jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

There Should Be A License for Parenthood As There Are People Totally

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Unfit To Be Parents

I came across an article on the Huffington Post dated March 4, 2012 that two children in Anchorage, Alaska died of hypothermia.  One was a 3 year old toddler and her younger sibling was a year old.  They had wet the bed so their parents opened the windows to air out the bed. However, the weather was thirty degress below freezing. In addition to that, their bedroom door was locked.  The parents, Esther Edwards-Gust(28 year old elementary school teacher) and her boyfriend, Richard Tilden Jr.,, 29 years old was arrested on manslaughter charges. 

I, as other intelligent and civilized people, maintain that parenthood should be a privilege, not a right for all.   I am sick of reading about the horriifc abuse that many of our precious children must endure at the hands of so-called parents.  I further believe that we have licenses for other important things in life so why not have a license for parenthood which is one of the most important responsiblities people undertake.  What is your premise regarding this subject?

1. momster profile image60
      momsterposted 4 years ago in reply to this

thats just stupid of parents, a school teacher no less but I think some parents would pass for the license and still kill their kids but it might save some people from having kids if they cant get a license

2. Evan G Rogers profile image83
      Evan G Rogersposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think there should be a license for living. Some people are just unfit for it.

3. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't think it's a bad idea to require a license for parenting.  At the very least, parenting classes should be required for pregnant women and their partners.  One hears all the time about how children don't come with a handbook, but there are certain things that can and should be addressed when it comes to raising children, like managing the stress that accompanies a newborn, and what might be appropriate and positive ways to discipline children as opposed to starving, shaking, beating, or freezing them to death.

1. innersmiff profile image87
        innersmiffposted 4 years ago in reply to this

And who do you propose should conduct these classes?

4. Mac31 profile image60
      Mac31posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think what needs to happen is that as a new parent you must attend classes on nutrition, child care and CPR.  I don't think getting a license or getting a certificate is going to change anything on the way that the parents treat there children.  I think that people like this probably get a kick out of watching children suffer.  In this case I think that the parents should suffer the same fate as there children did by opening there window and letting them freeze.  I know it would not make a difference in bringing there kids back but it would remind them of how they suffered as well.

2. jambo87 profile image91
    jambo87posted 4 years ago

And what would be the requirements for this license?  People have sex and that can result in babies –– "good" people and "bad" people do this.  A government sanction won't change this fact of life.

3. innersmiff profile image87
    innersmiffposted 4 years ago

I think there should be a license for urinating. People just can't aim properly! It's sick!

4. innersmiff profile image87
    innersmiffposted 4 years ago

You probably could stop every undesirable behaviour on Earth if you wanted to, but you would have to implement a police state and punish the whole class for one kid's behaviour. Is this worth it?