Grants, loans and scholarships for college

1. weezyschannel profile image85
    weezyschannelposted 4 years ago

Okay, have a question and was wondering if my fellow hubbers could help. I filled out FASFA for college for my son, but the grants and scholarships aren't going to cover it all (I knew it wouldn't). Anyone have any suggestions or anything on what to do or where to go from here for more money for education?

thanks a bunch

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Here's my advice after just graduating this past August with a B.A.S. Don't take out any loans. Pay as you go. If he can only take one class at a time because that's all you can afford, so be it. If you start taking out loans like I did, even with government aid, I owe about $80,000. I wasn't worth it. Pay as you go.

2. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image85
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 4 years ago

weezychannel, your son can borrow $5500 max as a freshman on a student loan. You can likely borrow the rest on a Parent Plus loan. The rates of interest aren't too bad.

But the problem, as couturepopcafe indicated, isn't getting the money, it's paying it back.

You son could join the Armed Forces and when he is out go to college on the G.I. Bill.

Options, there are always options.

What is your son going to majoring in?

If it's not something that is definitely going to result in a job when he's done, might not make sense for him to go to college now, particularly since you seem concerned about finances.

What this country does not need is more college graduates working at Burger King.