Open letter to Netflix - I have no mouth, yet I must scream!

1. oldhorse profile image80
    oldhorseposted 4 years ago

Apologies to Harlan Ellison, I have a complaint against Netflix's service, but they don't provide me any means of informing them of it.

My specific complaint is that I want to be able to choose the soundtrack for foreign language movies that I watch, but they don't provide a means of doing so for their on-line movies.  Specifically, most of their Chinese movies are from Hong Kong studios.  So, the default soundtrack is Cantonese.  Since Hong Kong is now, again, a part of China, almost all of the CD versions also include Mandarin soundtracks, but there is no way for me to choose the soundtrack.  The problem is, I understand Mandarin, but I don't understand a word of Cantonese.  I'm not the only one with this problem.  There are over a billion people on the planet who speak Mandarin, at least, as a second language, and maybe 100 million that can speak Cantonese.  Why on earth would Netflix think that people watching foreign language movies wouldn't care which language enters our ear drums, and give us a way to choose?  Or, ok I'll give up Hong Kong movies, but at least let me choose what language movies I'm looking for.  Don't dump them all in on big "Chinese" bucket.

To pour salt in this wound, Netflix's mechanisms for receiving customer input are all completely automated.  Whether we're talking about filing trouble tickets or filling out their customer surveys, I always can only answer the questions they want me to answer.  There is no way at all to enter free form input and explain my problem to them.

I have no mouth and I must scream.  Netflix is a silly excuse of a company.