"Noah's Flood" Does it belong to science or religion?

Jump to Last Post 1-46 of 46 discussions (191 posts)
  1. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 15 years ago

A worldwide flood (like described by Noah's flood) is said to be part of many cultures folklore.
    Creationist proponents belive geological evidence "supports " such an event. Atheists (and others) do not. What do you think?

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Noah and the ark was stolen from an earlier Sumerian flood story about the flooding of the city of Shurrapak around 2200 BC. The story appears in The Epic of Gilgamesh which was later adapted and modified by exiled Jews in around 550 BC.

2. TravelMonkey profile image61
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

I believe in science, always have done and always will do. the flood may have actually happened and religions have adapted the story in their own way.

3. BDazzler profile image79
    BDazzlerposted 15 years ago

Science and Religion ... there was a time when people like Newton, Pascal and Keppler didn't differintiate between the two.

When you find fossils of sea creatures in the desert, it's pretty clear that it was covered with water at some point in time ... so ... science or religion?

Both.  Science should not and cannot prove religion.   Often, religious instiutions will draw conclusions from scripture, that are not actually there (such as the earth is the center of the universe) and then when people like Galleo think otherwise, rather than pursuing truth the religious insitution opposes the science.

All information, whether scripture or data, needs to be interpreted.  And this is where bias comes in.  The theistic bias will interpret data with the assumption that theism is true.  An atheisitc bias will interpret data on the assumption that there is no God.

The bias cannot be removed, so it would be best to simply acknowlege your own bias and interpret the data as you will.  My Christian bias doesn't make me wrong.  It certainly didn't hurt Pascal or Newton.

Religion asnwers the one question science cannot ... the ultimate "Why"... Science can tell you there was a flood. But Genesis 6 tells you why there was a flood.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, actually, science tells you there was not a flood. Which is why any discussion about Noah belongs firmly in the religion/myth forum big_smile

1. BDazzler profile image79
        BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My point is that you (or whomever you trust) concluded from their data that there was no flood. And you cannot prove to me (any more than I can prove to you) that their conclusion was not from their own bias.

The data may be indisputable, but conclusions? Why should I trust Dr. Smith with his Phd who says there was not a flood any more than I trust Dr. Jones with his Phd who says there was?

lol

Well, this is because millions of Phds who use an overwhelmingly acceptable way of measuring these things, outweigh the three Phds who argue that it is wrong because it disagrees with the bible.

Plus one has to use a certain degree of common sense.

Is the story of Noah's Ark to be taken literally? Does it make sense that the Grand Canyon was formed in five minutes during the flood?

No, of course not. And there is no scientific evidence to support it whatsoever.

Now, if you want to believe it because your book says it is so, that is entirely your business.

Just do not confuse it with science.

Myths have no place in a science discussion, other than from a purely psychological point of view.

1. AEvans profile image73
            AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

mmmm.... They can someone explain to me how the Ark ended up located and found and encased in a mountainside if there was not a flood? How does science explain this?smile

lol

What?

Not really sure why you believers are so defensive of your faith that you will lie to support it.

This scientific evidence of Noah's Ark is where exactly?

lol lol

And really - you should keep this superstitious mumbo-jumbo in the ancient myth/holier than thou I know what you need to do to be saved forum. Not the science forum.

The Grand Canyon was formed in five minutes ? DO you have a video?

The location of the Ark is supposed to be lodged in Mt.Ararat ,Turkey's highest Mountain Peak which borders Iran and Armenia if you log onto  www.noahsarksearch.com there is an abundance of information that science cannot explain. I don't know where you had gotten that the Grand Canyon was formed in 5 minutes, but I believe that Noah did build an Ark, just like yourself and your scientific views, I myself believe in religion and am also entitled to my opinions without discrediting anyone who does not believe. smile

Science is not about beliefs, it is about measurable data. There is a wealth of information about geological processes that make the idea of a world-wide flood impossible.

Although, I see the religionists prefer to attack science in the science forum and inundate it with a few bronze-age myths smile

And - if the world is only a few thousand years old, just exactly how long do you "believe," the Grand Canyon took to form? lol lol

A few hundred years or five minutes? lol

It is rather interesting that religionists cannot see that there are other reasons for believing something other than blind faith......

An Ark lol

With 2 of every animal lol

A few thousand years ago lol

lol lol

Including the dinosaurs lol

Your childish beliefs are based on nothing but faith.

Which has no place in a scientific discussion.

Therefore this discussion belongs in the "I cant believe I was not created by a god, therefore I will believe any scrap of information that comes along that might support that stupid belief, and if there is any room for a question in the scientific view I will pounce on that as proof all science is wrong." lol

And you a nurse.......

Because I am a nurse does not mean I cannot have faith as there are many of us who are in the medical field who believe in God and not all of us are non-believers. The question was  "Noah's Ark science or religion?" I believe it was place in the correct category as it has been on heck of a discusion would you not agree? big_smile  Mark  a lot has happened to me in my own life which has led me to hold on to my faith, as it certainly was not an amoeba that saved my life, nor was it science it was God who I believe in. I am not badgering you or your beliefs so if it makes you feel better to badger others and get your point across it is your choice. People should not laugh at what others believe, I have never in anyway disrespected others beliefs ,values or lifestyles so I am in the 1% do respect my opinions, without trying to pick everyone's opinions apart to make yourself feel better. sad

2. BDazzler profile image79

I suspect you may exagerate your ratios to make your point, but surely you don't beleive that a simple majority makes something true?  How many scientists get to vote on something to make it true?  If we elect more theists to the science academy, can we change the truth to be more to my liking than yours? [Of course not]

(And at this point, just FYI, I am willing to accept the posiblity that the biblical flood was a huge local phemomenon.)

I don't know if the Grand Canyon was formed in five minutes, or 100 years, but even if there was no global flood, my observions of the way erosion works in my back yard make me think it was formed quickly (like a few hundred years), not slowly (like millions).  And if I had the background and time, that might be an interesting set of experiments in its own right. And I wouldn't have to trust anybody but me.  My gut level guess is that it was probably a glacier over a few hundred years.  Not the flood ,necessarily, but the "really, really, really long time" theory is, at the very least, counter-intuitive to me. 

However, I don't have time to figure out everything for myself. So, I have to trust somebody. And who and why I trust someone is primarily psycological.

Here's the thing, before I was a comptuer science major, I was in chemistry.  I saw (and truth be told particpated in) making up lab data to save time and get a better grade, because we knew what data was acceptable, and what wasn't.  We knew from previous class particpants what the professor graded high and low. In short, we cheated science to get personal rewards.  And I saw it happen at the higher levels too. So, I know from personal observation that people who claim to be scientists will lie.

So, I believe that "reputable" scientists will fake data and conclusions to hang on to their funding. So, I don't trust professional scientists any more than I trust professional holy men.  That doesn't mean all scientists are frauds any more than it means all clergy are frauds. 

It does mean that we have to trust someone or something, but calling it "science" and using "group think" to force scientific conclusions is no better than calling it "religion" and using "group think" to force relgious conclusions. 

I've seen "scientists" lie.  I've seen preachers lie. I don't see the difference.  Just different bias.

Of course I do not believe a majority makes something true. But, I am prepared to accept the majority scientific view.

Using your own observations. you have decided that the Grand Canyon was formed in a few hundred years now.

Interesting. The Grand Canyon has been measured as approximately 1 mile deep in certain places, is 277 miles long, and up to 18 miles wide.

Yet rather than accept any lying scientists view, you have chosen to decide that it could be formed in a few hundred years, based on your observations in your back yard.

Despite the fact that we have been watching, measuring and recording geology in action for a "few hundred years," and this leads us to believe it is a very slooooow process.

That must be some back yard.

lol

As usual, you are twisting the facts and claiming that all scientists are lying.

It must be all of them otherwise, we would have some scientific evidence of the flood.

Although, I do note that you are quite happy to use scientific advances when it suits you. big_smile

Not at all ... I'm not claiming all scientists are lying.  I'm saying I have to trust something. And what I choose to trust is based on my experience. My own bias.   

