Small Families

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 12 years ago

There are many advantages to the small family.  Children receive individualized attention. There is also more disposable income per child as finances are not stretched to the limit.  You have privacy and your own space.   Your parents also have monies to send you to private schools and further education if that is what you wish. 

Children in small families are also more exposed to intellectual and cultural activities that children from large families, due to finances, are not exposed to.  Because of individualized parental attention, children from small families have more advanced vocabularies and adult mannerisms.  In essence, the quality of life is better in small families than there are in large families. 

Let us from small families address the myriad benefits of small families. I, for one, am tired of the negatrive stereotypes that children from small families are shy and withdrawn! Nonsense!  I have found that the more outgoing children are from small families because they participate in activities  such as dancing school and overseas travel where they met children from varied backgrounds.   Children from small families have a normal childhood and adolescence where they are more free to participate in extracurricular and related activites than children from large families who are saddled with caring for their younger siblings and have afterschool jobs to contribute to their family income.  Children from small families are also more likely to attend college and graduate school because there is more monies allotted to their educations.  Let us now discuss the benefits of the small family!

1. Shanna11 profile image75
      Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I, for one, am tired of the negatrive stereotypes that children from large families are underdeveloped, exploited or poor. wink

Benefits to both my friend. One is not always better than the other.

gmwilliamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To Shanna11:  You are a friend.  I welcome your input immensely.  Let's add to the discussion! This is why I love forums.  Forums are becoming quite addictive to me.  Time to return to my writing!

2. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 12 years ago

Yes, I agree. There are definite pros and cons to both situations. It's those unfortunate people who come from medium-sized families! Awful!!!   smile

In my estimation, the medium size family is for those who want the comforts of the small family while having the companionship of a somewhat large number of children.  In other words, people who desire medium size families want a large family without the constant hassles and drainage.

2. Shanna11 profile image75

Haha, what is a medium sized family? The average American family is 2.5 children, right? Hmm, I can see problems having a half of a child...

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

3 kids is more than enough, 1 wife is more than enough too...

4 mistresses is also sufficient.. provided that they have different hair colors.

I agree with you Greek One.  I am an only child.  I am childfree by choice. If I had children, it would be probably either one or two at the most.  Three children would be a completely harrowing experience.  It is difficult enough keeping up with two children.  I have changed my mind- if I had children, it would be one.   I just could not stand the noise that two children would bring! Egad!

2. gmwilliams profile image85

A medium sized family according to sociological definition is from 3-4 children. Some sociologists would even state that 5 children is also a medium sized family albeit on the larger side!

We are digressing here.  Let us stick to the subject and discuss the small family, thank you.

1. Shanna11 profile image75

I had a friend growing up who was an only child, and from my experiences at her house, I would never have just one child. Her parents placed SO much pressure on her to be everything possible because she was their only child that could ever do so. They were obsessive with her, spoiled her and she was a brat and a bully.

I remember I loved how neat their house was though. It was beautiful, always clean and always calm and quiet. That was one thing I really wanted. But the whole one kid thing was decidedly not something I liked.

I am an only child.  Many parents put enormous pressure on their only child to succeed because they only want the best for their child.    I enjoyed being an only child and grew up in similar circumstances.  This caused me to highly driven and not to settle for second best in life.   Yes, my parents indulged me; however, I am not bratty nor a bully.   I am the direct opposite.  I am a kind and gentle soul who believes in giving and donate my extras to those who need it whether it is strangers or family.    Yes, my childhood home was clean and neat.   

I had quite a privileged childhood and am quite thankful for this.  This is why I believe that every child should have the opportunity to grow up affluent and in small families as to receive the undivided love and attention that I have received.   Not every only child is bratty and spoiled.  You mentioned that this child was a bully.  In my experience, I have found that children who were struggling and who were non-onlies that were the bullies.  The only children I knew were beautiful, kind, sweet, and gentle souls.  There is definitely nothing wrong with just having one child.   That beautiful child would receive all the love in the world and will never have to fiercely vy with another sibling/other siblings for parental affection.

3. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

I am truly blessed to be the oldest of three children.  I don't have children of my own, and that's been my choice since childhood because I was the one who got dumped on when family and friends needed a quick babysitter for hire.  Since I didn't come from a large family, I don't know what it's like.  But I'm glad I never found out what it's like to be an only child or be in a family with more than four children.  I'm not going to argue with the stats, but in my family, I am happy that all of us get along and remain close.  That's more important than counting the bodies.

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Arlene, that is the most important thing-that all siblings interface well with each other!

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To Arlene, being an only child is sheer heaven.  Only children are the freest and luckiest of all birth orders.  You have unlimited time to your self.  You are free to be who you want to be without the constant interfere of siblings.  You never have to babysit and be called to be the au pair.   You also have no set familial role like children in multichild families e.g. "the pretty one",
        "the slow one", or "the athletic one."   There is also no favoritism or scapegoating of children like there is in multichild families.   Being an only child is wonderful.   I totally concur with you that I would not want to be in a large family.   Children in large families are not raised as individuals but en masse so to speak.   They are also taught not to have any sense of self because that would be considered to be "selfish."   They also have no privacy nor me time.   I would not wish being part of a large family on my very worst enemy!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)