jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)

Are there too many Asian Americans at Top Colleges and Universities?

1. Cassie Smith profile image75
    Cassie Smithposted 4 years ago

I saw several news items last week saying that Asian-Americans were trying to hide their ethnicity on the school applications because too many of them were getting rejected even though their SAT and GPA scores were high enough or better.  Should we just accept students if they meet the criteria or should we set aside a certain percentage for whites, native americans, blacks, and hispanics, etc.

1. 60
      Jesus was a hippoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I dont think nationality or race should even have to be disclosed. It's just racist. Being bought up a pianist and constantly losing competitions to asian kids was annoying though......

1. Cassie Smith profile image75
        Cassie Smithposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The admission criteria if it was race blind would mean that the student body wouldn't be diverse enough because there would be too many Asian Americans, according to the news reports.  What they're really saying is that there won't be enough blacks and hispanics being admitted.

1. 60
          Jesus was a hippoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Personally I couldnt give a crap. Give the places to the most intelligent or most deserving.

Race is irrelevant.

2. AshtonFirefly profile image81
          AshtonFireflyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

What would that matter?If these people whom we label as "blacks" or "hispanics" wanted to get into that particular college, then they would. And they are perfectly capable of doing so.
          I don't understand why people think it's necessary to have such and such a percentage be of such and such a race. That only ADDS to the racial distinction. And that leaves the question open of "how much percentage of each race should there be, etc. etc."j

1. EmpressFelicity profile image84
            EmpressFelicityposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Careful now, you're using common sense which could get you in trouble with the PC brigade lol

1. lobobrandon profile image82
              lobobrandonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No matter what the race or country or religion all should be treated equally. What if an Einstein is dropped out? The whole world would benefit if that person got a good education wouldn't it??

1. EmpressFelicity profile image84
                EmpressFelicityposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Absolutely - no argument from me there. I was using irony, which doesn't always translate well on an Internet forum.

2. Pearldiver profile image87
      Pearldiverposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wow... Now I understand why this style of attitude gives the US bad press overseas and why people like me don't follow people like you! sad

I guess what sets ordinary people apart from bigots with 'BS trailer trash' attitudes, is that all ordinary people irrespective of color are all a healthy shade of Pink on the inside! sad

1. Tiger Mom profile image60
        Tiger Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Anybody read my answer for this question?  Higher education is a business that sells status, as in high end auto dealerships, hotels, and jewelry stores.  With only eight colleges that are considered ivy league, there are only a limited number of seats that can be occupied in these eight college.  In this case, customers should take their business else where.  The other 3,000 U.S. universities should do a better job in establishing their reputation as an equally exclusive 'ivy' and attract just as many applicants as the ivys.

3. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

That question could illicit some very strong opinions... Or not. But be prepared to duck.

4. AshtonFirefly profile image81
      AshtonFireflyposted 4 years ago

We should accept students if they meet the criteria.

That's what any educational institution should be about.

If it so happens that one race ends up having predominantly higher scores, than so be it.

5. phillippeengel profile image73
      phillippeengelposted 4 years ago

Well, what can the people do about this? There are indeed many immigrants in America and they are competing against Americans. Nonetheless, the meritocratic system is the bedrock of every university's selection process. I think that whether Asians or any other race makes up the majority in top colleges and universities, the most important thing is that you work hard and don't give up on challenges. Life still has to go on.

1. WriteAngled profile image91
        WriteAngledposted 4 years ago in reply to this

As far I understand, everyone living in the United States is an immigrant apart from the Native American Indians...

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The Indians also immigrated from Asia....

2. Flightkeeper profile image79
        Flightkeeperposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately in the US it's not a meritocratic system.  The liberals have gotten hold of the top universities and insist that there be a percentage of blacks and hispanics be accepted in schools for the sake of diversity.  Often the SAT and GPA scores of these minority students that are accepted are much lower to fulfill that percentage while those with higher scores and usually Asian Americans, are not accepted.  That's just a little of what's happening here.

6. Alastar Packer profile image84
      Alastar Packerposted 4 years ago

Are you familiar with the Caucasoid Kennewick Skull Write Angled? If not its very interesting.

7. Greek One profile image80
      Greek Oneposted 4 years ago

Higher education should be reserved for Greeks and males... like back in the old days...

Classes should also be taught in the nude, like back in the day... not for any sexual purposes, but to allow the information being taught to enter the student's body without barrier.

1. Doc Snow profile image97
        Doc Snowposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Most frat brothers would agree with all of the above. . . no, forget I said that, definitely not the 'reserved for males' bit, not unless lots of 'townie' girls were constantly hanging out on campus.  And I doubt the 'classes in the nude' part would encourage *that* outcome!

8. Doc Snow profile image97
      Doc Snowposted 4 years ago

What, do you think there should be some sort of quota?

9. keithlipke profile image60
      keithlipkeposted 4 years ago

The more colleges and universities do this, the more they will get in trouble when they get caught. smile Every student deserves a college education.

10. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

is this for real???

11. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago

Reverse prejudice is a strictly American privelege.

12. tosocialsuccess profile image60
      tosocialsuccessposted 4 years ago

On standardized tests, they ask which race you're because then if a major percentage of blacks, for example, gets a question wrong then you can pretty much assume the test question was racist and shouldn't be counted towards the final score!