jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Selflessness is Unexistant

1. cruelkindness profile image73
    cruelkindnessposted 4 years ago

Aren't we all selfish.  We are born to experience life as an individual.  In the end you will only have you and your experiences.  I try to be selfish with good intent to not hurt others.  If i'm not doing it for me than someone else is using their selfishness. 

So isn't it the unavoidable to be selfish?

1. stopalltheclocks profile image77
      stopalltheclocksposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree! Every 'selfless' action usually ends up benefiting you or there is a unconscious reason why you are doing the 'selfless' deed. Like you said, it's unavoidable!

2. 0
      Motown2Chitownposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Nonexistent is the word you are looking for.

2. janshares profile image87
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

I agree that we are born selfish and are selfish at our core. But I do not agree that selflessness is nonexistent. I think as we mature, through having healthy 'give and take' interaction with others, we become less selfish and more selfless. We grow empathy and compassion as we develop socially . . . . provided that we received decent childhoods and all the love that comes with it. hmm  Unfortunately, it does seem that most people remain/are selfish.

3. Sherry Hewins profile image95
    Sherry Hewinsposted 3 years ago

I do not think that being selfless is a good goal. If you don't look out for yourself, who will? That's not to say we shouldn't all have empathy for other people. Doing good deeds makes us feel good, so it's a win/win. We can help others while feeling better about ourselves.

I don't think it's healthy to always put others ahead of yourself. Even when people do that, I think it's still not really selfless, because they feel good by being the martyr.

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 3 years ago

Would one trust selfish person? I have been there when the decision was made. Not in my best interest. Most people that I have known
    and know are not selfish at all, and if they were I wouldn't know them.

5. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 3 years ago

I am astounded that so few understand what it is to not be selfish, shallow or apathetic... sad
    I believe the art of humility should be every genuine person's foundation and guiding motivation.... it surely can not be that hard to selflessly give one's selfish traits away... smile

6. cjpooja26 profile image75
    cjpooja26posted 3 years ago

I don't think, this kind of human being can exist and if he's great with some extraordinary powers.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

People have died to protect others.  That is not selfish.

8. janshares profile image87
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

I observe that selfish traits surface most while driving. It is so sad when someone cannot simultaneously slow down and move to the side on a narrow street so BOTH of you can pass safely. sad Or the person that must be first and won't let you merge in; or the person who bangs on the horn because they are impatient. I think it's time for me to write another hub about this with the focus on selfishness.