Poor Children Don't Have A Work Ethic And Are Lazy-C'mon Now!

1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Everyone has heard Newt Gingrich's preposterous and ludicrous statement that poor children do not have any work ethic.   Mr. Gingrich also uttered that the only thing poor children know how to do is something illegal.  Of course, this idea is totally absurd bordering on the illogical. 

While it is true that SOME poor children indulge in illegal activities, it is not true of the majority of poor children.   Many poor children, especially those who yearn for a better life, have afterschool jobs beginning for some in junior high school.   Many of these children have a prodigious work ethic that their more affluent counterparts do not have.   There are a lot of poor children who view the dismal impoverishment around them and vow that they want a better life for themselves. 

Many of these children work afterschool jobs to help themselves and to bring extra income to their families.   They also take education seriously, knowing that the only way to affluence is through studious appication.   Many poor children win scholarships to colleges and beyond.    What Mr. Gingrich fail to realize that many successful people came and still come from lower socioeconomic backgrounds e.g. Oprah Winfrey, media mogul;  Mark Wahlberg, actor/producer/ businessman, and Dr. Wayne W. Dyer, motivational speaker.    Mr. Gingrich needs to wake up to the real world so to speak.    What is your take on Mr. Gingrich's premise regarding the so-called lackadaisical work ethic of the lower socioeconomic classes!

1. Alecia Murphy profile image90
      Alecia Murphyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't think there's been a time more than now when Newt Gingrich needs to consider getting a 3rd divorce. Not from his wife but his foot from his mouth. I mean gee whiz. Of course there are people in lower socioeconomic statuses trying to get by, but you can't classify or condemn their situation without getting to know it. And that's all he's doing. I think if he wanted to help he would announce an initiative to help these kids get out of their current situation and actually have a better life for themselves.