jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

What is the best way to negotiate a price on something?

1. rlaha profile image77
    rlahaposted 4 years ago

I am tutoring this 8th grader.  I am charging $20/hr for my services and because I have to drive 25 miles out of my way to this person's house (gas is not cheap these days).  The child has 2 other siblings and his mom wants me to tutor them as well.  I am tutoring this child for 1 hour, 2 days a week.  She wants me to tutor those girls as well but she doesn't want to pay more than $100.  I can understand that she doesn't want to pay but I have bills to pay and a gas tank to fill every week going and coming from there.  How do I negotiate politely that I cannot take anything less than $150 a week for all three kids (4 days a week, 1 hour for each child)?

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image87
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You might point out that she's asking you to charge, what, about half of your normal rate? If you're tutoring 3 children 4 times per week for $100 a week, she's demanding that you work for $12.50 per hour. And that's if you charge nothing for gas or your travel time. If you take an hour off for each two-way trip four days a week, that means you're taking 16 hours out of your schedule, and getting paid less than $10 an hour. Not acceptable.
      What do you normally charge for your services? Is it $20 an hour?

1. rlaha profile image77
        rlahaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I actually charge $10 if I have to drive up to 20 miles.  After that it is $15-20 up to 40 miles of me driving to that person's house.  Since they live 25 miles away and it takes me about 30 minutes each way, I charge them $20/hour for tutoring the 8th grader.  She wants me to drive to their house on the weekend when she knows I cannot go then. I also have a life with my husband and I am in the process of studying for an exam too.  So I cannot just waste my time and go there.

2. wilderness profile image97
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

As usual in these things, it sounds like both of you have good reasons for the price.

You will be tutoring 12 hours, plus 4 hours travel time.  Normally that would be $120 for 12 hours plus perhaps 8 hours travel, or about $6 per hour for your time (inclusive of travel).  That's $96 for these three kids, so $100 isn't far out of line.

At the same time, $6 per hour for tutoring is ridiculous, and I don't see that the $150 you want is out of line at all for 12 hours.  You DO get a benefit in that you can tutor for 3 hours for only one trip, though.  Is compromise possible?  $130?  (Wouldn't blame you for saying no - tutors around here get $10/hour at the tutors location)

If you can't compromise, all I can say is be prepared to say no and walk away.  If you can't do that you will always lose a negotiation.

1. rlaha profile image77
      rlahaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi wilderness.  Thanks for your response.  Well, because of the gas issue I was going to charge that much.  The only issue is that she wants me to tutor the girls at a half hour each so that she can save money.  Honestly, a half hour is not enough time to cover more than 1 or 2 subjects.  I am worried that they won't be getting the same amount of time required to help them as their brother is getting right now.  As I cannot go there on the weekends, the only day I can give time to the girls is on Thursday evening.  However, they have other obligations on that day so I haven't had a chance to tutor them as yet. I am tutoring the one 8th grader though (3 days a week at $20/hr).