jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Double Majoring and Minoring in a foreign language... can it be done?

1. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

I just started the paperwork today to petition for a double major. I'm a political science major right now, and I want to add Economics to my major and then I plan on minoring in Arabic. When I graduate, I want to attend law school and get a job working for the Government-- like on a council or board or in a bureau.

I was required to fill out a prospective graduation plan with both majors and minors with only 9 semesters available, and I managed to just barely fit it in, and fit in a study abroad to Jerusalem to hone my Arabic.

Is this stupid on my part? I can handle it grades-wise and work-load wise, but I have to provide a statement that explains why I feel it's necessary to double major instead of just minor in econ or intern and I also have to explain why a second major would be valuable to me in graduate education or employment. Any ideas?

So far I'm just going to explain that my combination of majors and minor make me very competitive for a government job, and competitive for law school. They also give me a plethora of future career options and I don't want to be limited in what I can do. Plus I love economics and I just want a deeper understanding of it, which wouldn't be readily available in a minor (fewer classes/credits) or in an internship.

1. mattforte profile image91
      mattforteposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Pretty sure you just answered your own question. Especially if you get into politics...the politicians with more knowledge are geenerally going to be better leaders than those without.

1. Shanna11 profile image91
        Shanna11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I just am feeling a little lost in the whole idea, despite visiting with several academic and career planners. I guess I was hoping there would be some double majors on Hubpages who could share their experiences.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

My university just allowed double majors automatically if you meet the requirements for a major in more than one area.

Its main use to me has been the ability to re-shape my CV depending on the type of job I was applying for.