jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Have you ever lost a student, for example to jail or suicide?

1. buckleupdorothy profile image94
    buckleupdorothyposted 4 years ago

How would you, or did you, deal with this horrible situation?

The link below is to one teacher's reflection on the suicide of her student.

http://chronicle.com/article/The-Sudden … _medium=en

1. leenamartha profile image60
      leenamarthaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I never lost a student, I can understand your feelings very well.

2. randomcreative profile image94
      randomcreativeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No, but I know teachers who have.  So awful.

2. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 4 years ago

I've lost several students. One was a sweet boy named Carlton. One Friday, he gave me a photo of himself, telling me he didn't want me to ever forget him. Two days later, on Sunday, he was killed in a 4-wheeler accident. Another young man committed suicide. Yet another was killed in a car accident. Another is on death row for multiple murders. All these have affected me greatly.

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Yes, I have lost several students over the years to violence. Many had probation officers visiting the school and a few were killed on the streets during gang wars.
    it s sad to see them from age 5 to adult and end up this way.

4. tirelesstraveler profile image87
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

On the way to graduation ceremony. You have to talk, give hugs and get hugs.

5. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

Suicide is a very difficult situation. My son lost 2 bff, there were 4 of them, always together at each others rez's tongue harmless but mischievous, nobody knew what they were going to do or say, except they had this rep of 'wandering goofs'. They loved it. Then poof, 2 gone overnight. They had gone through elementary school to high school together and slumber parties. My son stays in touch with their fathers and tries to keep up the 'antics' but it's not the same, for him or his cousin. sad It affects not just one home, but ripples out to many.