jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

The Shocking Deadly Tropical Storm Sendong

1. Jynzly profile image70
    Jynzlyposted 4 years ago

The tropical storm Sendong hit the Cities of Iligan City and Cagayan de Oro City and the neighboring towns on December 19, 2011. These two cities are in Southern Philippines. Cagayan de Oro City is my hometown but my family left the place when I was 15 years old, 42 years ago. Iligan City is where MSU-IIT is located and that is my alma mater, I graduated my degree BSBA-Ecnomics there. My family left Iligan City in 1993, 18 years ago. I had lived in Iligan City for 13 years but there was no typhoon that ever visited the place in those times. Iligan residents, especially those who had never gone out from the place were ignorant of typhoons; they brag of their place as being hidden by mountain crest from the wind that carry the storm.
    The recent Storm Sendong had killed thousands and more missing from Cagayan de Oro City through the towns of El Salvador and other neighboring towns.
    I would be shocked if I was there; I can empathize on the trauma that the residents go through upon experiencing such disaster for the first time.
    What could have caused the change of the weather pattern?

<TOS violating image snipped>

2. Alma Cabase profile image85
    Alma Cabaseposted 4 years ago

This is a very saddening scene. However, there is no one to blame for this other than ourselves as we continue to abuse nature. I hope all of the victims are in the hands of God new.

Jynzlyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the comment Alma. Yes, it's very sad; and look at the children, they die too early and losing the opportunity to enjoy an adult life.

2. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It definitely is a tragdy. I feel a great loss and I hope these people can find a peace within their hearts.

Thanks for the comment mischeviusme,
        So do I, such loss of life and nature as a whole. Mother Nature is really getting more and more unpredictable. Is it because more and more people in the world are ignoring its natural laws? if this is the case then, the innocents suffer because of the disbelief of others. We are all one in this universe and this is very difficult to non-believers to see.

3. sunasia22 profile image76
    sunasia22posted 4 years ago

This is another tragic day for the Philippines.  Nature really has a way to send a message...Poor people, they never thought that this will happen to them as they were caught helplessly by the raging nature.  Let's all pray for them, may God help them all to rest in peace...

Yes sunasia22,
      What really pains me are the children. These things never happened before.
      Thanks for the comment.

4. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 4 years ago

How sad. sad Seeing dad and children in a pic is heartbreaking. Global warming is to blame for some of this. May God protect those who are still alive, comfort those who have suffered loss and pray for those who are weathering a storm.

Yes AEvans,
      You can see the love of a father, even in death he cannot let go of his little ones. Heartbreaking, yes it is.
      Thanks for the comments.