jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)

Chardon and School Violence

1. Joelipoo profile image82
    Joelipooposted 5 years ago

Yesterday, there was a school shooting at Chardon High School in Ohio.  Five students were shot, and three of them have passed away now in the past 24 hours.  As a teacher in Ohio, this one touches close to home.  With shootings and other violent acts occuring in schools, what can be done to help stop this problem?

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Not much. For corrupt people and nations where the truth cannot be approached, violence is the only way that problems can be solved.

1. Cre8tor profile image95
      Cre8torposted 5 years ago in reply to this

With 3 kids in Ohio schools, I feel ya Joelipoo. The only thing we can do is talk with our kids, keep our ears to the ground and hope our schools are well prepared for this type of incident. (Parents!!! Check your kids Facebook page for cryin' out loud. Nearly everyone of these incidents have been broadcast on the internet prior!!!)  That's not to say it can be prevented (sad but true) but our police dept. here is so regularly involved...I feel at least a bit more confident in my childrens' safety. They have one officer in each school with a K-9 and drill regularly for this. I suppose I'm lucky.

Unfortunately, the rest is out of our hands. There is just no way to 100% stop this kind of senseless violence.

1. scottwkelley profile image60
        scottwkelleyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What I am hearing is a need. As a social media manager do you think schools could use our service to monitor those keywords. Or is that getting to restrictive and getting into privacy issues?
        I agree that we are not paying attention, we missed something that was said. An action that happened where we wait to see what will happen next when common sense could easily predict the path of least resistance and what will happen next.
        I believe that there were tell tell signs before the event climaxed.
        I am sure the parents of these children are asking questions. Will they get answers? Will we get answers? Will the media take things to an educational level? Or will they move on to the next piece of entertainment of blood shed and disgrace?

I think schools could use something like this. I know in my community, if the school turned it down, I wouldn't be shocked if our police dept. did it themselves.

I know I could catch flack for this but...privacy CRAP! They're kids. If only certain keywords are being searched then there shouldn't even be a discussion. No one cares who they're going out with Saturday...we're looking for criminals or potential of. I believe that many (not all) people who throw around the word privacy too much are doing so because they've something to hide. This imformation is being posted on the internet...THE INTERNET....don't talk to me about privacy. (NOTE: This isn't directed to anyone here in particular just a general statement /rant.)

1. scottwkelley profile image60
            scottwkelleyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Kudos Cre8tor! As we speak..airports, subways and any large event where people are gathering our home land security is monitoring keywords. I just read a post on Mashable that warned people who travel to watch what they post. So the concept is already in place...But we are talking about children now which elevates the concern I believe. We place so many things on the higher order to protect children it will baffle my mind as to why we would not choose to do the right thing, the right way. I hate having common sense, it can drive me a little crazy sometimes when i see the obvious with a solution. Partial solution any ways. I also believe we could just do it too, like you said it is public. How hard would it be to research a community these days and watch for keywords that display hostility and violence?

3. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

It is not senseless. Violence pervades film, television, politics, international affairs, religion and the moral system.

It's senseless when no one provides the guidance to decipher these things from real life and the respect thereof.

I agree though that it's pumped into our everyday in everyway.

2. Cassie Smith profile image68
      Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you that examples of violence are everywhere.  Apparently it was also in the killer's life.  His father abused his ex-wife.  Who knows what violence the killer either saw or experienced when he was living with this father.  After the parents divorced, it seemed that he was angry and had few friends.  It's hard to look after the kid when everyone is in turmoil.

3. Joelipoo profile image82
      Joelipooposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I would agree that there is far too much violence in film, video games, and televison.  Young people have become numb to violence and killing.  Sometimes I do not know if they understand the actual reality of it.

4. Paul Kuehn profile image87
    Paul Kuehnposted 5 years ago

Unless moral values such as love, compassion, humility, compromise, and peace are taught in both families and schools, there will continue to be a lot of violence in schools and society.

