jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Human Evolution and Hybrids

1. Paul Wingert profile image79
    Paul Wingertposted 4 years ago

Neanderthals bred with Cro Magnons to create hybrids ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/323657.stm ) which is possibly one of the many reasons why they became extincted. That is debatable and needs further research. Does anyone believe that Cro Magnon, Neanderthals, and other earlier human species could of been hybrids themselves? I'm not ruling evolution of the early human species, but suggesting that if it's possible that the interbreeding helped speed the process along. Since there were several human species existing at the same time and, more or less coexisted, that would probably solve the so called missing link between Cro Magnon and other primative humans.

1. 0
      LikaMarieposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's more plausible that interbreeding was the key to faster adaption rather than random mutations that had to happen together (miraculously) to evolve.  Because we still see how interracial marriages often produce more beautiful offspring, or healthier, or some sort of improvement today, it's very possible.

2. ptosis profile image81
      ptosisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Picture is from http://voices.yahoo.com/the-future-huma … 983646.htm

"Genocide is one way to better the chances of your own group over competing groups." - nuenke, "Reproductive Perspectives: A Review of Books in the Field of Genetics" comcast.net 10.19.2007

The Cro-magnon gene is only in Europeans BTW....
      See http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread … -ancestors

1. 0

I will check the links out, thanks.  smile

2. BrianMI6 profile image60
    BrianMI6posted 4 years ago

If you run a search for "Mitochondrial Eve" you'll learn that science has shown that we have all come from one woman at some point in time in the distant past.  This means that hybrids in our genetic makeup seems to be rather unlikely if you ask me.  If it was otherwise then we'd have more than one "Eve" in the gene pool....as it is we don't.

1. 0

Well, I think it may depend on how you interpret the info...  In the womb, all embryos start off female, until a certain point where the 'Y' chromosome speaks up and forces the change to male.

This may be the reason why there are a few more males with the androgynous look than with females.

2. kerryg profile image87
      kerrygposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Mitochondrial Eve is just our most recent matrilineal common ancestor. Her existence doesn't rule out the existence of earlier common ancestors.Our patrilineal MRCA lived tens of thousands of years after Eve, so there may be even more recent common ancestors on the male line, and the human MRCA (without regard to male or female lines) may have lived as recently as 5,000 years ago.