jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

Is it Ever Acceptable to Swear, and Do People Over-React to it?

1. VendettaVixen profile image89
    VendettaVixenposted 4 years ago

Personally, I think it's alright every now and then.
    *Woman catches her fingers in the car door*
    "Oh, *@#%!" This is acceptable to me. In fact, I'd find anything else odd.

*Woman is talking on the phone in a busy shopping centre*
    "So, he said 'No, *@#% you, %*#@!' and I was like, 'Oh, you #%@*ing #*%@!'." This makes a person sound as if they have an IQ of 0.5.

1. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

A recent medical study said that swearing can reduce the ammount of pain one has when injured.

1. VendettaVixen profile image89
        VendettaVixenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'd easily believe it. There are advantages to a good swear every once in a while.

1. Disturbia profile image60
          Disturbiaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm with you all the way.  I agree it's OK to swear when something really bad happens or when someone is very upset or frustrated, but to drop f-bombs every other word is just offensive, rude, and vulgar.  Also, having my own business I often deal with clients who think the use of profanity will help them make their point.  Unfortunately for them, it has just the opposite effect on me, and I refuse to listen to anyone who can't make a valid argument without cussing a blue streak.

1. annart profile image87
            annartposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I generally agree with everyone above.  When I was a teacher I always told my pupils there were two things I did not tolerate  - being unkind and swearing.  Unless in reaction to some awful unexpected incident or injury, in my opinion swearing is an indication that the person can't think of any good vocabulary to cover the situation. It's an easy, and offensive, way of having a lazy conversation; trouble is, the swearer's viewpoint or subject of conversation is often lost as all you hear is the profanity!  I'm no prude and I can swear when the situation demands or causes it, but my friends will tell you that it must be really serious for me to utter a naughty word!  Sometimes I cheat and use a French one - it makes me feel better and not so many people will know what it means!

1. annart profile image87
              annartposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I also don't like it when comedians use it for almost every other word.  I don't find it funny.  Its general use seems to indicate, also, that many people these days might not even be aware what each swear word means.  They are used merely as an interjection.  I know it was ages until I found out where the word 'bloody' came from (by our lady).  That's mild these days so maybe as time goes by the worst ones become the mild ones and others take over as being bad.  Either way, we should at least be aware of what we're saying.

2. lizzieBoo profile image79
      lizzieBooposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I might occasionally say poppycock! or fiddlesticks! I once taught my 2 year old to say Bugger off! to salesmen on the phone. Might have been effective had she not pronounced it "Buggy off!"
      Still, there's always "sugar!" and "dash it all!" for when a situation really won't do. A scoundrel may be called a "dastardly fellow!" or even a "chump" but never a "bar steward" for that would not become a lady.

2. 72
    SanXuaryposted 4 years ago

Swearing is actually making a promise to do something. In most cases we are only being a liar and that is a good thing. Some how we managed to declare adjectives or things we do not discuss into the same category. We go so far that proper words are OK but others for the same thing are bad. In most cases its good taste verses bad taste and improper context to begin with. Yes someone can curse or swear if they choose the proper audience and vocabulary to get their point across.

3. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

There are times when the only appropriate word is a four letter @#%!

But I'm sure most of us don't want to hear your every other word rant walking through the grocery store.

4. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 4 years ago

Hell no!

1. Greek One profile image79
      Greek Oneposted 4 years ago in reply to this

f!@%!@% right!

1. mischeviousme profile image60
        mischeviousmeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

#@%!@#$ *&%$#@ &^%$#%@ yeah that's offensive!

5. Insane Mundane profile image77
    Insane Mundaneposted 4 years ago

Expletives, profanity, whatever, is generally overrated. It is all about the intentions of the verbiage, when it comes to this politically correct subject.  Saying "gosh darn" means the same as saying God Da*n and "oh fudge" as "oh fu*k," and so on.  I suppose it is improper to go around using profanity and slang at a ratio of 1:3 accepted dictionary words, but still...  You question "Is it ever acceptable to swear, and do people overly react to it?  Yes, and sometimes...  Hmm, why do I have this strange feeling I should use excessive profanity on this post and get banned, yet again?  Ha-ha!
    Anyway, holy sh*t!  Greek One still dwells in the forums...  Lookout folks, that Greek One guy has a weird fetish for Eskimo pie, from what I can remember of him...  Funny guy, though; lol!