Honestly, I haven't looked that closely at the grand canyon issue. I was only saying that at first glance, "accepted science" is counter intutive to me, and that I don't know what the biases are of specific people who make specific claims.

I'm not saying they all lie.  I'm saying that we all have a bias. I simply admit my bias. And I am admitting that my bias impacts which scientists I believe.

Science never exists in a vaccum If the Nazi's had gotten ahold of Einstien before he published, or if Max Plank had not "blessed" him. we would still be quite happy with Netwonian physics and never know any better.  The majority of physisits said Thomas Edison was faking his sound recording.

If next week, some new piece of data, plus a political and funding upheaval suddenly makes the majority say there was a flood.  That won't make it true either.

I'm just saying in the interest of honesty, we all need to admit our bias. I have admited mine.

I have no bias. I am skeptical of all information that comes across my path.

But all scientist must be lying because the accepted scientific view is that the earth is millions of years old, the Grand Canyon formed over millions of years and there was no such world wide flood.

As for your bias. Of course you are biased. You believe in the bible, therefore everything else must be a lie. Therefore you trust that bias, therefore your book is right.

It has no place on a science discussion forum because there is nothing measurable or testable in it.

But you go ahead and use your own observations of your back yard as your measuring stick. lol

Proof ! lol

lol You, no bias? Of course not! lol

On the science forum, BTW, I agree data should be posted, links to articles etc.

Links like these two are more appropriate to the science forum:

http://richarddawkins.net/forum/viewtop … mp;t=10675

What? Did Bedazzler, the famed Theist actually post a link to Richard Dawkins? HA Hell hath frozen over!
                    http://www.asa3.org/archive/evolution/199706/0525.html

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not strictly correct, Mark. There is evidence that there was an inundation of the Mediterranean.  In those days, people weren't aware the rest of the world even existed, so a flood in the Mediterranean was, to them, equivalent to a 'world wide" event.  That explains why the flood "myth" is so widespread in that region.

So there was not a world-wide flood. And the scientific evidence supports this.

Thank you.

And for the rest of the believers -

I understand that scientific evidence for you is just another "belief."

And you think there are two equally valid scientific viewpoints here.

And that I "choose" to believe one because of my pre-existing beliefs. Not because of any evidences.

lol

That, ultimately, is what makes your religion so very, very, funny. lol

This is a subject that belongs in the religion forum.

Not here.

I think I am done with this one. Not sure I see the point in explaining science once again.

aka-djposted 15 years agoin reply to this

One more time for the "unbelievers".
            Do please read this page. It is no more than two minutes work. smile
            http://www.nwcreation.net/mtsthelens.html

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I've just read it.  Essentially, it claims that rock formations which geologists say can only form over long periods of time, can in fact be formed by a volcanic eruption in a matter of hours.  Obviously this is an important finding which has implications for geology and the dating of fossils etc. 

The flood is mentioned in one sentence but has only tenuous relevance to the rest of the article.  The types of flows created by a volcanic eruption are not the same as those created by a flood due to rain.  So I don't see this article as providing any evidence of The Flood.

The great flood of Genesis 7:11 seems to be both rain and eruption:

Gen 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

"The fountains of the great deep" may well have been some sort of eruption.
                (BTW, they moved this over to religion)

Yes, but that's not what it says.  A fountain, in English at least, is not fire or ash.  If you can quote a Biblical scholar who was worked on the text in the original language, I would have far more respect for this interpretation.

According to Strong's the Hebrew word translated "fountain" is "Ma`yan" (Strongs #4599)

It is most frequently translated as "spring"  in a couple of places "fountain" and in one or two other places "well"

Basically we have a word picture of water coming down from the sky and up from the earth.

3. aka-dj profile image64

It doesn't really!

Wow! This thread has really taken off. However, only a few zealous contributors are posting.
        Here is " evidince" that is "irrefutable", because it is DOCUMENTED.

http://www.nwcreation.net/mtsthelens.html

No doubt, each camp will view this evidence throught thier own (pre-suppositions) bias.
        Let the evidence speak for itself
        cool

Haven't you been following this thread?  Mark is completely objective and unbiased, and anybody who disagrees with him or thinks he's biased is just using semantic tricks!  Come on! wink

4. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 15 years ago

Well I'd be surprised to learn that geological evidence of a worldwide flood existed, I'd never heard that before. Geology is a pretty exact science with methods for dating geological features fairly routine. This makes it relatively easy to determine if land was once under water and when it occurred. Ultimately, people choose to believe what they want and then go about finding the evidence to substantiate that belief. Often data can be interpreted in different ways and one will choose to interpret data in accordance with a predetermined notion. This is why there are so many interpretations of the same events in history, in theology, and even in eye witness accounts of crimes.

And that is my ultimate point. wink

5. BDazzler profile image79

Here's a link I found with a quick google search.  I don't know who these scientists are, or what their bias is.

Also, I don't know the bias of the publication.  I glanced at the home page quickly and it does not appear to be an "answers in Genesis" type of site, but I only took abut five seconds to look, I was scanning for words like Bible etc.  I admit I could have missed it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 150931.htm

How valid is this evidence?  I don't know. But the bias of both the publisher and the team will certainly be called into question by the people who have an opinoin on the world wide flood.

6. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Wow, this is some quality science we have going on here. lol

So far we have.

It was actually a local flood because people who wrote the bible (God) didn't know there was more to the earth than just the Med.

It was actually a volcanic eruption.

Or a volcanic eruption with a flood at the same time.

Rocks can be formed very quickly in volcanic eruptions. But not the rocks in the Grand Canyon.

It was actually a fountain, or a spring, or a well, or water flowing from up and down. With or without the volcanoes. At least that is what the ancient Jewish text says.

A 600-year-old man.

Very scientific discussion......... lol

Thank you for that very "scientific" response.

7. aka-dj profile image64

The Point! What is the point?
    A regular river does NOT carve out a Grand Canyon, in any million(s) of years. Mt St Helens eruption, and catstrophic mud flow, created a (mini) grand canyon, in a VERY short time. Days, not millenia. I would have thought that this stands as "empirical" evidence AGAINST accepted (evolutionary) theory of l o n g periods of time producing our world, as we know it today.

That is because you do not understand the scientific method or the VAST differences between the two, even though I left links on the other thread you started.

You do not understand the word empirical, or evidence.

You do not understand evolutionary biology.

Sorry dude, your beliefs are based on garbage and patently untrue.

Once you can accept this, perhaps you will allow yourself to understand some science.

In the meantime, this discussion belongs in the myths/superstitions forum.

One up in case you missed it.

Where are all your lol lol faces?
        Or were you really p***** off when you wrote this?
        I see you are about as "hardcore" as anyone can get.
        I guess atheism allows for no mercy or grace or tolerance. Just stand up for your motto of fighting (ALL) b/s, where ever you find it.
        There is an alternate view to all things in life, GOOD LUCK to you in eradicating all opposing points of view. cool
        (No offence intended)

Points of view have no place here unless they can be substantiated in some scientific way.

You asked a question:

And I have attempted to answer that question as best I can. There is zero science to back up a claim of a flood. The site you linked to has been proven false. And the person who wrote that site is a well-known liar who is not, does not and has never used scientific methods. He makes spurious claims based on his belief in an out-dated 2,000 year old religious book that has been so "translated and interpreted," it cannot possibly bear any relation to the original.

Yes, I understand that you believe there was a flood. But that is because you do not understand anything about science, geology, evolutionary biology or the meaning of the words "empirical evidence."

You believe there was a flood and are prepared to ignore the scientific evidence that there was no such thing.

Fine, I realize no evidence or measurable proof  is going to change your "point of view." Yet another persuasive argument against your religion and god. Thank you.

Your beliefs are baseless garbage and have no place in a science discussion forum. There is no scientific discussion to be had.

Your "point of view" is worthless in a science forum. smile

It belongs in the ridiculous fantasy forum. smile

One up in case you missed it smile

big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

That better?

