use oxygen, and combustion is not one of them.

2. Eranofu profile image74
          Eranofuposted 5 years ago in reply to this

We still exist after death. Though not as humans, of course. The matter changes its form.

So, who exactly came back from the dead to let you know about this first hand?

working