I believe part of the problem is the destruction of the family.  As a nation, we have moved away from raising children in the confines of a marriage and family.  I would have to say that this deterioration of family has been partly to blame for the downward spiral of the nation.  We are moving further and further away from the moral values most people once held.

No doubt that families aren't what they used to be but feel the destruction of morality in this nation is more to blame for this type of incident.

5. Gypsy Rose Lee profile image64
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 5 years ago

I just don't understand the modern world. Schools should never be involved in things like violence leave alone shootings. My God when I went to school I was so lucky to be in a great high school and I had no worries just fun with friends. If I had to go to school these days I think my parents would have to consider homeschooling because I'd be so terrified you couldn't get me out of the house. How those kids cope with it all is a wonder. My heart goes out to those parents and may God stand by and be there for those kids who have to go one.

6. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I don't think "society" is necessarily the problem when one more mentally ill boy gets a gun.  School shootings literally go back to the days of bow and arrow (11th century examples).  Guns have just made the same unhappy people more deadly and the media ensures we all know about it immediately.

1. Niteriter profile image77
      Niteriterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Being a little skeptical about this 11th-century bow and arrow claim, I would like to see a video as evidence please.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

LOL.  It won't be on You tube.  I learned about it in a 'history of the university' lecture.  An irate student when up a tower and shot townsfolk with arrows until dragged down.

If you look at the proportion of people who are extreme sociopaths (as a constant, about half a percent), figure in huge population growth, better weapons, more of the life span spent at school and better media coverage--I don't see evidence of an increase in violent people per se.

7. Gibranna profile image61
    Gibrannaposted 5 years ago

I can't believe that violence and suicide among teens has become such a trend in this area of the country. My husband grew up in Chardon and all the families we've met are good midwestern, solid value people. It was only a few years back that there were multiplt teeange suicides in the neigboring town Mentor. I believe the link between thesse 2 events is the lack of diversity and sheltering by the parents. One of the teen suicides was a gay/ lesbian teen, whom was feircly taunted by non accepting, sheltered peers. What do you all think?

I think this is one instance. The teen suicide is another. The local boy here that at 9 felt the choking game, (he learned about on a video posting site I won't name) would be fun...he is no longer with us and neither are the 18 other game players in the same county. Disgruntled employess taking out an office of co-workers is another instance as well as a group of people who enjoy flying planes into buildings.

What do I think? The world is going to hell in a handbasket.

"Our technology has far surpassed our humanity." To change the world, I start with me and my children. From there, we are bound by too many laws, processes and immovable forces to make significant change. We would rather protect our privacy and freedom of speech than the lives of the innocent. (I advocate for both rights but feel both have been abused) I ache from the thought but believe only a major event/crisis/tragedy will wake up those who truly run the world.

8. Niteriter profile image77
    Niteriterposted 5 years ago

I heard a story once about a kid named David who killed a guy with a rock and a sling. All the guy was doing was standing in the middle of a field bellowing at people. This happened way before the Trojan horse ran wild as far as I know. Nasty kids have been around a long time.

9. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

The media is fundamentally here to tell us stuff happened.  What we do about it is down to us.

What the media is supposed to do and how they actually report are two different things. There is much more subjective and slanted news reporting than there is objective. However, I would agree that it is a personal choice as to how we respond. People seem unable to accept responsibility for their own actions anymore.

AMEN!

Now I ask, as my kids are being searched entering school today because of a threat written in both our middle and high school, "Why did a parent have to contact our police dept about this threat and not the school?"

Threat: "I'm gonna shoot all you freshman BI#$$%"

Sparing the details, apparently the school sluffed it off as a "bad joke". Sure, it's likely, but are you f#@#$% kidding me?!

After a lame attempt to even find the threat, which they didn't, a student sent a pic to a parent who contacted our PD...they found it nearly right away. Now some parents say they're over reacting by the search. They're idiots. Our PD, though likely wasting their time, reacted perfectly. Tell that to those parents in Chardon and then repeat it when it's your kid.

Sorry for the rant but this a perfect example of failure and idiocracy at its' finest!

working