Getting back to the point, please, aka-dj - we are talking about two completely different things here, water and volcanic flows.  I am still struggling to understand what one has to do with the other, and therefore what relevance the cited article has to Noah's flood.  I think if you answered that question, you would stop getting sarcastic responses.

Quite simple, really. The connection is that (if -for the sceptics) when the flood waters began to recede after the 40 days were up, these waters would have rushed (catastrophically) down hill. Thereby, carrying debris, animals, trees etc and carving out many of the geological features we see today. Albeit that erosion, deposition etc has affected all this since then, over several thousands of yares, not millions.
        This would also account for (immeasurable) volumes af dead/dying animals and plants (of the pre-flood era) to be buried under all that (stuff), producing the crude oil deposits deep underground. Not to mention all the fossils, which , incidentally, don't always fall into (expected) strata. Not rocket science, really.
        Hope you get my point more clearly now. smile

No, not really.  What you're proposing above is a huge jump of logic from what the article actually says.

People on BOTH sides of the argument would get a lot more respect if they didn't exaggerate - this is a good example.

I have to say I am a little surprised. Considering we use modelling for SO MANY other "sciences"! Meteorologist use computer models to understand weather patterns. Aviation uses wind tunnels to test areodynamics. Fornsics uses labs to test blood spatter, gun ballistics etc.
            So how is this any different?
            I accept the fact that arguments go to and fro between people with a different interpretaion of the facts, but that's it. hmm

lol

Did you read any of the links I added that demonstrate why this "model," is flawed and pre-programmed to provide a specific set of results based on false data?

Nothing to do with interpretation.

Still, if it helps you believe your book, all power to you.......

This belongs in the ridiculous beliefs forum, not the science forum.

No science here big_smile

Wind tunnels are used to test aerodynamics because wind tunnels can be set up to mimic the real movement of wind fairly accurately.  Computer models have weather information input so they can mimic weather patterns.  Labs test blood spatter using blood.

You can't say a volcanic eruption mimics a flood (which was the first thing you said this article proved).  If you are talking about using it to mimic (model) the laying down of sediments then I'd be with you - but that's a different subject.

Though I mentioned the carving out of the riverbed by the mudflow, the other point that you are making is also there.
                So, what you are saying is that you are "with me" on one point, but not the other?

Maybe it would be easier if you directly quote the sections of the article which you feel directly support the existence of the flood. 

As for the "other point" - which, I remind you, was not the subject of this thread - my view at present is that the evidence points to the evolutionists being right.  However, it's not good scientific practice to ignore evidence that doesn't suit your case - so I'm always willing to consider other viewpoints.

Sorry.
                    I thought (assumed) that it was obvious, re, catastrophic event. Huge volumes of water and debris, rushing downhill, carving out gorges, in their wake.
                    Mt St Helens produced that kind of event. Hence the association with a(the) flood, of Noah's day.

8. aka-dj profile image64

"Science Rules" big_smile

lol

Absolutely. Except when it comes to answering the question, "Why?".............

So, I know the "why", and science is irrelevant, (to the why, I mean).
        There is room for the both of us after all. cool
        Oh. BTW, whilst I'm in the "christmassy" mood, "happy winter solstice to you and yours".

LOL

Thanks. Right back at you. I come from a long line of Druids.....

9. TravelMonkey profile image61
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

Just to let you guys know, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread.

10. BDazzler profile image79

Well, if this link isn't all sciency I don't know what is. 

We got a guy who was an agnostic with a buncha letters after his name.  And a super computer and data and measurements and Los Almos Lab and plate technoics and volcanos and water and earth and all kinda big sciency words like geophysics.  I mean, man they got EVERYTHING.

http://www.globalflood.org/papers/geophysicsofgod.html

wink

But seriously folks, there is a guy who actually is using real data and real computer modeling who takes it seriously.  The article originally appeared in US News and World Report.

His credentials:
    B.S. Electrical Engineering, Texas Tech University - 1968
    M.S. Electrical Engineering, Princeton University - 1970
    M.S. Geophysics and Space Physics, UCLA - 1981
    Ph.D. Geophysics and Space Physics, UCLA - 1983

I.e. smarter than me, and maybe even smarter than Mark (well, probably just almost as smart as Mark)  but it is clear that he is serious and he's taken seriously.

lol
      Well, he certainly takes it seriously, but as to using "real data" and "real computer modeling," Mr. Baumgardner has been relegated to the pseudoscience category long since.

Only 5% of the scientific community "believe" in the idea of Young Earth Creationism, and fully 40% of those few agree that evolution took millions of years, but god had a hand in the process.

Although, I imagine if 5% of the scientific community are determined to prove that the rest of the scientist are wrong, that is a fair few people. Using long words and writing a computer program do not make it science. smile

I see your 3 degrees and raise you 50,000 big_smile

Hey we're up from three people to 5% ... progress!! Yay!!!

lol

Yay! We can be back in the middle ages before you know it. Flat earth, center of the universe, we are all worthless sinners and god did it all in 6 days.......

Lots more burning at the stake for suggesting things that do not agree with the WORD. Yay !!!!!!!!

No more computer conversations, no more cars, no more Teflon, no more.... wait a minute that sound great. Except for the burning at the stake......... big_smile

Well, I've been thinking about that, I've decided that when we burn you at the stake, we're going to use hand rolled dominican cigars instead of wood, because I like you, and your wife won't let you smoke cigars the way you like. 

I hope you won't be offended if some people may take the opinions of a guy with advanced degrees from Princeton and UCLA at little more serously than they take the opinions of a guy who writes articles on food, cameras and motorcycles, no matter how well he writes those articles.

And since we've already concluded that "majority rules" is a very flexible matter, the 50,000  other degrees only matter to a certain degree. wink

Well, I only mentioned the degrees because you did. smile

What worth a degree? This depends on a number of factors, not least of which is the fact that just about anyone can get several degrees if they choose to do so. What actually matters in this discussion is the scientific validity of the research. Or lack of in this case.

What matters is a lone voice in the scientific community attempting to do what this person is attempting to do.

And people such as aka-dj will hold on to anything if it somehow justifies his pre-existing beliefs.

I write on many subjects other than food, cameras and motorcycles. Just not here. smile

I also hold English "A" levels in geography, geology and economics. Which would equate to roughly 2 years at an American college, although not quite degree level. Got bored and joined the real world instead of becoming an academic.

1. profile image0
                sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hell...even people with a gazillion degrees are stupid if they don't know how to use them.  Anyone can recite the periodic table of elements or tell you how to split atoms.  I think the world needs more people who can do something with it then those who can teach you what it means. 

Degrees aren't worth more than what it cost to get one.  smile

Well, I've always had intense questions about the third degree! wink

Which brings me back to my original point ... we all have a bias and that bias determines which people we give credence to.  It is never consistent and never logical, however much we wish it was. I'm still with Poppa Blue.

I mentioned food, cameras and motorcycles because those were my favorite hubs of yours. Especially the English Chips .. Yumm!!!

smile

But this is rather unfair.

By saying that I have made my decision based solely on my personal biases you are completely dismissing my education, common sense and any efforts I may have made to determine what is correct.

As far as you are concerned, the years I spent studying in school were a complete waste of time, I am unable to look at evidence and make a rational decision and the only reason I choose to dismiss certain theories in favor of others is because of a bias based on pre existing beliefs.

I must admit, I hear this a lot from believers in god.

They make all their decisions based solely on faith and are unable to comprehend that some one may use other ways of coming to conclusions and therefore dismiss that process as the same as their decision making process.

This is, to say the least, mildly insulting. There are mountains (sic) of evidence and testable theories that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the earth is millions of years old. I myself have studied some of these and spent several years testing and measuring these facts.

But - you dismiss this as "bias," and some how think that blind faith in a religious book that has been proven to be inaccurate, inconsistent and is still subject to ongoing arguments as to the correct way of interpreting it, in some way outweighs my own personal observations and the collective intelligence of millions of geologists, geographers, biologists and assorted other scientists.

