jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Obama OK with high gas prices to force people to use alternate energy

1. Cassie Smith profile image75
    Cassie Smithposted 4 years ago

Energy secretary Chu admitted to the House committee that Obama doesn't want to lower gas prices so that people would be forced to buy electric and hybrid cars.  That's why Obama didn't approve the Keystone pipeline and has been reluctant to approve new drilling in US and offshore.  And I thought he was interested in helping people during a tough economy. My bad!

1. pisean282311 profile image60
      pisean282311posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Obama is futuristic...alternate energy is future...your should be proud of such president smile

Cassie Smithposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No, I think if our economy and people are suffering why not use the energy that's here, accessible and cheaper.  If alternative fuels made sense, business and people would use it readily.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No they won't.  Very few business OR individuals will pay extra to protect or improve our future.  Business in particular is interested only in profits today - it is one of the reasons that our major industries are struggling so badly.  They won't invest in the future that is years away with monies that could be spent to improve stock prices next week.

Not that I think Obama has a viable road map to the future, either.  Most of his policies will only hurt down the road, but they buy votes today and keep people happy right now.

Cassie Smithposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You're right people won't pay extra if that technology doesn't improve what they currently have because it doesn't make sense.  It's up to the industry to prove they are a viable alternative, not the government.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

In the long run we do need to move to alternatives, but that is only a small part of the decision-making process.  There are huge economic, political and environmental issue too.

3. innersmiff profile image86
    innersmiffposted 4 years ago

If we stopped going to war to get more oil, the prices would rise accordingly thus providing extra incentive for people to invest in cheaper and ultimately more sustainable alternatives. There we go again Obama, trying to fix a problem you created with tyranny.

4. vector7 profile image61
    vector7posted 4 years ago

Obama is a joke. So is our entire government, and the people that continue to suck political lies up their gullible straw and watch tv news rather than research the truth... [if shoe fits, wear its]

This country isn't getting better anytime soon.

Bet on it? [I could use the extra cash] wink

5. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Since when does the White House control gas prices?