jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Quadrantid Meteor Shower, First of 2012, May Dazzle Early Wednesday

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

"The first meteor shower of 2012 — the lesser known Quadrantid meteor shower — will kick off a new year of skywatching when it peaks on Wednesday (Jan. 4).

While many meteor displays in 2011 were washed out by a bright moon, the Quadrantid meteor shower is expected to put on a spectacular light show, with no pesky moonlight to interfere. The peak of the Quadrantids will occur at around 2 a.m. EST (0700 GMT) on Jan. 4."

http://news.yahoo.com/quadrantid-meteor … 03094.html

1. Don Fairchild profile image83
      Don Fairchildposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I will try to stay up to see this event.  Always fun to watch...
      On a side lobe of interest -- did you know that amateur radio operators look for meteor showers so they can bounce VHF and UHF signals off of the radio reflective trail of the meteor.   The reflections will last for many minutes and allows communication over a much longer range than normal for this frequency range.

Enjoy...

2. paradigmsearch profile image89

Update http://news.yahoo.com/strong-quadrantid … 02516.html

I'm generally up before daylight, so I might actually get to see this one.

1. profile image69
      logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you are up for more that 4 hours, you're supposed to see a doctor. smile

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Lololo!

2. paradigmsearch profile image89
        paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My neighbor is a much better solution.

3. dipless profile image86
    diplessposted 5 years ago

Think i'll definitely try and stay up for this big_smile

4. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 5 years ago

Thanks Paradigm smile I've got my sons loving to catch a meteor shower these last few yrs big_smile we missed out on the last shower with cloud cover being in the way sad hopefully we get to see this one smile hope you had a great New Year bash big_smile

5. Randy Godwin profile image92
    Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago

I try to catch the showers when the moon is not interfering with the show.  You never know when a fireball will make an appearance.  Something to see! smile

6. paradigmsearch profile image89

Alas, not seeing anything yet. But I'll keep checking. I'm not seeing too many stars either; so apparently there are some very light cloud cover issues. Wednesday, Jan 4, 3:50 AM.

working