jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)

how have you been helped by positive quote?

1. profile image0
    ramboruizposted 5 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5939510_f248.jpg
    So you have a Favorite quote, what is it and how has it helped you?

1. lukejamesmiller profile image74
      lukejamesmillerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This too shall pass.

Rather cliche, I know, but it has helped me keep things in perspective when I've faced difficulties.

Take care,

Luke Miller

2. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 5 years ago

"No matter how bad life may seem, there is always death to look forward to."

3. barranca profile image72
    barrancaposted 5 years ago

Nietzsche:  Beware of gazing too long into the abyss because, as you do, it also gazes into you.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image83
      AshtonFireflyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I like that one.

4. AshtonFirefly profile image83
    AshtonFireflyposted 5 years ago

"We are what we think, having become what we thought"

1. barranca profile image72
      barrancaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I like yours.  Who is it attributed to?

Another:  Kurt Baier  "Socrates said that the unexamined life is not worth living, but the over-examined life is nothing to write home about either."

It's attributed to the Dhammapida.

nice. I like that one too smile very true.

"Life is a comedy to those who think, a tragedy to those who feel" -Horace Walpole. My other favorite, besides any quotes of Descartes (my personal hero)

5. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

This one is on my wall. And I think I need to study it more. big_smile

Go placidly amidst the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

1. barranca profile image72
      barrancaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good Advice.  I think we could all study that one to our profit.  Another one:  "The pumps don't work 'cause the vandals took the handles"   b. dylan

2. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Is that Desiderata?

6. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 5 years ago

you are
    what you do
    when it counts

7. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

There are many versions of this but it comes from Aesop's fable of the tree and the reed -

"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over."   

It tells of how the reeds survive a storm.

8. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 5 years ago

"Before we criticise anyone, we must walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, we will be a mile away when we criticise them and we will have their shoes."

lol love it smile

9. thoughthole profile image95
    thoughtholeposted 5 years ago

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I have ended up where I need to be." Douglas Adams
    I love this quote it is comforting to me. It reinforces that on our journey we are always where we need to be no matter what the circumstance, we are are work in progress each step leading to the next. For many of us we may have expected some other outcome for ourselves but here we are, and that is no less significant than whatever our expectation was.

10. couturepopcafe profile image61
    couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago

Luke Skywalker:  "I don't believe it."
    Yoda: "That is why you will fail."

11. profile image0
    ramboruizposted 5 years ago

Thank you guys for making this topic awesome. Many of what you shared here are new to me and I think they are beautiful smile

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thomas Edison, when asked by an apprentice how he could continue his experiments after almost 200 failures, replied:

"Why, man, I haven't failed.  I just know 200 things that don't work!"
      (That always keeps me going)

12. LoriSoard profile image79
    LoriSoardposted 5 years ago

To know even one life breathed easier because you lived, this is to have succeeded.

The quote is from a poem that is usually attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson, although there is some controversy over that. It is actually a lot longer, but those words sort of sum it all up for me.

working