Which is why this discussion belongs in the irrational belief forum. Not the science forum.

Glad you like the chips big_smile

From your own mouth we have an admission. How is the process you use to come to a conclusion any different to mine (ours)?
                    I don't have "degrees", but was taught the same stuff you were,(ie millions of years, evolution etc). I was never fully satisfied with the (conclusions of) evolutionary theory. It was later that I followed through with my own research, to reach my own conclusions.
                    It is an "alternative" and to me, a reasonable, plausible one.
                    Why do you keep calling faith "irrational"?

I still want to discuss this details of this in the future, my time, however is becoming more limted. But, I don't want the year to end with the insult on the table.

First please pardon any unintended insult ... If I may clarify....

I don't take financial advice from poor people.
                    I don't take relationship advice form single people ...
                    I don't take spiritual advice from non-spirtitual people
                    etc.
                    Each person has a point of view and a reason for those points of view.

You have many points of view that I truly respect.  Science and religion just don't happen to be among them.  This is not intended to be insulting.  Many people respect me, but they would be foolish to take decorating advice from me. I am not in any way insulted by that.

If this is still insulting, then please accept my appology. 

In any case, Mark, may you have Peace and Goodwill as the winter begins to fade and the new year approaches.

11. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

There was a guy named Immanuel Velikovski who wrote a book - 'Worlds In Collision'. His theory was that Mars was a comet that nearly collided with earth causing it to flip over with massive upheaval, and that is what caused the 'Great Flood'.

12. BDazzler profile image79

Don't want everybody to think I've bowed out of the conversatin. Lots of catching up to do ... but I'm having to focus on some non-hubpage stuff and my hubpage time is getting more limited. 

Anyway ... will get back in in a few days (more or less)!

13. Edwin Clark profile image60
    Edwin Clarkposted 15 years ago

Wouldn't it be funny if someday humanity gets wiped out save for a few survivors who starts a new generation of the human race digs up The Lords of the Ring Trilogy and turns it into a religion smile

I know this is a science forum, but bear with me.

Lets look at some of the similarities:
    Bible talks about resurrection, so does Lord of the Rings.
    Bible talks about a returning king, so does Lord of the Rings.
    Bible talks about the end of the world as we know it, so does Lord of the Rings.
    Bible talks about magic and miracles, so does Lord of the Rings.

My point is you can't really trust a book that was written by people thousands of years ago who believe in hocus pocus. Way back then people didn't know any better, so its understandable.

Just like today, are we going to believe everything J.R.R Tolkien wrote about just within this century? Of course not. Because we know better.

Not to rain on religious folks parade, but science should not be mixed with religion.
    Don't believe me, start praying for our glaciers to stop melting smile

14. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

I didn't read the whole thread but just from looking at the question, if it wasn't for science how would you know if it were true or not?  Faith??? Come on!

Anyways, I know I have brought this up in other threads but the story of Noah wasn't the first and every civilization had their own story of the great flood. 

It seems every part of the world at one time had encountered or had been devistated by a great flood, sh*t, Katrena was enough to to write another great flood story that will eventually become myth if it weren't for science. 

Anyways, there is evidence, lots of evidence that says the ocean level was as high as some mountians and they know this because they have found sea shells and other things that only live or belong in the sea. 

But this occured way before Noah, before the Eqyptians, before Mesopotamia before Symaria before heck before people.

That's what I heard. So, what about the possibility that it was all just one (and the same) flood? Just told for generations of each following culture, and ending up as slightly (or not so slightly) different versions, etc.

aka-dj - This is a science forum. And you completely missed Sandra's point.  big_smile

One up for the irrational beliefs  lol

How did I miss her point?
          Yes I got that the last time you pointed it out. You gave me your answer before.

The evidence that there were oceans where there are now mountains is millions of years old. See plate tectonics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_tectonics

This was not a flood smile

And happened eons before man was on the earth. So, when you say:

That tells me you completely missed the point of what Sandra said.

How you jump from a few flood myths that are poorly recorded and very, very local, and millions of year old evidence that continental drift occurred causing evidence that where there were once oceans where there is now dry land as a possibility that there was a world wide flood a few thousand years ago is beyond me.

As Sandra said, without the available science of today, Hurricane Katrina would probably have resulted in a flood myth.

This discussion belongs in the silly beliefs section.

One up in case you missed it big_smile

Aaaahhh, you mean, "religion"?
              Hey, I did that, but we get better discussion here. big_smile big_smile

I still think it's "ambiguous?" enough to fall into either or both.
              All shall be revealed (one day). lol lol

The only reason you think it ambiguous is because of your silly beliefs.

Once you have seen the light, you will be fine....... big_smile

15. aka-dj profile image64

Just watched (part thereof) a documentary on "the theory of everything", based on the work of Steven Hawking. Have you seen it?
    Talk about "ambiguous" overlapping of science/quantum mechanics ! ! !
    He has managed to reduce EVERYTHING, to a thing called the "singularity", but this one last thing still eludes him. The "how, and the why"?
    Keep watching!! smile
    PS, How's that? I managed to get this into the right topic! lol lol

lol

I haven't but I will. Looking forward to his conclusions though.

Will you accept whatever he comes up with? ")

I will wait and see, a) what he DOES  come up with,   and b) IF it's more than a "maybe or hypothetical). After that, I am open to learn, and adjust.
        I have a sneeking suspicion that the answer will be "metaphysical". Mathematics and theory have got him about as far as he can go (for now). hmm

Will you? (IE supposing he says something like, "I can only surmise it was a Higher being")

Of course. big_smile

The chances of that being 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

No scientist is going to say, "well, I can't think of anything, therefore it must have been a god."

Although I notice you are hedging your bets.

"As long as it agrees with what I already believe," lol

lol lol lol
            Look who's hedging thier bets!  lol lol lol

That "1"  represents more than ZERO. So there is a (super minute chance?????) God IS IN that minute chance!!! Add a few more zero's, doesn't change it much!

lol lol lol
              That's supposed to be MY line? lol lol lol

That was your line........

You are SO funny! I really DID smile at that one!!! smile

Differences aside, what is the point without a little fun?

16. Fyxz Van Light profile image60
    Fyxz Van Lightposted 15 years ago

It depends on which religion you are with..
    As for me, I believe in Noah's flood.

17. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a scientific theory that the earth tilted its axis at one point, causing world wide flooding--which may very well have led to the story or myth of Noah and the flood?

I think I viewed some documentary like that on the Discovery channel.

There is always some truth in myths/legends/stories that have been passed down.

Depends on your definition of "scientific theory" I guess lol

Is there always some truth in all myths? Interesting scientific theory you put forward there lol

I especially loved the way you backed it up with proof big_smile

Perhaps you should write a book.

Hard to argue with that sort of evidence............. wink

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

MK!

Actually, I'll first have you know that I have written three books, so don't put it past me.  And, I'm actually just beginning.

And speaking as a double M.A. in art and literature with a 3.9 average overall, I think writing something connecting the great myths or 'stories' of the world to scientific thought would make a great Ph.d. thesis.  One I could definitely have published (what, after I have edited quite a few?).  In part, my thesis would be that science and other ways of knowing, such as mysticism, literature and mythos are not mutually exclusive. 

Read much Joseph Campbell?  Spinoza?

I really appreciated your help on the question I asked about hub traffic here on hubpages, but face it, sir, about some of this stuff, you assume the worst.

It's OK.  smile  I really did appreciate your help earlier and plan to use your advice with my hubs.

big_smile

Well, it was rather a sweeping statement.......

In the meantime, I await the thesis. No I have never read either of those authors. But I do have much experience that tells me many things that look dissimilar on the surface are actually closely related.

As to every myth being based in truth, I am sure that is the case. As some one else mentioned - in an older time with no mass communication and a belief that the world ended where the sun set, I am sure Hurricane Katrina would have resulted in a "The day the whole world flooded," myth. big_smile

Hardly the basis for a scientific theory that there actually was a world wide flood. Especially when the evidence we have points against it.

