jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

A Free For All Discussion

1. gmwilliams profile image82
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

Merry Christmas, everyone.   I am inviting everyone over to my spacious abode.   I am preparing dinner as I speak.   Christmas dinner includes four capons with oyster and cornbread stuffing; potato salad with pickles and apples; green peas; wild rice; and potatoes au gratinee.   For dessert, we shall have pumpkin and potato pies to be washed down with a choice of eggnog or apple cider.    Any subject in the world can be discussed.   Now, what shall be the favorite subject for discussion.  Remember, it can be varied subjects for discussion!  Do not be shy at all, we are among friends!

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Your table sounds like a welcoming and delicious day.  A Happy Holiday to you and yours!  Are you in the U.S.A.?  Let's discuss something all writers may take interest in.  E-publishing.  Amazon is now selecting a few titles to publish on their own.  They are now in the business of publishing.  How do you think this will effect traditional publishers?  Will they become the WalMart of the publishing world?

gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Amazon is a very large company.   They will probably take over E-publishing arena.   No one can beat this company in that regard.

2. cherylone profile image93
    cheryloneposted 5 years ago

What a nice spread of food you have.  And the furnishings are perfect!  Now the discussion-e-publishing may be the wave of the future and Amazon is probably going to try to corner the market.  But I think others will give them a run for their money.  Can you pass the pumpkin pie?  smile  Happy Holidays!

Certainly!  Excuse me while I greet more guests.  E-publishing!  How interesting!   I do believe that Amazon will indeed corner that market.

3. Healthy Pursuits profile image87
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 5 years ago

Merry Christmas, everyone! How do you like my Waldorf salad?smile

Amazon has a huge head start on everyone else. And when a company of that size gets a head start, they'll probably keep it, unless someone else comes up with something over-the-top innovative, or the Amazon top brass lose their edge. 

I self-published two e-books on Amazon. They're really two short stories, but I published them that way in hopes of having them accepted as Amazon Singles. If that had happened, Amazon would have done the publicity for the stories. They didn't accept either story, but they're still published and being sold without me having to deal with years of rejections, the way authors do with paper manuscripts. I've gotten two teeny weeny payments for them.

Amazon has also started Amazon Prime (or is it Kindle Prime?), which is a subscription for Kindle users. Anyone who is a subscriber can read any e-book that's free or that has been enrolled in Prime. Then the authors who enrolled their books will split the several thousand dollar amount that was assigned to that quarter, based on how many times their books were read. I was glad to see that, because I knew that my stories were being lost in the masses of e-books. Not that they won't be lost in the masses of e-books enrolled in Prime...

I think that Amazon has been pretty innovative so far, by allowing authors to publish as no cost, unless they want to pay someone to make the cover art for their books. That's a big step up for most authors, and I'm sure will make a name for the best.

I hope the field widens more, but I don't think it will for a while.

This is so true.  Amazon is quite creative and innovative in that way.  By the way, the Waldorf salad was fantastic!

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So Amazon's Kindle Prime gives all subscribers all ebooks listed with a price of free then the authors split Amazon's budgetary allotment for this project for that quarter?  Hmmm.  Interesting.  Please keep us posted on this if you can.

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image87
        Healthy Pursuitsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'll do that. However, if I have no action in the quarterly viewing program I might forget. I've considered removing my stories from Amazon and putting them here, but I also know my cover art is, well, atrocious.

working