jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Is commom sense or intelligence better?

1. Leaderofmany profile image61
    Leaderofmanyposted 4 years ago

Which one is going to get one through life better and faster or is it the combination of the two?

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

Common sense would be body oriented. Intelligence would be more mind oriented. Common sense without intelligence is commonplace to the doers.
    Intelligence without common sense could be called Idiot Savant.

3. AshtonFirefly profile image83
    AshtonFireflyposted 4 years ago

Leaderofmany, how would you define both?

1. Leaderofmany profile image61
      Leaderofmanyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

How do you solve the problem, do you open a book and solve it or do you solve it the way you know how, or both? Or do you know to open the book to solve the problem?

1. AshtonFirefly profile image83
        AshtonFireflyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think that depends on the problem.

2. AshtonFirefly profile image83
        AshtonFireflyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

By your answer, I'm guessing you define intelligence as book knoweldge, or perhaps more accurately, knoweldge of many facts and ideas. Reason, logic, etc., and that sort of thing; and that you define common sense as more of an inner "knowing" or perhaps "gut feeling." Intelligence therefore being those things which we learn or "know" by study and common sense those things which we "know" by instinct or intuition?
        Is that an accurate description of the way you would define them...or am I way off? lol

4. 0
    Muldaniaposted 4 years ago

Common sense allows us to function in our day-to-day lives, which is far more important than academic intelligence.  When it comes to survival at its basest level, common sense could mean the difference between life and death.

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 4 years ago in reply to this

5. Alecia Murphy profile image89
    Alecia Murphyposted 4 years ago

I would say a combination. While common sense gets you further in doing the right thing, you have to possess enough intelligence to get where you want to get. Common sense doesn't necessarily get you a job, intelligence does but common sense helps you keep a job.

6. kess profile image60
    kessposted 4 years ago

Both are actually the same thing...the ability to make decision based on choices presented..

Intelligence is used primarily to classify and differentiate so as to   create and maintain hierarchy as present in this world.

So it is used  in terms of more or less according to each individual , when it is not so...
    ...thus the illusion of differences is created..

For each chooses according to his set destiny of which no one can see beyond its ultimate fulfilment.

7. MickeySr profile image88
    MickeySrposted 4 years ago

I think what we call 'common sense' is one kind of intelligence . . . some people tend to be more analytical, some more intuitive, some more creative, some more logical, etc, etc - I think because in our modern world that certain more logical type of intelligence might function in our commercial system more successfully than other forms of intellect (say, creative or intuitive, etc) and so we are inclined to count that (logical) kind of smart as simply what smart is . . . like, if you're logical then you're smart but being creative or intuitive, etc, is something else. I don't think the brain surgeon who is analytical or the captain of industry who is logical is any smarter than the nurse who is intuitive or the guitar player who is creative - they are all different kinds of 'smart'.

Now, it may be that I think this way because I'm a high school dropout who (financially) hasn't amounted to much in life, but I don't think so. I think how we view intelligence might be the last bigotry we'll have to overcome - we have to come to recognize that there is a certain kind of genius to build and administrate and major corporation and a certain kind of genius to do the daily work necessary to keep a small family farm going, a certain kind of genius to write the great American novel and a certain kind of genius to throw a touchdown pass as a half a dozen giant men are racing to knock you on your ass.

Certainly some minds function better than other minds (just as some legs run faster than others and some eyes see more accurately than others, etc), but I think we make a big mistake when we assume one manner of intellect is what 'smart' really is while another manner of intellect is less smart. And, I think what we really need to come to a genuine understanding of is that kindness beats smart every time.

8. A Troubled Man profile image59
    A Troubled Manposted 4 years ago

LOL! It's funny to watch believers trying to understand either concept. lol