jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Is Free Will an Illusion?

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

"Are you really in control, or is your every decision predetermined? ..."

1. galleryofgrace profile image81
      galleryofgraceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

All of life is an illusion created by each human. If one doesn't like their illusion they should change it.

2. kess profile image61
      kessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You live in a predetermined state until the day you know that you can decide if, when and how you shall die.... And that day is the day of your birth, for it is the dah you begin to Live. Life is absolute freedom.

2. innersmiff profile image85
    innersmiffposted 4 years ago

I wouldn't really care if Scientists believed this if it wasn't for this:

"Though everyone must be held accountable for his or her actions, neuroscience and the nonexistence of free will should be factored into some criminal cases, the scholars argued."

That is severely worrying. If we posit that there is no free will then we can posit that there is no such thing as morality. Very dangerous.

1. vector7 profile image60
      vector7posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, they don't seem to care..

They believed they are predestined to not care anyway, so no one can blame them right?

It leaves everyone unaccountable, which is simply silly.

Yes, we have free will, and thinking the opposite holds no logically sound basis at all.

If "I" want to be a mail-man, then it is a 'personal' desire and I go apply.. [who made me do it??]

That comes from 'freedom'...

People have blown the concept into confusion because some people wrote long paragraphs and twisted the logic...

You 'take' freedom from people with guns and power. You can't 'take' what people don't 'have'... Therefore they 'have' freedom, and in freedom they have free will..

PS: Don't want to hear anyone bashing me, you can't say "I don't have free will, something made me this way I 'had' to say something.."

3. pedrog profile image19
    pedrogposted 4 years ago

Of course we have free will, we have no other choice...

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

4. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 4 years ago

An interesting article. Six is a small segment of a larger population. I found further interest with left brain thinking being 4 and right brain being 2. Pedrog's statement is intriguing too. Bookmarked the article for sci-fi adventure story ideas. I ponder more from the historical perspective vs. the evolution of science. Rational thought vs. empirical thought flows a bit. Now, the question to be considered - was this decision made just now, after writing this blurb, predetermined to post? And, those posts made prior to this post, were they predetermined to give cause to the overall post - content, thoughts, biology, etc. Who knows about the next reader? Or, the subsequent returning viewer too. Is this thread empirical in nature or rational? And, what about the song coming on my internet stream right now 'Baba O'Riley' by the Who. Odd . . . as the P90X commercial says, 'Push the button . . .

5. DAWNEMARS profile image73
    DAWNEMARSposted 4 years ago

In some ways it is. There are only so many choices you can make in any given situation. Future is not set -do'nt believe in that. Things are just more likely or less likely.

6. 0
    erickcbposted 4 years ago

Pedrog: You should make a Hub on that statement.

1. vector7 profile image60
      vector7posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, he should write how he has no freedom because he isn't free...

Maybe a inmate will write a response hub..

Or maybe a ww2 veteran..

7. vector7 profile image60
    vector7posted 4 years ago

btw.. if you conclude on the assertion that no one has free will, then you are bound by your own words and moral conclusion to free all thieves, murderers, serial killers, pedofiles, rapists, etc.. as 'they didn't choose to do anything'...

hmm, yeah - can't wait to see that political agenda.

i'll be LEAVING the country. Of my OWN FREE WILL.