My pleasure - any time. smile

18. knolyourself profile image60
    1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Interesting!

19. knolyourself profile image60

I always like the theory. Pole shift explains things like Mamoths frozen alive, that is hard to explain otherwise. Theory is we are due for another pole shift in Dec. 2012.

20. knolyourself profile image60

Myth was Homer's, 'The Iliad'. Science was any archeology that may have shown evidence of such an event was real. A good documentary
    is: "In Search of the Trojan War", 1985 by Michael Wood.

Ah, but where did Homer get it from? ..........

21. knolyourself profile image60

"Ah, but where did Homer get it from? .........."
    According to '"In Search of the Trojan War", 1985 by Michael Wood.',
    there are these poet performers who still exist today who have 'The Illiad' memorized word for word and perform it. Don't rememember, it has been a long time, but Wood may have suggested that Homer got it from such, proceeding even him. In any event such a war would probably have become lore.

22. BDazzler profile image79

Good! My goal is certainly not to insult.  As a point of clarification, it is not that you don't know anything. It's just that people who clearly know more than either of us have other opinions.

You are an absolute expert on the hub pages environment. Your comments to other hubbers on how to use the system, and how to benefit from it have been excellent.Your hub on getting a page one ranking on google, for example was brilliant. The fact that you share your experiences on hub pages about what works, what doesn't and are transparent about your earnings is extremely helpful.   

You are also an expert on "the finer things" of life, better yet you seem to be able to advise people how to do it on a reasonable budget. I would not hesitate to take your advice on which wine to serve and under what conditions, for example.

I also respect tour willingness to help new hubbers find their way around the system,  To be able to write persuasively, successfully targeting a culture that is not your own is quite a respectable accomplishment.

Love my pastor, but he's not my scientific adviser wink And frankly, I don't trust most "professional" holy men. .. Well, my degree is in Science and Math with a Major in Computer Information Systems and minor in Chemistry, including a heavy emphasis on Chemical Engineering. I've written AI and physics simulations for a few major corporations,  In the 1994 I had a software engineering book published by Wiley and Sons  (ISBN:  0-471-58371-5) that was still on Microsoft's recommended reading list in 2005.  I made recommendations to that same publisher in through the 1990's regarding the accuracy and quality of various software engineering book proposals. I've testified as an expert witness in software engineering in Federal Court. 

Additionally I have been cited in ground breaking simulation academic work such as "Object-Oriented Analysis of Biological Neural Networks using OMT" by Reinhold Huber and Roland Schwaiger.

So, using my own experience and education, I'm able to distinguish the plausibility of the validity of the computer simulation created by Dr Baumgardner and pseudo-science. The paragraph in the report that says "By the numbers. Terra proves that this is true--or, more precisely, that it could be true, provided one accepts certain assumptions. Run Terra one way, and you can watch Noah's flood take place before your eyes, mathematically calculated by a supercomputer. Run Terra another way, and you get the standard geological story of 4.6 billion years."  is certainly plausible. To write off  a simulation developed at Los Almos as "pseudo-science" because it supports a conclusion you don't agree with is not logical.

In addition to my own technical background and that of my friends and colleagues in the software engineering field, I also get scientific advice from a close friend of mine with a PhD in molecular biology and another with an advanced engineering degree (Master's level) who's also been an instructor in various science classes at both the secondary and university level. We worked together on a publication for Finite Element Analysis. Usually the three of us will debate or discuss various topics over coffee or via email depending on our schedules, which then leads to various readings and research. I also have another friend with a Phd in computer science with a specialty in using it for ancient language translation, 

Naw, but one time God did tell me what page of which physics book to look at when I was stumped on a particularly complex problem with angular momentum during an automobile crash simulation.  I said, without expecting an answer "God, what the #$#43 am I doing wrong?"  Danged if He didn't answer me. Wigged me out a bit, because it was before I actually believed God would speak to me.

None taken! big_smile And, I am maintaining that that someone, more scientifically qualified than either of us, at the Los Almos Lab, has disagreed with your position and has sponsored a scientific debate on this very topic. To be fair, Dr. Graham Mark, someone also more qualified than either of us, does agree with your position (http://www.globalflood.org/letters/Mark200195.html)

You may  be satisfied with the conclusions you've drawn based on your own reading and research, clearly, some other people would have liked to discuss it here. And there has been some valid scientific research done on the topic, so there is a case to be made for placing the discussion here.

Using ridicule and mockery to silence those who disagree with you, may be fun (you seem to enjoy it!) But,it is certainly not "scientific" by any definition.   And since your stated goals are to use ridicule and mockery to silence those who disagree with you..

That's an agenda.  Which implies a bias.  Your stated goal is to make people who offend you (or your personal sense of rationality, or whatever sense you use to define acceptability )  feel uncomfortable for the stated purpose of discouraging their opinions. You use your high intellegence and superior writing skill to out-maneuver your intellectual and philosophical opponents.  And you're very, very good at it.  While I don't respect all of your views, specifically on science and religion, I have the utmost respect for your skills and intelligence.   

Challenging both religious and scientific pre-conceptions is key to any advancement in understanding. Young earther's are challenging the established assumptions.  Even if they are incorrect (which I neither grant, nor deny) the challenge itself can be valuable, if for no other reason than it calls for a re-examination of certain key assumptions.

Shalom!

Ah, well, some might take it as mildly insulting to be told that their opinion on certain subjects is worthless. but not me.

Well, good to know that you do respect something of my opinions. You might be interested to know that I myself consider my hubpages and writing accomplishments to have taken considerably less effort on my part than my knowledge of religion, geology and geography.

I also consider myself to be much, much more knowledgeable about religion and geology, have studied them in-depth for far more time than I have studied the hubpages environment, and would consider my knowledge on these subjects to far outweigh my knowledge on hubpages.

But you dismiss them because you have already made your decisions and are not open to anything that disagrees with your "knowledge." Not because you do not respect my knowledge.

What a shame, because you are missing out on my real skills. Oh well.......

Well, I respect the opinions of the people who did write it off as pseudo science. And while I am impressed with your scientific credentials, I have no way of checking them, and question your motivation in this matter.

Interesting. I do this all the time. When I have something buried in my subconcious that I cannot reach, I relax, stop worrying about it and let it go - and as if by magic, the answer comes. I learned to do this through the study and practice of Aikido. In fact, if I have an area of expertise that transcends all my other abilities, Aikido is it. Of course, this is not really magic, and I do not feel the need to subscribe this to an intervention by a supreme god. But I can see why you would need to.

Not really. The subject has already been settled, and hanging on to out-dated church doggma and falsifying data to back up that dogma does not really count as a base for opening the discussion.

And the question originally posed was -

Which I would say we have conclusively proven to belong in the irrational beliefs section.

Well, quoting me out of context like that is not really fair. I understand that it helps your argument, by making me look bad, but I believe I was referring to the religious spammers who come on to hubpages, drop a bunch of religious preaching and then disappear.

They are not here to discuss, merely to push their particular brand of hypocritical rubbish. I also treat the non religious spammers the same way. As you have just said earlier, you respect my ability and willingness to help others here. One of those ways I do this is to discourage spammers, religious or otherwise. I have even been attacked outside of hubpages for getting rid of a bunch of forex spammers.

Yet you have twisted this to suit some ulterior motive that involves me getting rid of anyone who disagrees with me. Not only is this not fair of you, it suggests you have a much lower opinion of me than you claim. 

I appreciate that this is the christian way, but still, not really cricket old man. To be honest, I do find this mildly offensive because it insults my intelligence. Not only that, but it calls into question your motivations and the truth of everything else you are saying. 

There is a big difference between challenging scientific facts because you have new facts, but it is fair to say this is not the case here. A very tiny percentage of religious scientists are attempting to prove that their religious doctrine is still valid after being dis-proven.

Young earthers are not trying to challenge the established "assumptions," - they are trying to re-introduce previously accepted religious doctrine.

And using the word assumption is another example of twisting words to suit. I know it is the christian way, but I do actually find this offensive also. Politics and semantics. I know, I know, the bible is a political book, but I would have thought some one of your obvious intelligence would not feel the need to stoop to this......

