jump to last post 1-27 of 27 discussions (63 posts)

Are you bilingual? What language?

1. 0
    TrinityCatposted 4 years ago

I'm curious to find out how many people here dominate another language other than English. What drove you to learn it? big_smile

1. vox vocis profile image92
      vox vocisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I fluently speak four other languages. In Europe, children are obliged to pick at least one foreign language as an obligatory school subject (starting with primary school).

1. Melissa A Smith profile image94
        Melissa A Smithposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Took french for 7 years in school and still speak nothing of it.

2. dinkan53 profile image77
      dinkan53posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I speak English, Hindi, Russian and Ukrainian Language, as I completed my studies in Ukraine.

3. Bmm209 profile image73
      Bmm209posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm learning japanese. does that count? smile

1. 0
        TrinityCatposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Close, but no. tongue But you are on your way to be fully bilingual with the language! wink

2. Ms Dee profile image85
    Ms Deeposted 4 years ago

Indonesian. Lived there for many years, so had to learn in order to carry out daily living.

1. HubTub profile image85
      HubTubposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No, wish I was.  Spanish would be my choice for a second language, however.

1. 0

Then what are you waiting for?! tongue

3. Kangaroo_Jase profile image80
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 4 years ago

English and Klingon,

Ok now its out that Im actually a nerd smile

1. 0

It's ok, you are not alone. Nerds are awesome. big_smile

2. MummyDearest profile image74
      MummyDearestposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You are not Dr Sheldon Cooper are you??? haha

1. 0

Lol

4. INFJay profile image85
    INFJayposted 4 years ago

English is my native tongue, while Spanish is my second language I grew up with as a child. French is my third language that I learned and have been speaking for 20 years while interacting with the Francophone community in the San Francisco Bay Area. Visiting Spanish and French speaking countries has enriched my life so much. Learning a second or third language is well worth the hard work!

1. 0

Agreed. It's incredible when you can speak someone else's native language, socialize and not depend too much on their dictionary. tongue

5. j024z profile image85
    j024zposted 4 years ago

I used to speak French pretty fluently, but since 2004 I've been learning Chinese.  So I suppose I can speak 3 languages.  English (duh), French (when I'm drunk), and Mandarin Chinese (though I speak it with a Northeastern Chinese accent).

1. 0

That's amazing!

6. elayne001 profile image48
    elayne001posted 4 years ago

My husband is from Tonga, and we lived there for several years, so I can speak basic Tongan. It is similar to Samoan and Hawaiian. Some words are actually the same. We now live in Hawaii, and I have picked up quite a bit of Hawaiian also.

1. 0

Wicked. big_smile

7. Silwen profile image83
    Silwenposted 4 years ago

My mother tongue is Lithuanian. I speak English and Russian quite well.

1. 0

I actually had to read what was Lithuanian before replying back to you. ^_^' It's very interesting. big_smile

8. Cardozo7 profile image61
    Cardozo7posted 4 years ago

I'm from Portugal, so Portuguese is my native language. Also speak english and french.

1. 0

Three languages, that's a milestone. Amazing.

1. HubTub profile image85
        HubTubposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't know what I'm waiting for. I've got a Learn-How-To-Speak-Spanish CD set...lol.  Guess i should get cracking.

9. Sonia Perozzi profile image87
    Sonia Perozziposted 4 years ago

I am fluent in Italian. The driving reason behind learning it is that I am of Italian heritage. My father immigrated to the states, I wanted to learn more about my roots, and where he came from. I also have aunts, uncles and cousins in Italy that I wanted to be able to talk to and have a relationship with. I love it, now we visit each other when we can. Sometimes I go to Italy other times they come here. I would actually like to become fluent in Spanish and French as well. My Spanish is so-so at this point.

1. 0

That's great. Italian is the language I'm trying to learn while I'm on my free time. Phonetics between Italian and Spanish are quite similar, making it a little awesome. big_smile

1. Sonia Perozzi profile image87
        Sonia Perozziposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am happy to hear you are learning Italian:) If you ever have any questions or just someone to bounce off of someone I would be more than happy to help! Yes there is similarities between Italian and Spanish sometimes I end up using an Italian word when trying to speak Spanish lol! Buona Fortuna!!

1. Sonia Perozzi profile image87
          Sonia Perozziposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Oops *If you ever need someone to just bounce off of* sorry for the horrible typo!!

10. 0
    Deborah Sextonposted 4 years ago

Hebrew, Greek , and a tiny amount of Spanish

Around my husband and son, I speak half English and half Hebrew. I started that when my son was born so he'd know both languages and I never got out of the habit.

1. tosocialsuccess profile image60
      tosocialsuccessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I heard you're not supposed to teach a child more than one languages at a time because they'll just get confused. Is it true?

11. RNMSN profile image89
    RNMSNposted 4 years ago

Yo no se asi yo hablo bueno in espanol pero asi un enfermira es importante a dice espanol un pocito. Comprendo?

1. 0
      Deborah Sextonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I speak only a little Spanish too

I'm fluent in Greek and Hebrew

Greek
      Kaló apóyevma, Hárika ya tin gnorimía.

Parakaló miláte pyo argá

Hebrew

Erev tov!   Ma shelomkha

12. dmop profile image85
    dmopposted 4 years ago

I am not, but have been working on learning some Japanese. I have found it to be challenging yet stimulating, such a beautiful language.

