jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Do you think teachers will become redundant in the future?

1. Kiwi Max profile image80
    Kiwi Maxposted 4 years ago

My mum is a teacher, and she and one day she and I had a thought.

This was after I'd just watched one of my lectures that I've missed on my computer.

She thought how lucky students are today that they can listen and watch a recorded lecture and take notes if they'd missed a lecture of missed an important part of a lecture. Back in her days you had to search for someone with the notes and pray you could read their writing so you could copy them down.

She thought that one day, watching lectures/class lessons online would become the norm and there would be no need for teachers. Teachers would become redundant and only tutors would remain for that extra support when you need the human touch.

- which got me thinking "Could it actually happen, and what effect will this have on students?"

Please feel free to share your thoughts on this topic, I'd love to hear your opinion smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

I guess it depends on how advanced our civilization becomes and how long civilization survives. I can't imagine elementary education without live teachers, but I can see it in the older grades. I'm certain the technology that now exists would have been unfathomable generations ago.

I read in Education Week that there are remote robot teachers in South Korea. They are controlled from real teachers in the Philippines that teach English to elementary students. It is about 3 ft. tall, shaped like an egg and displays an avatar of a woman's face on a tv panel.  The teachers in the Philippines see and hear what's going on while at the controls. They make the robots speak, read books, sing, dance and play alphabet games. They can only teach 8 students at a time.

Kiwi Maxposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wow, I never knew they were already onto this stuff in Korea. A very unusual approach.

3. Stacie L profile image86
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Online teaching is happening all over the world.
    Using technology can replace the information part of the educational process but the human factor is just as important.

Kiwi Maxposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Definitely Stacie, there needs to be a human factor. There's a significant gap between those who do well at University actually attend their lectures and those that just watch them online and don't do so well.

2. MazioCreate profile image73
      MazioCreateposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have to agree with Stacie L in her summation of the current situation. However, having information at your fingertips does not necessarily engender learning. Good teachers create rich environments that support skill learning.  They can also ascertain the type of assistance students need based on an analysis of all available data, not just results.  Yes, certain tasks that teachers undertake can be completed using technology, however, that quintessential factor, understanding, will be very difficult to replace with technology.

4. soutienscolairefr profile image61
    soutienscolairefrposted 4 years ago

I think that onine teaching could susbstitute the real teachers, in could be an additionnal school support. The human relationships are necessary to give children and students the emotional support etc....

1. MazioCreate profile image73
      MazioCreateposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am all in favour of giving learners the option of online lessons and believe this approach supplements classroom activities.  It also gives those students who are undertaking distance education the opportunity to meet face to face with their teacher/tutor/lecturer and fellow students.

5. leenamartha profile image60
    leenamarthaposted 4 years ago

Online teaching is happening all over the world.
    Using technology can replace the information part of the educational process but the human factor is just as important.

6. waynet profile image50
    waynetposted 4 years ago

Yes they will get the sack.....and not the ball sack you understand...FIRED!!!

7. medinformation profile image60
    medinformationposted 4 years ago

I agree with leenamartha.  The human factor is vital to the learning process because we need to physically interact with others.  That being said, technology has come a long way and there's nothing stopping it from making even further strides.

8. Tusitala Tom profile image89
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

This question infers a very narrow conception of 'a teacher.'  We all learn and teach.  We will always have learning therefore we will always have teachers.

Baby lions learn to hunt by being taught by grown up lions.  Therefore those mother lions are teachers.   Mothers teach their kids how to hold a spoon, and a knife and fork, therefore Mothers are teachers.

Now, if you're talking about the stand up teacher in front of a classroom full of kids, well, this could change - and quite likely will.  But someone will continue to teach.  How could it be any other way?...

working