There is not an "assumption" that the earth and universe are old. There are a number of scientific theories, (and I use the word "theory' in the scientific sense) from a wide range of scientific disciplines, backed up with vast amounts of evidence to prove it.

Any discussion on Noah's flood belongs firmly in the irrational beliefs section.

23. profile image57
    naslund26posted 15 years ago

This question is just like the creation of the universe did god place an exploding ball of fury in the universe that lead to the big bang,and why did the pope say its alright to study the universe after the big bang, but also said dont contemplate it before the big bang. science or religion its every ones own call interesting question, you can ponder this till the end of time or is there an end of time.

24. knolyourself profile image60

"or is there an end of time"
    There would be no time without memory.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so......

Illusion, isn't that a Hindu concept? Are you saying you have become a Hindu?
        Or is it still accepted by the scientific community that time is a physical property? According Einstein's (theory of relativity) , E=MC2?  hmm

That was a Douglas Adams quote from the Hitch hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Worth a read if you haven't done so. If you can stand the heresy big_smile

I think Hitch Hiker's Guide (and all of it's sequels etc.) is one of the funniest things I've ever read. As far as the Heresy goes, I imagine God saying something like Morgan Freeman in "Bruce Almighty" ... "I'm not much for heresy, but that did make me laugh".

I loved the dinosaurs with the placards. smile

25. needful things profile image65
    needful thingsposted 15 years ago

(*thinking of the ark)

a tremendous feat in logistics... even more so if we include the dinosaurs. 

Just think what happens when one of Noah's sons forgets to feed the T-Rex.

According to the creationists, T-Rex was a small vegetarian at that time. He only became a meat eater after the sin began. Or something.......big_smile

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't think the creationists have anything against carnivorism - they like meat too much. In fact, they tend to see vegetarians as Godless heathens.

26. knolyourself profile image60

"Just think what happens when one of Noah's sons forgets to feed the T-Rex."
    T-Wrecks.

27. JGarrick profile image57
    JGarrickposted 15 years ago

Noah belongs in religion and history. It is written in the holy bible, Scientists today have no evidence of a great flood. But all we need is to be good and have faith in the creator, So that he does'nt destroy us soon. But one day it will happen,not by flood ,but by fire. This time.

Well, I agree with you 50%. We should do our best to make the history books as accurate as possible. So no talking snakes and floods. Good luck with your bonfire wink

28. profile image0
    jgrimes331posted 15 years ago

Science

29. Junkster profile image59
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

Like the rest of that book I think the whole thing is an impressive story from a wild imagination.

Good life lessons though, although all I got form this one was not to buy houses on flood plains! big_smile

Wild imagination and good life lessons? How do they come together? Do we "imagine" good life lessons? Who has the best "imagined life lessons"?

30. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

Noah's Flood belongs to religion as science has not disproved the the facts.smile

1. RKHenry profile image62
      RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sure it has.  Only science can prove a flood did exist-"the Black Sea" and the odd formation on top of a Turkish Mt. is just a rock not the ark.

Is that a "fact"?

Yes.  A flood caused the formation of the Black sea.  Satellite images and ultrasonic sound waves of the mountain, show the odd transformation at the top- is a rock.  What type of rock, has yet to be determined.

31. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 15 years ago

Science is the study of observable evidence.

Religion is faith in stories that have been passed on for generations.

Sometimes they overlap (like when the Shroud of Turin was exposed as a fake by carbon-dating) but usually they deal with different phenomena, mostly because religion doesn't delve into details while science does.

"Noah's Flood" is a story that has no fossil or archeological record that be verified. So if you choose to believe in the story of "Noah's Flood", that is a matter of your personal beliefs.

Science probably does not have enough conclusive evidence about an event that supposedly happened thousands of years ago enough to prove it or disprove it. Science is clear about what it can render a "verdict" on - it simply says "not enough data to form a conclusion."

You do not have to be an atheist to doubt where the story of Noah's Ark was a reality, or whether it was folklore invented by someone ages ago and passed on through the generations as a nice story. You just have to not be a religious literalist.

You are aware that the head of the lab that did the carbon dating on the shroud retracted his findings, for scentific reasons only, right?

Uh oh, here we go...big_smile

Ditto

2. livelonger profile image87

I'm gathering from the most recent two responses that this subject has been dealt with already in the forums?

At any rate, no I didn't know that. Even if, for whatever reason, the shroud could be proven to be ~2000 years old, that certainly doesn't mean that it came from Jesus, or that Jesus had supernatural powers. People embellish stories all the time.

I wrote a fairly extensive hub that (with the exception of one particularly obnoxious troll) most people found to be fair and balanced on the issue of the shroud.  Regardless of it's origin, it's fascinating. 

One of the things that fascinates me about the shroud discussion is that I get more "it's not really from Jesus" arguments from Christians than I do from atheists.  It seems they think that if it does prove to be the actual burial cloth of Jesus, then their faith would somehow be diminished. 

As you say, the best science can say is "it's inconclusive".

1. livelonger profile image87

Interesting - not what I would have imagined either.

Absolutely. The older the claim, the harder it is to find evidence that answers questions conclusively. I personally don't have a problem saying "I don't know" about these sorts of matters, but you will definitely find people of all sorts who insist on a conclusion that is impossible to prove. smile

32. aka-dj profile image64

If science cannot "prove" it, nor "disprove" it, it can stay on the table (of discussion).

And that was actually my original point. I'm always up for discussion, regardless of what has "already been proven" (one way or the other).

So, the point stays valid. PERIOD.
        This is what I have said from the beginning. Untill creation, or the flood or the ressurrection,or whatever is not conclusivly "solved or disproven", it stays as a VIABLE option! I keep getting hammered because it does not "fit" the scientiffic model. It may  NEVER fit that. Then what?
        I just got done watching a story on CI channel about a woman who killed her husband. Without going into too much detail, the evidence was "factual and forensicsally" presented. Upon reaching the verdict, the jury convicted her of manslaughter, and she got 7years. The sentence and the subsequent verdict, and punishment were appealed, and on a technicality upheld. So, she got a re-trial. This time she was acquited.
        So what's my point? Well, it's simply this, it was all about "interpretation" of the evidence! Where's the truth? No-one will ever know, because no-one but the two involved were present at the event. You can believe whatever you want, but you will NEVER know for sure.

Okay let me get this straight.

The fact that they have proved there was a great flood means what?  Because that fact HAS been proven.  The formation of the Dead Sea.

Has it? There are MANY here on hubpages that would dissagree with you. What is your real question? hmm

RK ... I realize we've gotten off to a bad start ... and I do appologize for being a bit ... sarcastic in the past ...

The "fact' is that the Dead Sea exists.  One theory has not been "disproven" is that it was casued by the great flood. 

We draw conclusions based on facts.  And all of us at one time or another will present our conclusions as fact.  Which makes for intersting discussions. smile

Hey thats cool. 
              It is my understanding that they do know what caused the flood.  An earthquake.  Now whether is was divined by God- that theory is yet to be proved.  What do you think?

2. Mark Knowles profile image57

That is ridiculous dj. This means that the Flying Spaghetti Monster should be part of any serious scientific discussion because it is not possible to prove He did not create the world.

This discussion belongs in the irrational beliefs section. big_smile

I'm up for the FSM being part of any scientific dissussion! big_smile

33. aka-dj profile image64

I do not refute your invention. I just don't believe in him/her/it!
    Maybe in a few millenia, someone will read these threads and start a new religion. I don't know.

34. Sufidreamer profile image77
    Sufidreamerposted 15 years ago

I think that I am with BDazzler on this one, with his shroud angle.

I do not take the Bible literally, but there are some truths in there - Schliemann discovered Troy through directions given in the Iliad, and which were surprisingly accurate. The journey of Jason and his Argonauts had been traced to the Caucasus. Tim Severin followed the directions of the Irish monk, Brendan, and made a strong case that the guy could have discovered the Americas long before the Vikings.