1. 0

It is a beautiful yet complex language. That's what makes it interesting. wink

13. MummyDearest profile image74
    MummyDearestposted 4 years ago

English and Malaysian/Indonesian - taught in school
    Cantonese - Hong Kong TV series aired on TV
    Mandarin & Hokkien - Favorite Food Vendors (have to learn to speak their language if I want to get little 'extras'..haha)
    Hainanese - Mum and Maternal Grandma who looked after me growing up..(It's funny though, I can understand them in Hainanese but usually reply in Cantonese!)
    Teochew - From Dad (But only when I am encountered with bad motorist while driving) $%^&*$"!!!

14. SoManyPaths profile image60
    SoManyPathsposted 4 years ago

I am pretty fluent in Brazilian Portuguese although I wish I learned French. Yes, it is nice to know another language. It is a benefit.

15. Pearldiver profile image88
    Pearldiverposted 4 years ago

A bit of French, Thai, Spanish, English...

And my primary language - Fluent Sarcasm! smile

1. sofs profile image89
      sofsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That is an honest answer smile

I speak at least seven Indian languages fluently, while French was a language that I studied at school but I have  forgotten much of it due to lack of use... hmm

1. Pearldiver profile image88
        Pearldiverposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ahh.. perhaps not having French at the moment is good for you Sofs...

I'm sure it would get lost in those Double 00s big_smile big_smile

2. 0

Cool smile

16. stanzi11 profile image84
    stanzi11posted 4 years ago

I speak fluent Slovak, English, Czech and Hungarian.

1. 0

Interesting languages, especially Hungarian. I need to research more about it... smile

1. stanzi11 profile image84
        stanzi11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Maybe I can write a hub about the Hungarian language?smile

1. 0

That would be good. If you do so, let me know! smile

1. stanzi11 profile image84
            stanzi11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ok, I will smile

17. Aya Katz profile image89
    Aya Katzposted 4 years ago

Hebrew is my native language, but I speak English like a native speaker, since I learned it in first grade. I wrote about my language leanring experiences in a children's book called Ping & the Snirkelly People.

1. 0

That's sweet! big_smile

1. Aya Katz profile image89
        Aya Katzposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, TrinityCat.

18. kayha profile image74
    kayhaposted 4 years ago

Dutch, English and Urdu makes me trilingual. big_smile

1. 0

LOL!

19. Beth100 profile image85
    Beth100posted 4 years ago

Taishanese, hoisan, Cantonese, French and English.  smile 

A bit of Spanish (though I've lost most of it due to lack of use) and am learning Mandarin.  smile

1. Pearldiver profile image88
      Pearldiverposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wow... online dating does work in some respects then big_smile

Last year I had to learn Bonito Banana.. now that's a tough language Beth! smile

1. Beth100 profile image85
        Beth100posted 4 years ago in reply to this

lol  lol

you kill me PD!!  lol 

smile

20. anonimuzz profile image82
    anonimuzzposted 4 years ago

Portuguese is my native language, English is my second language, I'm moderate in French and at a basic level in Spanish.

21. StellaSee profile image91
    StellaSeeposted 4 years ago

I speak English and Japanese and high school Spanish ;D

1. 0

Awesome big_smile

2. understandyurself profile image60
      understandyurselfposted 4 years ago in reply to this

GREAT... yikes

22. understandyurself profile image60
    understandyurselfposted 4 years ago

I said I'm posting this with google translation, because it has been 6 years learning English and can speak up a little now but it's hard to grammatical deviations ...

23. Ms Dee profile image85
    Ms Deeposted 4 years ago

TrinityCat, When I first responded to your question, I only said another language I can speak is Indonesian. I did not mention a third, since no one will have heard of it, but I see now some are mentioning some I've not heard so will tell you I speak a minority language in Indonesia, Galela. I speak it even better than Indonesian. I learned it so that I could translate the New Testament into it. Knowing it sometimes catches me up on my English, because it uses quite a different word order. The verbal clause comes last in the sentence, even before and object or direct object clause.

24. CHRIS57 profile image61
    CHRIS57posted 4 years ago

I am German by birth, was raised in the US, so i pass as native speaker in both languages. Then there is Russian, the language of my wife, which i speak with sort of a baltic accent, at least that is what people tell me in Russia. And i don´t get lost in France, having learned French in school. With my grandmother i always spoke "Plattdüütsch" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_German

25. lone77star profile image90
    lone77starposted 4 years ago

I'm multilingual, sort of. English, of course, but also Visual Basic (dialects 3, 6, .Net 2003, 2005), C and the C++ dialect, Pascal, BAL, COBOL, a smattering of Fortran, some Java, HTML, PHP, plus good old fashioned Assembly Language.

With humans, I speak some Spanish. I took 3 years of it in high school, but the first two teachers were awful -- atrocious! Some people should not be teachers unless they can learn to teach. Parroting rote material is not teaching. My third high school Spanish teacher was breathtakingly wonderful. Too bad we only had her for half a year; I might actually have been fluent in the language all this time.

I also know a smattering of Basque, plus a few simple words in a wide variety of languages (some of them long dead). I currently live in the Philippines and I'm learning the language of the Central Visayas, Cebuano.

I would dearly love to learn more languages and fluently, but I would also like to get my PhD in astronomy, geology, mathematics, chemistry, computer science, literature and philosophy. Still working on it.

26. free-seotools profile image60
    free-seotoolsposted 4 years ago

I am learning to speak Portuguese but it will probably take me until the end of time to understand all the nuances of this language. At least I can talk to my elderly neighbours.

27. mbyL profile image82
    mbyLposted 4 years ago

I speak German and Serbian perfectly fluently and Swiss German too if that counts. And yes English too as I am learning it since 2007 and French of course and also I learn Russian and can speak it more or less fluently wink

working