What is the point of College any more?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. StacieFace profile image58
    StacieFaceposted 12 years ago

We spend all of this time waking up each day, going to class and maintaining good grades to FINALLY earn a degree. But what then?!
    Degrees end up just being a piece of paper we strived and sweated to get that just sit in a nice frame on our wall.
    Is it just me or is it the job experiences we have that really teach us about the job market? I feel like we spend all of this money and energy going to college to learn a foundation and then we get into our careers and its almost nothing like what we learned.
    Your thoughts?

1. Shanna11 profile image75
      Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I'm in college right now, so I certainly hope this isn't the case!

I work as a dishwasher right now and if anything, it's solidifying the idea that a college degree will help me earn more money and a better job than washing other people's dishes.

Sometimes you just have to play the game, I guess.

Edit: Besides, I love college. It's a great time to get out on my own without REALLY being out on my own. I'm thousands of miles away from my family, learning how to be an adult and yet, I'm still in an environment that understands I'm still growing up-- which is much more beneficial to me personally than being introduced immediately to the working, adult world straight after high school.

2. calpol25 profile image58
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

I never went to college, and went straight in to work from I was 16yrs old and I have to admit I learned alot more about life and gained alot of insight and experience in the working field that way. I have seen people who come from college in to the working field and some do struggle because what they have learned in a classroom is different to the job they usually do and so can take a lot longer for them to adapt. smile

3. StacieFace profile image58
    StacieFaceposted 12 years ago

I hear what you are saying and am not saying college is a complete waste of time. I've learned a lot, but at the same time I feel I've learned more from my actual work. You know the saying "things are never how they seem" well thats my opinion on college. You get this idea of what a particular career field will be like based on what you learn in college, but when you get there is can be completely different. Makes me question why college is such a necessity. Internships seem to make more sense.

1. calpol25 profile image58
      calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, internships may be the key.

4. profile image0
    timmathisenposted 12 years ago

College helps develop two important transferable skills: the ability to communicate effectively and to think critically about any subject. These skills provide the foundation for everything one does in his/her career.

Besides, you get to meet lots of cool people, learn about different cultures, and grow as a person.

One other thing: We're part of the most-educated generation. The value of holding a bachelor's degree has diminished because so many people have one. This makes competition in the job market difficult, especially for those with a high school diploma.

These are my my thoughts on the subject, anyhow.

5. rebeccamealey profile image91
    rebeccamealeyposted 12 years ago

My son was a high school drop in. He dropped in every day or two. He obtained a GED, attended local tech school, did internship and at 28 years old makes 6 figures as a web developer. It can be done. He is not a genius, it just takes determination!

StacieFaceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Determination is definitely key! Congratulate your son for me, that is an amazing accomplishment at 28.
      Technical schools are internships seem to be the best opportunities to really learn and understand a field.

6. Bill Yovino profile image87
    Bill Yovinoposted 12 years ago

A college education certainly won't hurt you, but you shouldn't mortgage your future to pay for it. Unless you graduate from an Ivy League school, the college you attend doesn't really matter much when it comes to looking for a job. An inexpensive community college is about the same as a $30k/year private school to most recruiters.

If you don't have a clear career path in mind, college may not be what you need.

I have a couple of college degrees and recently found myself out of work when my software engineering job was sent to China.  If I had it to do over again I would probably choose a trade school of some kind. You can't off-shore plumbing, electrical, or welding jobs.

Many good careers in the health field don't require a four year degree, some don't require any college.

The idea that everyone should go to college no longer makes sense now that the cost of a 4 year education typically exceeds $100,000.

StacieFaceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course, education never hurts. The more we educate ourselves the better prepared we are for anything. But with that said there can be quicker and more cost effective ways to prepare ourselves.

Community colleges are the way to go, but now days they are becoming almost as expensive as the universities.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)