Therefore, it is not an either/or question, but both. Only an opinion, but I believe that there is some underlying truth in the Bible, and science/archaeology can use that as a starting point.

Some scientists have postulated that the flooding of the Black sea was the source of the flooding story. Others that it goes back even further, to the flooding of the Mediterranean. It could have been rising sea-levels.

Who knows, but it is all very interesting.

I guess I should've also noted that "religious" archaeologists concur that the area and the body of water of Noah's time was the Black Sea.  They have found evidence of Noah's lost homeland.  The Black Sea has no bacteria to deteriorate what lies between the water and muck.  Now, so far they haven't found a city limits sign, that said, "Noah Lived Here."  But, it is clear if the story is true.  Science is going to have to prove it. Want information go to historychannel.com

1. Sufidreamer profile image77
        Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi RK,

I remember seeing a documentary a few years ago about the Black Sea. Nothing conclusive, either way, but certainly very interesting.

Many mythologies contain stories about flood events, so something happened. As to what, that is the unknown part.

Word of mouth can stick around for generations. I remember reading about one of the islands caught in the Asian Tsunami. The people living there had folk stories about flood events - when the sea disappeared, they knew to travel inland, away from the coast. Not a single inhabitant died.

Yeah, I saw that one too.

There are some parts of the Bible that are litterally true and some figuratively true ... the fun part (and I really do mean it is fun) is the journey of discovering the difference ... the bible points to a greater reality ... the Kingdom of Heaven ... followers of the King are colonists on this reality. (They Kingdom Come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven) ... those of us who follow the King have a responsiblity to live like citizens of Heaven on Earth.

The bible tells us what that looks like. Now, which is real, which is metaphor ... don't know, but I'm having a lot of fun learning, I've been wrong on both accounts.  ...  As I get to know people who have died and come back to life and who have been miraculously healed, I discover that all though the words that are used to describe the beliefs don't change, the meanings behind them certainly do.

Issues Veratis wrote a hub, "How long is a day" : http://hubpages.com/hub/How-long-is-a-day
      In it, I comment about "Boundary Conditions" and "Initial Conditions".

Since we can't conclusively know experimentally the initial state, we can only make assumtions.  Change one assumption and the equations change radically.

Assuming such a flood occured, since we cannot determine, experimentally the state of the world before the flood, we cannot prove such a flood occured, because all data is post flood.

This is why I believe that the computer simulation I discussed previously is valid.  Under valid scientific conditions, the simulation showed that it was theoretically possible that the flood occured. But, his initial conditions were radically different than were generally accepted. 

The general acceptance, like it or not, is a matter of "faith" ... faith in the process or faith in the data, or faith in the theory.  How is that different from faith in the FSM or faith in a magical invisible superbeing?  It's not.

Everybody believes something, even if it's a belief in non-belief big_smile

Only people who believe in a magical invisible super being think this way. Once you start accepting things on faith alone, you dispense with all logic, measurability and testability. And you start thinking that just because you take everything on faith - everyone else does.

There is a huge difference between me believing that if I jump off the top of a ten story tall building, I will fall to the ground, and you believing in a god.

But - they are the same to you. big_smile

Yeah, actually I'd give you better odds of flying off that building than there not being a God...

And you can wear my tin foil hat anytime you'd like! big_smile

Next time I am in NO, I expect to see you jumping off a building to prove your faith lol

After an appropriate quantity of JD lol

Satan tried that one on Jesus ... sans JD big_smile  My current goal is to develop enough faith to walk on water.

35. profile image57
    Hell N0posted 14 years ago

If Noah's flood had to cover the entire globe with every animal represented on the Ark, then the story should go with Luny Tunes.  If as I believe, the flood was a localized event with mostly livestock represented to get Noah's family going, then it should be religion.  I say this because there can never be scientific proof for such a thing.  I think we can pretty much rule out a global flood though.

AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree and the entire world wasn't covered with water as some of it, was still under water and many places in the world did not recede for thousands of years. I also agree that science has not disproven this course of events.smile

1. profile image0
        jjrubioposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree that there were always some bodies of water but the earth was flooded. And alot of the water was pulled to the polar caps and froze. If all the water from all the polar caps was to melt the earth would be flooded again.....Something to think about. But the bible says God promised he would never flood the earth Completely again...the Rainbow is a symbol of his promise. ( there was a cloud cover over the earth before the flood. thus the rainbow could never have been seen before without direct rays from the sun...it never rained before the flood either. there was always dew and moisture to sustain all plants)...Its all in the bible

2. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If the flood did not cover the entire earth, then men would simply just have to go over the mountain to be safe from the flood.

God made the way for all to escape, that wanted to escape. Once the door to the Ark was sealed, no one else was allowed in. They didn't believe Noah at the time, and they still don't believe it.

1. profile image0

I agree 100% With Sir Dent on this.

I believe it, you just went into deeper detail:)

1. profile image0

Hey AE- YOu have mail!!!

I am going there now..::::::::::smile

1. profile image0

ok....

36. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Maybe, only the known world was flooded as at that stage they didn't know about the Americas and Australia

1. profile image0

A hub I did not long after I joined here. It explains in a little more detail.

37. profile image57

No, I don't believe all men in the world were killed.  This is a deep subject but to discredit science to such a severe degree is to discredit God as well.  If I take the time I can show scripturally that it was not a global flood.  Scientifically, it's impossible and the word for earth could just as well mean for a particular part of the land.  But as far as science.  Can you imagine the tidal waves present if the waters were above the height of Mount Everest?  Only a steal boat could begin to withstand such turbulance (and where would all of the air taking up that space go?).  There is not nearly enough water in the atmosphere to do this either.  And if this amount of water came out of the earth for this event only, it would boil all life within the sea.  If you pay close attention to scripture and look up some key Greek words, you will not have to be so dogmatic with the flood or some 6000 year old Earth nonsense.

1. profile image0

Then the Bible must be wrong when it said that men's hearts were evil continually? It must be wrong when, "Noah found grace in the eyes of God?"

You have bene going around hubpages telling everyone that they were wrong about many things. You say you have proof, but all you do is direct people to look at bibletruths.com.

You say you are a child of God and believe in Jesus, but yet you do not preach what Jesus aid to preach. You only preach against others who proclaim the gospel of Christ.

Now who are you really? In Revelation Jesus mentions the Nicolaitines. They are those who call themselves christians, but in fact are worshipers of Baal.

Science is man made. Is there any possible way that a man can think higher than God? Is there any possible way that any man can have more knowledge than God?

God could have put Noah and his family along with all the animals on a stick and they would have survived if God had wanted it done that way.

1. profile image0

I have to agree again with Sir Dent. There is no way you can prove scripturally your theory. and another thing...The bible has been stating many things that science had discredited and later scientist found out they were wrong...Take the case of the Exodus. There were tombs found a few years ago with Egyptian writing in it that states the same story of the Exodus as the Bible has been stating all along.

1. profile image0

Thanks for the support jj. I am out for the night.

38. profile image57

The ignorance of Sir Dentalot has reached proportions unfathamable.  He actually has the audacity to constantly say I discredit scripture when I support it.  What I discredit is evil interpretations of it.  Now believing that the bible teaches a global flood isn't the worst thing someone can believe and teach.  Let's see, the worst teaching is. . . . . .what is it now?  Oh hell, I can't remember.  Anyway, if that other thing doesn't drive away people with any sense from the scriptures, then teaching that the world was covered with impossibly high amounts of water would.  Guys, the Ark couldn't have been big enough to hold every animal in the world 4500 years ago (and if you're insane enough to believe dinosaurs lived that recently and were on the boat, that's a double dose of daaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh for you).  And how da false doctrine hell did all of the species get to where the Ark was.  Did they. . . .swim the mighty seas?  Oh, as Dentine says, God just magically picks them up and moves them without giving even one hint of this in scripture.  Yeah, God can do anything He wants.  But God invented the laws of science for us to discover and observe.  And when mirricles took place, He says that He did them and science will not totally discredit them. 

