jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

when does death begin?

1. 0
    sandra rinckposted 8 years ago

I was watching or reading once, can't quite remember where but there was this test.  A swab that you put in your mouth that gives you a ph reading for you body and depending on your ph, determines whether you have stopped growing and have started dying. 

I wonder, is there a "death" cell in our genes that determines when we die?

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 8 years ago

Like a terminator switch. Interesting idea and concept.

3. aka-dj profile image80
    aka-djposted 8 years ago

I haven't heard that, but I have seen a study that showed the weight of a person dropped (on average) by about 800 grams just after death. The question that was asked as a result was, "does the spirit/soul have a measurable weight?" hmm

1. Rochelle Frank profile image88
      Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Death does relax sphincter muscles-- that could account for some weight loss, and dehydration starts very quickly.

Philosophically, some could argue that death starts at birth. .  . others might say there is no death.

1. aka-dj profile image80
        aka-djposted 8 years ago in reply to this

How would muscle relaxation produce a weight loss? The body was not moved off the (scled" bed. Whatever fluids were in the body just prior, were still accounted for, moments after.
        hmm

2. 0
      sandra rinckposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I actually did watched something about that on History channel and the theory was inconclusive.

I think it was 20 grams, and the weight loss came from the air and other things that are expelled from the body after death such as urine and fecies.

1. aka-dj profile image80
        aka-djposted 8 years ago in reply to this

OOH YUK.
        Death is messy huh?
        Lord deliver me from this kind of an end. Amen.

1. 0
          sandra rinckposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Well at least you wont have to clean it up! lol smile

working