jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Intersex? Never heard of it, but this is an interesting story

1. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

Hey Hubbers,

Just curious what you think about this?

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/ma … ealth.html

Male outside - Female organs inside.

I find it interesting to say the least. wink

1. kerryg profile image86
      kerrygposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It used to be called hermaphroditism, if that makes it any more familiar. About 1-2% of people are some degree of intersex.

Cagsilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No Kerry. It doesn't help. Still never heard of it. Sorry. I read the article and it mentioned that, but I was still clueless about it.

2. Sneha Sunny profile image84
      Sneha Sunnyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've heard about them. They are, I think (what I can recall), called the people of 3rd sex. They are born with both the sexes due to the presence of both female and male hormones. The appearance of the external sex organ is based on what hormone (whether male or female hormone) was more. They can choose (if they want) to be either man or woman and convert to any one sex with the help of surgery after birth. But such people becomes sterile after surgery.

Interesting. Thank you. wink

1. Sneha Sunny profile image84
          Sneha Sunnyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No problem wink big_smile

2. livelonger profile image89
    livelongerposted 4 years ago

I think it's great that this phenomenon is understood as a natural biological variant, and that those who are intersex don't have to feel like freaks.

I think it's a bit strange, but not a completely surprise. wink big_smile

2. blake4d profile image77
      blake4dposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Agreed livelonger.

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 4 years ago

I have a male friend who is intersexed, but you'd never know it.  His anatomy is all male and he has a very deep "radio" voice.  A medical exam once revealed to him he was sterile, and he barely grows a beard.  When he had a friend go through gender reassignment, he himself learned about intersex conditions and realized he had a variety of "symptoms" that matched and on a whim decided to get himself genetically tested. 

Turns out his genetic structure is XXY.  He's quite proud to no longer be what he described as "common garden variety heterosexual white male."

Cool! cool

Thank you Relache for sharing that information. smile

working