News flash:  The Earth is very old and there was no global flood.  And Dent, I knew this long before I ever heard of a Ray Smith.  I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that we agree on these things.

There are hints in scripture that support what I'm saying.  God is not on the side of ignorance.  Give it up.

1. profile image0

How ignorant a rant one can post. It's easy to say what you want to say, but yet not one shred of evidence to support what you say.

If you would look, I have never said that the earth is young. I have never said it is old either. Yopu are attempting to put words in my mouth that I never said.

Since you only like to insult and rant and rave, I will not comment on an other of your posts until you bring some evidence from the Bible as you say you have. .

39. Shil1978 profile image88
    Shil1978posted 14 years ago

The pairs of animals that Noah is supposed to have taken along with him is what baffles me. I mean could that have been possible? If so, wouldn't there be ample fossil evidence of all those animals in and around the possible site?

Some hubbers have made mention of the documentary about Noah's Flood - I've seen it too. They didn't find any fossil evidence either. But that apart, the story is just so incredulous.

40. profile image57

That's right.  All of the animals of the world would have to have fossils in the area where the Ark was probably launched.  There is no one place that ever harbored every creature alive.  But don't ya'll fundies get confused with the facts. 

By the way, I recall one poster who says that the polar ice caps originated in a flash freeze due to the flood.  Is it possible that the close to 150,000 seasonal rings going deep into those ice sheets were mirraculously transfered there as well?  Or are those rings just made up by scientists to confirm their old earth story?  It's one ring a year folks.  The reason they couldn't find them furthur down is because the earth's seizmic pressure destroyed them furthur down.  Seasonal rings don't magically appear in a flash freeze.  Again, there was no global flood.

41. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

I think it was a local one.  Maybe Noah's toilet overflowed.  Oops, that's blasphemous.  Seriously think it was only in the known world area.  Read Sir Dent's hub and agree with him

Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What ? That Noah lived 225 million years ago? lol

42. profile image57

Oh come on!!  Noah didn't flood his toilet.  That's outrageous.  It was all dem dinosaurs back then crapping everywhere.  god was trying to wash the dino dung from the face of the earth.  Well, he accidently killed everyone in the process.  See, Noah had no clue about god's intentions.  He built the Ark to escape the horendous smell.  Sooooo, I don't think they took no dino crappers onto the boat.

43. profile image57

Either God didn't flood the earth a second time, or the scriptures lie.  (In the the beginning the Earth was covered with water).

Every word below is irrefutably talking about the creation.  None of it is talking about Noah’s flood.   

Pangaea??  (Possibly)
    Gen. 1:9  And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear:  and it was so (or came to be so).  And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called He Seas:  and God saw that it was good.v.11  And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.  And the earth brought forth grass. . . .

Global Flood??  (Uuuuuuuummmm,,,,,No!!)

Genesis:
    Talking to the seas-v.10  And broke up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors, And said, Hitherto shall thou come, but no further:  and here shall thy proud waves by stayed?

Job 38:11  When I said, Unto here shall you come but shall not proceed farther, And here a limit is set to the pride of your billows (waves).

Jer 5:22  Fear ye not Me?  Saith the Lord:  will ye not tremble at My presence, which have placed the sand for the bound of the sea by a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass it:  and though the waves therof toss themselves, yet can they not prevail; though they roar, yet can they not pass over it?  (except for Noah’s flood?)

Job 26:10
    He hath compassed the waters with bounds, until the day and night come to an end.

Pro 8:29
    When He established for the sea its statutory limit, so that the waters may not pass beyond His biddin, when He delineated the foundations of the earth.

Speaking of the creation.  Not Noah’s flood:

Psa 104:6  Thou coveredst it with the deep as with a garment:  the waters stood above the mountains.  At Thy rebuke they fled; at the voice of Thy thunder they hasted away.  They go up by the mountains; they go down by the valleys unto the place which thou hast founded for them.

V.9  Thou hast set a bound that they may not pass over, that they turn not again to cover the earth.

(With the exception of Noah’s flood because god had no clue that he would do such a thing?)

44. profile image57

By the way, science agrees that the Earth was flooded billions of years ago before volcanoes and seizmic activity pushed the lands out of the sea.

Science laughs to scorn a global flood a few thousand years ago.

45. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

So looking forward to this.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8820453_f248.jpg

1. EncephaloiDead profile image56
      EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What's funny about the casting of Crowe is that he isn't actually the one with major anger issues. wink

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Stop winking. It's gonna be epic. smile

1. EncephaloiDead profile image56
          EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's gonna be terrible. wink

46. Jake Carson profile image55
    Jake Carsonposted 8 years ago

that “Captain Kutchie Pelaez” of “Kutcharitaville” over

in Asheville, NC sure enough is “One Wild and Crazy Guy!” All the women

are so wild about him and his Famous Cheese Burgers and Key Lime Pies,

Hellaciously Fantastic Tender and Delicious Prime Ribs and Prime Steaks.

Drop Off the Bone Bar-B-Q Ribs, Pulled Pork and Beef Brisket.

His Drop Dead Gorgeous Wife “Anita” together in they’re Historic Key

Lime Pie Factory and Grill, where the Smiles and Ovens are always Warm

and Friendly, Inviting You to Spend A Little Time Resting and Enjoying

Your Time in They’re Little “Key West Island” near the Biltmore Estate

Close
    By….Kind of Funny You Know, The World’s Greatest Key Lime Pies Aren’t
    Even Baked In The Keys But At Kutcharitaville By Captain Kutchie
    Pelaez and His Lovely Wife Anita In The Carolina Mountains!….Go
    Figure!!!!!!!….

You’ll Soon Learn Why People Call “Captain Kutchie

Pelaez “The Most Interesting Man In The World!”…But don’t take our word

for it, follow the Long Lines to “Anita and Captain Kutchie Pelaez’s Key

West-Kutcharitaville Key Lime Pie Factory and Grill’. “The Place To Be”

since 1976!

Don’t be fooled into thinking that Jimmy Buffett

designed or had anything to do with this place. Just Ask Miss Sunshine Smith! That would be an insult.

Kutchie’s was here long before anyone ever heard of JB……Sheesh!

Donald Trump loves KUTCHARITAVILLE so much that he often has take-out

flown to him in NEW YORK CITY! WOW! He must really love those original

cheese burgers in paradise, we sure do, they have our vote for sure.

My best friend said she heard last week that Donald Trump and Stephen

Colbert together are planing on a Welcome to the USA Party for “Pope Francis”

to be held soon over in Asheville, NC at “Kutcharitaville”.

Some party that will be for sure!

Think, I’ll just get all the girls together and we can all Nude-Up and

go too “Captain Kutchie’s” and Get Drunk and Screw! Let’s Go Y’all!

Captain Kutchie’s Key Lime Pies Are World Famous For Giving Everyone

That Eats Them They’re Very First “PIEGASAM”….That’s Probably why one

must be over 18 years of age to purchase or have an adult present.

…Oh and all that Great Fall Off The Bone Bar-B-Q Slow Smoking, “Carly

Fiorino” say’s that she Can Smell They’re Butts Miles Away!….Or Maybe She

Was Just Smelling “Hillary”!…..OMG?

…The Late Great “Captain Tony Tarracino” of Key West Fame was an Old Friend of “Captain Kutchie Pelaez”. Together the two of them Sailed Many Adventures Not Known To Much Of The World! Cheese Burgers, Rum, Scotch, Cigarettes, Cigars, Treasure Maps, Pizzas, Chocolate Bars and Key Lime Pies Helped The Two Make History. If You Can Believe It Even “Mel Fisher” Was Known To Hang With Them!….

Captain Kutchie The Key Lime Pie Whisperer!…

Thank “GOD” That Noah Had Two of Kutchie’s Key Lime Pies On The Ark!….
    And Don't Forget "Ernest Hemingway's"  (Original Thinking Post) ! There Was Only One And "Captain Kutchie" Has It. Don't Miss It.

Hillary Sucks!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)